New Macan Out in 2021

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Panthera wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:31 am So current ICE Macan (probably mk3 with perhaps a fancy new dash to match the EV version) will still be available alongside the new EV Macan in 2021.
This seems to be causing much confusion, but the current Macan is the mark 1. The next Macan, the all-electric model, is the mark 2. The existing mark 1 Macan will be sold alongside the upcoming mark 2 for a few years.

The existing mark 1 Macan had a facelift last year. Porsche may (or may not) give the mark 1 another facelift given its lifetime is going to be a few years longer than usual. Even if it does get a facelift, it will be just as small as last year's facelift. Ultimately meaning the mark 1 ICE and mark 2 all-electric Macans will look significantly different.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS

Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

I think it's all too much too soon.
Electric vehicles have become the "IN" thing and the latest fashion item as much as the word diesel caused many to collapse at its very mention.

The Taycan looks great but £115K for the base model and then another god knows how many thousands in extras to drive a Porsche that sounds like a milk float on warp speed? No thanks.

Isn't part of the thrill of owning Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. about the glorious sounds you receive from the engine?

Electric - not for me now or the immediate future.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Bazza06 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:50 am I think it's all too much too soon.
It's all happening at a snails pace. So how can it be too much too soon? It's not like you are being forced to buy an EV anytime soon.
Deleted User 1874

JBA wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:56 pm I could be wrong but I think Porsche have made a massive strategic mistake in investing so much faith and money in electric vehicles.

The technology for BEVs is neither game changing or free market driven, despite the marketing and media hype.

For example, the CD was a game changer in the music industry because it was immediately superior to vinyl records (better quality, reliable sound, cheaper to produce, compact and versatile compsted to vinyl) . Effectively the consumer had all the benefits of vinyl and more thanks to CD technology. Therefore the market embraced this technology. Of course there remains strong retro interest in vinyl.
However I can't imagine similar with BEVs, hence why I think they will fail unless breakthrough, game changing ( not slowly evolving) technology sweeps away all the aforementioned issues on this thread.

If you add to this some scepticism and scientific counter arguments which seem to be sneaking in to challenge the current man made global warming theory (not hekped by Extinction Rebellion's cultish support), and it could result in some cracks forming on the road to BEV dominance.
Anyway that's just my view. And I am a petrol head!😂😊
Yeah, you could be wrong. It actually took a while for the CD to overtake high end vinyl quality, but that's an irrelevant story.
Climate change appears to be pretty real too, according to every credible scientist I've heard. But you can decide for yourself if oil industry sponsored reports are more believable. But you can continue sniffing petrol for at least another couple of decades if you choose.
Davidone

Post by Davidone »

No doubt CC is real.......but the real cause of it....man made or just the way the climates change.Remember the UK has been a frozen wasteland and also a tropical region!! I don't think that was caused by mankind do you?
We have been here such a very short time !!!!
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Peteski wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:40 pm
It's all happening at a snails pace. So how can it be too much too soon? It's not like you are being forced to buy an EV anytime soon.
I don't see it that way. Magazines, TV Ads, manufacturer marketing campaigns appear more and more focused on EV's.
City centres proposing plans to charge for those not driving electric and car parks with ever-increasing charging points making it difficult for those in non-electric vehicles to park.

I don't see this as a snails pace compared to a year ago. Just my opinion.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Deleted User 1874

Davidone wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:55 pm No doubt CC is real.......but the real cause of it....man made or just the way the climates change.Remember the UK has been a frozen wasteland and also a tropical region!! I don't think that was caused by mankind do you?
We have been here such a very short time !!!!
It's the rate of change that is very worrying. Scientists are fully aware of how climate naturally changes over millions of years. But changes that we have seen over the last 50 years are frightening. As you say, we've only been here for a very short time, but our impact on the environment is totally unprecedented.
Deleted User 1874

Bazza06 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:59 pm
I don't see it that way. Magazines, TV Ads, manufacturer marketing campaigns appear more and more focused on EV's.
City centres proposing plans to charge for those not driving electric and car parks with ever-increasing charging points making it difficult for those in non-electric vehicles to park.

So even though urban traffic pollution has already got out of hand and the uptake of EVs is still a tiny percentage of overall new car sales, you would prefer it to slow down a bit. It's no wonder I have zero confidence in us meeting future emissions targets. I'm sure our grandchildren will be thankful later.
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Peteski wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:10 pm
Bazza06 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:59 pm

So even though urban traffic pollution has already got out of hand and the uptake of EVs is still a tiny percentage of overall new car sales, you would prefer it to slow down a bit. It's no wonder I have zero confidence in us meeting future emissions targets. I'm sure our grandchildren will be thankful later.
What I would prefer and be grateful to are those wanting a cleaner planet do so by not clogging up the cities by sitting on the streets bringing people and vehicles to a standstill creating even greater levels of pollution.

The EV take-up will inevitably grow but not to the levels you would prefer as we do not have the infrastructure to accommodate them.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
johnd

Post by johnd »

Bazza06 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:13 pm ...as we do not have the infrastructure to accommodate them.
What does that mean??? We have plenty of generating capacity; the distribution network is being updated all the time; and there is an extensive roll-out of rapid chargers under way.

So for 50-60% of car owners, I don't see how 'infrastructure' is any sort of barrier to EV adoption over the next 5-10 years. For the remainder, who cannot easily charge at home or at work and who live some distance from any rapid charger then yes adoption will be slower, but solutions will emerge.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly