Macan S wheel size query

All your ordering information here!
MIOAJO

Post by MIOAJO »

Hi
I’m new to Porsche ownership and this forum – this is my first post on any forum!

I have ordered a Macan S and have kept the default 18” wheels. I’m happy with this choice (for context, I’m not a car enthusiast).
I note that this decision will affect resale in 2 to 3 years time when I move on to my next vehicle. If it makes financial sense at that time I have the option of buying and putting on the car a larger set of alloys, say 20”.

This approach seems to be more cost effective than buying from the outset. A set of second hand genuine 20” alloys with tyres tend to be around £1,000 (with some like RS Spyder at around £2,500). I’m aware that this approach has potential for hassle especially fitting TPMS if missing, and selling on the 18” set.

My question is, I understand that there is a factory fitted extension to the wheel arch to accommodate larger alloys. Do you know what size alloys can go on to the Macan S that does not require having the wheel arch extension fitted please? I note also that these extensions can be purchased and added later – any issues with that approach?

Are there any other considerations please that would need addressing when putting 20” alloys on the car that was factory fitted with 18”? In all scenarios they would be genuine Macan alloys, no intention to put third party alloys on.

For context, I live in Cornwall and snow is infrequent so there is no need for a winter and summer set. Most travelling will be on B roads and not many opportunities to get up to any great speed. The last car I had with large alloys on were prone to kerbing on Cornwall roads, especially when my father in law borrowed the car!

One scenario I have been considering is whether to put 19” alloys on now - how material a factor would that be at resale or are buyers particularly interested in 20” or 21”? I can’t change the Macan configuration after Monday. If cost was not a consideration, my choice of alloys would be 20” RS Spyder.
Porsche code PLGZ9115
Thanks

pmg

Post by pmg »

Buy with the wheel size you prefer with your own use.

Fitting 20 s later will only raise issues if not Porsche wheels and do no have right TPMS vàlves and Porsche N rated tyres fitted.

A set of Porsche 18 in wheels should have ready market evening worn tyres as some would fit new winters and ideal for that season use.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

If you’re happy with 18s I would just stick with them. When it comes to sale, larger wheels might make it marginally quicker to sell, but I doubt you’d get more than a small fraction of the additional cost back.

Particularly if you went to someone like We Buy Any Car - they would take no account at all of the wheels (or any other options).
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I agree with both previous posters, stick with 18" if you're happy with them. Don't change the wheels at the time of resale as in the strange world of insurers this becomes a modification and is more likely to have a negative effect on value.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
MIOAJO

Post by MIOAJO »

Thanks, appreciate the feedback and the heads up on the impact on insurance. Reassuring that opinions are consistent - I'll stick with 18".
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome :D :D

Just go with the wheels you want.

I agree with your choice of 20” RS Spyder alloys :oops: :oops: :oops:
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

What are these wheel arch extensions you mention.
You don’t mention what suspension you have? Smaller wheels are more suited to the standard suspension, if you have air suspension then 20” are the best compromise.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
ianst

Post by ianst »

Is this the extension?

A6092E2E-975B-423F-B213-19E40A9AC449.jpeg

MY22 GTS awaiting parts :roll: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7IVI77
69 Sapphire S: (sold)
MIOAJO

Post by MIOAJO »

Hi Kleynie - I have opted for the default suspension. I note your comment on smaller wheels. Thanks

Hi Ianst - I believe these are the extensions as per your photo - looking into it further I believe they are added to the build if 20" or 21" wheels are selected. I believe they are needed as the wheels are slightly wider than the wheel arch so they are to prevent spray/debris on the bodywork. If the extensions are not present then I believe this is interpreted as illegal as all spray/debris should be contained within the wheel arch?

Thanks