New Macan Out in 2021

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Just read an article in this week's Autocar that the new Macan will be out in 2021 as a full EV based on the same platform/technology as the Taycan. The existing model will continue on sale during a transition period as some customers are not yet ready to go all electric.

My take on this is that the current car is unlikely to replaced with an ICE alternative so could well be the last of the breed. If that's true my current GTS will certainly be a keeper as I'm one of those that's not ready for an EV yet. Enjoy them while you can.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Not sure about customers.......

But the UK is certainly NOT yet ready to go all electric.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

+1. A big step forward in infrastructure is needed before EVs will be a mainstream choice.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
johnd

Post by johnd »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:00 pm +1. A big step forward in infrastructure is needed before EVs will be a mainstream choice.
I suspect that most existing UK EV drivers would say that the charging network is actually adequate now (for those that can charge routinely at home I mean**). But two things still need to happen:

1. The rollout of public rapid chargers needs to continue, but this is happening in a big way - though you probably won't notice unless you're an EV driver - and by 2021 which is what we're talking about here will be 2 or 3 times the present charger density.

2. Using a rapid charger needs to become less frustrating - there are too many incompatibilities between individual car models and chargers (though mostly older ones), and too many payment methods, membership requirements etc, which need to be simplified - the DoT have made noises about being on the case here, but remains to be seen how effective they'll be.

** For the apparent 40% who can't charge at home then wider EV adoption may still be 5-10 years away.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
pmg

Post by pmg »

I would now happily buy an EV in the UK if my maximum daily mileage was 200 and I did not regualy visit country areas well away from main motorway network and population areas. Wider availability, i.e never more than 30 miles away from a CCS fast charger, would remove those restrictions on buying
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Bring on Ionity. In the Book According to Porsche it should be with us and quite comprehensive by 2022 when this model deliveries begin.

Like several others on the forum I have no possibility on home charging so would be reliant on an infrastructure. With the the supposed fast charging capabilities I could well be persuaded to have a quick ⚡️and dash somewhere nearby.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

I was amazed to see that the Taycan weighs around 500Kg more than my Macan SD. God knows how heavy a Macan electric will be!

Also, messing around with the Taycan range calculator, the range can be well below 200 miles if you drive on the motorway in winter with the air conditioning on. Nobody does that right?
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Giz9 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:44 pm I was amazed to see that the Taycan weighs around 500Kg more than my Macan SD. God knows how heavy a Macan electric will be!

Also, messing around with the Taycan range calculator, the range can be well below 200 miles if you drive on the motorway in winter with the air conditioning on. Nobody does that right?
Stefan Weckbach at Porsche believes that solid state batteries in 5-7 years will reduce the weight by 400 kgs. Benefits all-round.

As regards the range, your figure corresponds with a recent test drive I read from Denmark - Germany. Having said that a +/-3 hour stint probably necessitates a rest - if one can find a mutually convenient rapid charger.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/372410/2020-porsche-taycan-first-drive/
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
pmg

Post by pmg »

Giz9 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:44 pm I was amazed to see that the Taycan weighs around 500Kg more than my Macan SD. God knows how heavy a Macan electric will be!

Also, messing around with the Taycan range calculator, the range can be well below 200 miles if you drive on the motorway in winter with the air conditioning on. Nobody does that, right?
I had a good play with Taycan Range calculator and concluded the car was nowhere near as practical as an ICS car until there was a well spread fast charger network capable of restoring to about 80% battery in 30 mins
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

I will wait for solid state batteries to be used. They are currently (no pun intended) unsuitable but research is being done. A solid state battery will hold more charge for longer and charge but quicker than the current power packs. They also will not require cooling after heavy use. Should be around in 3-4 years and will make the current batteries obsolete apparently. An EV would be fine for me, but I think I would always be looking at the remaining charge gauge plus I'm still not convinced a bad winter would do them any favours.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.