Dozens of annoying things about...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

That's interesting Paul. The last time I tried it was about a year ago (we seem to get less fog here now). But at that time my lights were on Auto in the dead of winter and I seem to recall when I turned the switch to activate front and rear fog lights that the headlights did actually go off albeit briefly. Was I turning the switch too slowly? Not sure. Another wee gripe (by the way I love my Macan!) is that the brakes are grabby. Driving very slowly you have to be very gentle with your foot otherwise your passenger could end up against the windscreen although of couse safety belts prevent this. My VW Tiguan has better brakes, at least in the sense they are more progressive and gentle. In fact the Tiguan brakes are exceptional. The Porsche brakes are also very good at any other speed apart from a crawl.

PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Chilgrove wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:26 pm The last time I tried it was about a year ago (we seem to get less fog here now). But at that time my lights were on Auto in the dead of winter and I seem to recall when I turned the switch to activate front and rear fog lights that the headlights did actually go off albeit briefly.
In the UK pre facelift model, the headlamps go off when the the front fog lights are switched on. Other than the front fog lamps obviously, you end up with just the side lights (LED strip) on. The main unit is completely off. That's what happens on my car anyway.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
amac

Post by amac »

Alfanut wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:11 am Quite a list.
I assume that there are some positives also if you’ve kept the car for 4 years?
Point 11 concerns me. Stopping the car in these situations is the drivers job, not some semi automated system. Stay alert.
Hi Alfanut

Thanks for the reply.

As you say, in most respects it is a great car. I just think that at this price point there shouldn't be so many (any) minor niggles. Most of which are the result of cost cutting.

Obviously one has to stay alert and obviously one is responsible for stopping the car but that doesn't excuse the idiocy of making an automatic braking system (which is supposed to be a safety feature) that slows the car if there is vehicle travelling at five miles an hour in front of it but does nothing if the vehicle is stationary.
amac

Post by amac »

PaulR wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:22 am Some list! I can address point 7 on the rear fog light. This is to meet regulations. Only one fog light is factory wired depending on whether the car is left or right hand drive. By only having one lit up, it helps avoid following vehicles mistakingly thinking you're braking.

Hi Paul

I have seen the argument you make but I am not sure that having one light is a legal requirement just a minimum requirement

According to the legislation ( see Paul's lin http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/11/made) one light is the minimum requirement. There is nothing to prevent a car having two rear fog lights provided they are a matched pair. Indeed I have had cars with two before.

I take your point about confusion with the brake lights but in very thick fog when visibility is just a matter of yards I am far less concerned about the type of lights in front of me that I am about the fact that there are any lights in front of me. It is also much more difficult if there is just one light to gauge how far ahead the car is is.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Chilgrove wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:26 pm That's interesting Paul. The last time I tried it was about a year ago (we seem to get less fog here now). But at that time my lights were on Auto in the dead of winter and I seem to recall when I turned the switch to activate front and rear fog lights that the headlights did actually go off albeit briefly. Was I turning the switch too slowly? Not sure. Another wee gripe (by the way I love my Macan!) is that the brakes are grabby. Driving very slowly you have to be very gentle with your foot otherwise your passenger could end up against the windscreen although of couse safety belts prevent this. My VW Tiguan has better brakes, at least in the sense they are more progressive and gentle. In fact the Tiguan brakes are exceptional. The Porsche brakes are also very good at any other speed apart from a crawl.
Try a few hard applications of the brakes from speed. This cleans off stubborn dirt and corrosion from the discs and deglazes the pads as well as helping realign them with the disc surface. Porsche brakes are pretty peerless, they spend an exceptional amount of time, money and effort to make them so.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

amac wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:47 am I have seen the argument you make but I am not sure that having one light is a legal requirement just a minimum requirement
I cannot find evidence it's a regulation, however see tip 2 here for an explanation:
https://www.powerbulbs.com/blog/2016/06/how-important-are-rear-fog-lights

I prefer two myself because of the symmetry and my perception that more lights in fog are better. Plus if one fails, I still have another. Pretty sure every car I've had pre-Macan has had two. However I do think there is some directive somewhere mandating that Porsche only fit one. I cannot imagine they're doing it for cost-cutting reasons.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
Macman

Post by Macman »

I think the law in some countries is maximum one rear fog light. Germany is one of those countries I think. I can see the reason for it with regard to avoiding confusion with brake lights. The risk is people panic braking in foggy conditions when they see a pair of bright red lights ahead of them.
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
Guy

Post by Guy »

Macman wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:59 am I think the law in some countries is maximum one rear fog light. Germany is one of those countries I think. I can see the reason for it with regard to avoiding confusion with brake lights. The risk is people panic braking in foggy conditions when they see a pair of bright red lights ahead of them.
Two fog-lights are permitted in Germany. I lived there for many years and had to modify my (usually VW) UK RHD cars to add the wiring for the dormant LH fog light, thus having two lights. I never got around to doing this on my Macan, but they didn't spot that the single light was the wrong side on the TUV (MOT) test.
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

Re 4. Make sure that the option for auto-recirculation is switched On and then set the fan setting to soft (in settings). This helps quite a lot.
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Nuclear Nick my brakes have been like this from day one. I have more or less become used to it now so it does not bother me too much otherwise I would have called for a warranty claim. My car is now 3.5 years old and I do not use the brakes very much. (Discs hardly worn at all).