Battery conditioner/charger

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

is the CTEK MXS 5.0 compatible with the battery size A/H, Amps and battery type?

Driver77

Post by Driver77 »

Tried my CTEK this evening into the cigarette port both in the centre console and storage bin and neither seem to be able to charge the battery. My 911 has a port in the pax footwell and works a treat. Anyone any thoughts, can’t find anything in the manual.
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Has to connect within a short time or the socket 'goes to sleep'.
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Guy

Post by Guy »

There's a good new thread on the US Forum about battery trickle charging - worth a read: https://www.macanforum.com/threads/charging-the-macan.174489/
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

My Macan DS has been sat untouched for near 3 months whilst i was working out in Hong Kong. I thought i would have an issue with it.
Other than the turn over being slightly slower than it usually is it started up without issue.
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

I have connected my battery conditioner to the jump connectors under the bonnet as a test.
Mine is a conditioner supplied by Carcoon along with my storage chamber specifically for long term storage/conditioning.
The negative eyelet goes under the earth "nut" and I have found a bolt which fits into the threaded positive connection, for the positive eyelet.
This way of conditioning has worked on all my cars in the past.
I left this running for two days, but apart from the charging light showing it hasn't reached full charge and when I unplug when it normally shows battery level nothing is showing.
Have people had success in conditioning batteries via the jump terminals or should I try connecting direct to the battery?
Would this cause any issues?
Thanks
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

Just been out in the Macan and the stop start is not working. Not normally a problem for me but prior to connecting my conditioner it was working which seems to indicate that my conditioner was actually discharging the battery.
So on to a CTEK.

Borrowed a CTEK MSX 5.0

Plugged it into the socket in the boot and powered it up before locking the car.

Its charging but won't switch mode to AGM just car and recon.

Do the CTEK users just use car mode or are you able to switch mode to AGM? Is it a problem not being on AGM mode?

Thanks
davewf

Post by davewf »

I think if you use reconditioning it stays on normal car mode. If you turn off recon you should be able to select AGM. It wont do any harm but the voltages needed to charge and float efficiently are different.

PS just checked mine you have to cycle through the options by pressing the mode button until you get the Car and AGM lit mine happily cycled through without it being connected.
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

Just tried disconnecting CTEK and going through the modes and nothing happens, just stays on car and recon.
Googling seems some CTEKs have this issue of not changing modes, so guess the borrowed CTEK isn't working correctly.
Time to buy a new one I fear....CTEK not Macan😁