Macan goes swimming!!!

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Driving down the M1 late afternoon earlier this week the rain was absolutely torrential and visibility was pretty grim. There was lots of surface water so I tucked in a little bit behind an Aston and we drove at around 50 mph down the middle lane (my theory being that surface water is least likely to be in the middle lane plus you have an escape route left and right if needed).

Not only were there idiots flying along at 70/80+, there was undertaking as well to deal with. One particular BMW went flying past me at a rate of knots. 2 mins later there was loads of breaking ahead and as I approached there was a sea of debris in the road. And what did I see? Mr BMW on the hard shoulder. Not sure what he had done and fortunately he wasn't hurt and there didn't appear to be anyone else involved. But he was a prick and could have caused other vehicles to have an accident so he got what he deserved.

There is an absolute obsession about catching people going 60 in a 50, or 50 in a 40, but time would be far better spent catching idiots like this
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )

VanB

Post by VanB »

^^^

Hear, hear!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Paul

Post by Paul »

If you were in the middle lane.......what were you overtaking?

Not really surprising that you witnessed undertaking.....

If you choose to drive at your chosen sensible speed, irrespective of others, you should be in the furthest practical left hand lane. You’ve still got a lane left and right to take any avoiding action necessary.

But, I do agree that a proper trafic police presence as opposed to cameras would be far more appropriate to genuine road safety.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Paul wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:39 pm If you were in the middle lane.......what were you overtaking?

If you choose to drive at your chosen sensible speed, irrespective of others, you should be in the furthest practical left hand lane. You’ve still got a lane left and right to take any avoiding action necessary.
+1. And I understand that the police now stop motorists and issue fines for this type of offence.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Red5

Post by Red5 »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:53 pm
Paul wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:39 pm If you were in the middle lane.......what were you overtaking?

+1. And I understand that the police now stop motorists and issue fines for this type of offence.
Not often though :roll:

Driving slowly in the centre lane is very likely to cause great frustration to BMW drivers, who are sometimes prone to poor judgement :ugeek:

The centre lane is by far the most dangerous lane anyway. ALWAYS!

In lane two, you are exposed to the possibility of poor decision making from a live lane either side of you.
In adverse conditions, this is risk multiplied many times!

The ironic thing is, lazy people drive in lane two, as they want to make the minimum effort :roll:
In my experience, all the drivers that do this have really good excuses! Be it rain, dark, idiots going too fast, lorries blah blah etc.....
All of them could do with some education on the subject and further driving lessons. The ones I’ve experienced, also get really angry when they catch up with other MLMs, as they are then forced out of their semi comatose state to tailgate, look in their mirrors etc :roll:

To actually drive safely in lane two, you need to spend so much time monitoring so much more traffic, all mirrors and over both shoulders, it’s actually way more tiring than keeping left where possible.

The MLM is a pet hate BTW :cry:
Paul

Post by Paul »

(not just me then.....😉)

I spent 4 years commuting in and out of Paris daily in the mid / late ‘90s.....undertaking did not, I repeat not, exist....people just did the right thing......drove to the right......unless overtaking.

(BTW..frustration of middle lane hogging is how the OP crash happened in the first place.)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Red5

Post by Red5 »

Paul1970 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:39 pm Driving down the M1 late afternoon earlier this week the rain was absolutely torrential and visibility was pretty grim. There was lots of surface water so I tucked in a little bit behind an Aston and we drove at around 50 mph down the middle lane (my theory being that surface water is least likely to be in the middle lane plus you have an escape route left and right if needed).

Not only were there idiots flying along at 70/80+, there was undertaking as well to deal with. One particular BMW went flying past me at a rate of knots. 2 mins later there was loads of breaking ahead and as I approached there was a sea of debris in the road. And what did I see? Mr BMW on the hard shoulder. Not sure what he had done and fortunately he wasn't hurt and there didn't appear to be anyone else involved. But he was a prick and could have caused other vehicles to have an accident so he got what he deserved.

There is an absolute obsession about catching people going 60 in a 50, or 50 in a 40, but time would be far better spent catching idiots like this

It’s best not to develop these type of ‘Theory’ :!:
It’s best to drive to the left, at a speed appropriate to the conditions.
Whatever speed that is, in your opinion, will be far less disruptive and aggravating, if in the lane as far to the left as possible.

No point calling other people pricks and idiots and stating the driver that crashed got what they deserved :!: :evil:
Everyone in the resultant snails trail, then diving past you and the Aston, in either available lane, was thinking the same thing of you two.

Did you have you FOG lights on too?

Everyone else is the problem though right?

Yes, I had a day at work :lol:
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Red5 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:56 pm
The ironic thing is, lazy people drive in lane two, as they want to make the minimum effort :roll:
Please don't tell me you are one of those bellends who constantly weaves in and out of the inside lane just to make a point when it genuinely is a lot easier just to go with the flow in lane 2 or 3 (which is actually most of the time if you want to be making progress above 60 mph on anything other than an empty road). Don't get me wrong, I hate slow middle lane hoggers too, but I've learnt to completely ignore them providing the outside lane is free. Plus if they are actually doing 70 mph or more in the middle lane, then I can't really get on my high horse about them getting in my way can I? I find it more of a problem on dual carriageways when people insist on passing trucks with a 0.5 mph speed differential or just sit in the outside lane for no apparent reason.
Red5

Post by Red5 »

Peteski wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:21 pm
Red5 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:56 pm
Please don't tell me you are one of those bellends who constantly weaves in and out of the inside lane just to make a point when it genuinely is a lot easier just to go with the flow in lane 2 or 3 (which is actually most of the time if you want to be making progress above 60 mph on anything other than an empty road). Don't get me wrong, I hate slow middle lane hoggers too, but I've learnt to completely ignore them providing the outside lane is free. Plus if they are actually doing 70 mph or more in the middle lane, then I can't really get on my high horse about them getting in my way can I? I find it more of a problem on dual carriageways when people insist on passing trucks with a 0.5 mph speed differential or just sit in the outside lane for no apparent reason.

No, I’m a Bellend in other ways ;)
I hope I can manage to go about my day, without making other people’s worse.

I think most people, me included, struggle with those that fall outside the 85th percentile.

Being lazy, selfish and pig-headed, but so thick skinned as not to car what others think, is a bit of an epidemic.

Occupying more space than one needs, to the immediate detriment of others (anywhere, not just on the roads) is most likely the behaviour of a person such as I have described above.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Red5 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:09 am
Being lazy, selfish and pig-headed, but so thick skinned as not to car what others think, is a bit of an epidemic.
I do kind of agree with you here, but then so is being a self-important, stereotyping, judgemental prick. It's a fine line between the two positions, just sayin.....

I'm more pragmatic about this "issue". If there is nothing in the outside lane then I'm not going to bother about middle lane hogs, especially not if they are driving at or above the speed limit anyway. But then I see other drivers running up close behind them, flashing their lights to get out of the way or even undertaking. It's a close call who are the most stupid. The Macan driver in the video was definitely the most stupid in that scenario.