Gremlins - windows

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Window . . . .

I pushed the button, the drivers door window dropped to the bottom, I pulled the button and the window rose up hit the top and dropped down to half way. Every time I pull the button to auto close the window it reaches the top (fully closed) then drops back down to halfway open. Why . . . why is it doing that and how do I stop it i.e. get it to stay closed? I have to inch it up bit by bit to as near closed as I can without being fully closed and lock the car with it a bit open. What is going on?

Guy

Post by Guy »

Sounds like a stripped mechanism cog.

When it falls, can you physically pull the window to the shut position with a hand on each side of the glass (rubber gloves to increase friction) and then tape it in a closed position (tape over the top of the window frame) until you can get it looked at?
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Guy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:42 pm When it falls, can you physically pull the window to the shut position with a hand on each side
Thanks but . . . no, it doesn't move.
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

P.S. The car is 3 months old - done 2,000 miles
jrsmacan

Post by jrsmacan »

Had the same issue just need to reset the anti trap system. Can’t remember exactly how but it’s in the manual.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Fairynuff wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:04 pm
Guy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:42 pm When it falls, can you physically pull the window to the shut position with a hand on each side
Thanks but . . . no, it doesn't move.
When you said it 'drops down' I thought you meant as if unconnected! If it simply returns to the half way position under its own power, then I too would suspect the safety/reset settings.

The procedure mentioned above, from the manual:

Storing end position of the door windows after connecting the vehicle battery

The end positions of the door windows are lost when the battery is disconnected and
reconnected. One-touch operation of the windows is disabled.

Perform these steps for all windows:

1. Close window completely once by pulling the
rocker switch.
2. If the window is completely closed, briefly pull
the rocker switch again.
3. Open the window completely once by pressing
the rocker switch.
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Guy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:29 pm Perform these steps for all windows:
rocker switch.
Thanks again but . . . each time I pull the rocker switch to close the window as soon as the window hits the top (closed) it immediately returns down and stops in the halfway open position - driving me nuts!
jrsmacan

Post by jrsmacan »

Sounds exactly the same as mine, also opened on its own when the car was locked. The above procedure fixed it.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Fairynuff wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:43 pm
Guy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:29 pm Perform these steps for all windows:
rocker switch.
Thanks again but . . . each time I pull the rocker switch to close the window as soon as the window hits the top (closed) it immediately returns down and stops in the halfway open position - driving me nuts!
Have you tried holding the button up all the time until, and while, it is closed? Do the same for opening. Repeat. This should reset the open and closed limit settings.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MacanFor911GTS

Post by MacanFor911GTS »

Op

Try closing the window to the top and holding the button up for over ten seconds.

I had this on my 997 and some other cars (BMW I think). It’s usually the case of the mechanism thinking the top is lower than it is and it needs resetting. Closing it and then pressing and holding it for x seconds normally works.