Re-progamming DME Control Unit

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

if nothing of any substance changes with the update can anybody explain to me why Porsche did not have this soft wear installed at the offset?

nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

If anything like the Audi "fix", the main purpose is to increase the usage of AdBlue, reducing the output of nasties, all for Corporate Porsche compliance figures? No benefits to the cars performance, fuel consumption or driver experience.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
R850R

Post by R850R »

Post by SAC1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:34 am
Had the 1st service and update done in May. No discernable difference in power or economy, so all good. :D

Post by Tom 2000 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:30 pm
The big difference is that Sport goes in to non Sport after about 5 seconds unless the foot is kept to the floor.

“Curiouser and curiouser! Cried he ..........”
I've just got my SD back after agreeing to the update having vascillated for some months.
If I press the Sport button and pittle around in town traffic, the engine stays in Sport mode.
As posted by SAC1, there's no discernable difference betweent before and after, but then that's a rather subjective opinion so far.
Got to do a repeat long run next week whilst subjected to miles of 50mph SPECS so I'll find out the effect, if any, c/f with my last trip of 48mpg
More anon.......
S with an oil-burner engine and a few extras.
Paul

Post by Paul »

(R850R - your new Avatar in REALLY annoying!😂😂😉)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

R850R wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:22 pm Post by SAC1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:34 am
Had the 1st service and update done in May. No discernable difference in power or economy, so all good. :D

The big difference is that Sport goes in to non Sport after about 5 seconds unless the foot is kept to the floor.

I've just got my SD back after agreeing to the update having vascillated for some months.
If I press the Sport button and pittle around in town traffic, the engine stays in Sport mode.
As posted by SAC1, there's no discernable difference betweent before and after, but then that's a rather subjective opinion so far.
Got to do a repeat long run next week whilst subjected to miles of 50mph SPECS so I'll find out the effect, if any, c/f with my last trip of 48mpg
More anon.......
Sport Mode remains selected and indicated on dash but the engine and gearbox performance is definitely non Sport unless a heavy right foot is employed either on brake or accelerator.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Still noticeably more responsive when the Sport button is engaged. Holds each gear longer and generally more rapid.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

To quote Porsche
b) To guarantee optimal emission levels for the vehicles at all times, the software parameters for Sport and Sport Plus mode have been updated. The further optimised gearshift characteristic in Sport and Sport Plus mode is only effective temporarily, depending on driving style. For example, your vehicle delivers the sporty performance you require, and are used to, during sporty driving. However, if there is no real dynamic driving requirement after activating Sport or Sport Plus mode, the gearshift characteristic reverts to normal mode. When the vehicle detects dynamic driving (e.g. sporty driving), however, the gearshift characteristic changes to Sport or Sport Plus mode - with lower gears and higher revs - to provide a sporty driving experience. For a steady driving style, the coasting function works at higher speeds.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

What disappointed me and nearly had me written off coming back from the Service Centre after the update is that the reversion to Normal Mode happens after about 5 seconds. So you could be in 4th gear and checking mirrors and when you press the loud button the car has shifted to 6th in the meantime requiring a couple of shifts before really getting going.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
R850R

Post by R850R »

Previous posting on this:-
Post by SAC1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:34 am

More anon.......
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Herewith update for what it's worth (probably not much):-
I did the journey again referred to above (M6 with 50mph SPECS, new 70mph cams with NPR elsewhere) and this time after the DME control unit "update".
Accepting there are numerous variables which might negate a comparison, the 2 journeys were very similar.
Journey 1 was pre-update; Journey 2 post update:

Drive time............(1) 1.57h...............(2) 1.59h
Distance.............. (1) 99.1 miles.......(2) 97.2 miles
Consumpt............(1) 48.2 mpg........(2) 40.3 mpg
Speed...................(1) 53 mph...........(2) 51 mph

I'm inclined to (want to?) beieve that the 17% increase in consumption is at least in part attributable to the update.
I now have experienced a similar effect to Tom 2000 (above) in that switching to Sport on the M6 at either a steady 50 or 70 mph, the shift in engine revs reverts after about 5 secs though the Sport switch light remains on.
Subjectively, it seemed that there was some slight hesitancy in acceleration.
On balance, I wish I'd not had it done.
S with an oil-burner engine and a few extras.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

It is no more economical on the pocket that is for sure. Possibly the other way. The transition to Sleepy Sport is perhaps a good idea but it kicks in much too soon. And takes a while to kick out again. Porsche said it had to be done.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)