Service intervals - impact of low mileage

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
robbie

Post by robbie »

Being retired/motorhomers my new 2.0L Macan has only done 2,800m since new (28 Dec 18). Looking at the service info in the car it is currently asking for an Oil service next Apr 2020, an interim service in Nov 2020 followed by a service in Nov 2022. I was initially told by my SE that the new Macan would only need it's first service after 20,000miles or 2yrs whichever came first. Currently this is putting two oil changes within 7 months of each other?

Apart from ignoring the oil service message, which would then maybe have an impact with the 3yr warranty on the car, any thoughts on how to avoid having two services so close together? Thought I would seek comments on this forum first before raising with my local OPC

Are other low mileage Macan2 owners seeing the same?
Thanks
Robbie
MY23 Macan S - Delivered on 9th March 2023
Sold - MY19 Macan 2.0 - Delivered on 28th Dec 2018

VanB

Post by VanB »

Check with your OPC as this seems strange to me. Sometimes condition based parameters require an earlier oil change but never heard of one being scheduled 7 months after a service particularly before you've even had the service. Others may correct me, of course.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Ferrat

Post by Ferrat »

A late reply from the South of France. I also encountered the same issue with my 2 litre Macan - at about 4500 km. Have been told by my dealer in Monaco that this is based on oil condition monitoring, but no satisfactory explanation as to how this is carried out. I was quoted 460 Euros for an oil change, which I considered outrageous, so did the oil and filter change myself for less than 100 Euros. Will continue to do this since it is not difficult, but a hassle.
Ferrat

Post by Ferrat »

A late reply from the South of France. I also encountered the same issue with my 2 litre Macan - at about 4500 km. Have been told by my dealer in Monaco that this is based on oil condition monitoring, but no satisfactory explanation as to how this is carried out. I was quoted 460 Euros for an oil change, which I considered outrageous, so did the oil and filter change myself for less than 100 Euros. Will continue to do this since it is not difficult, but a hassle.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nov 20 and Nov 22 would be your standard 2 year and 4 year services. Some models seem to be affected by condition-based oil change suggestions, including the Macan and Panamera. My own 2017 Panamera asked for an oil change at 10k miles and was expecting another at 20k miles. I drove 17k miles in it in its first year.

If you have an oil change in April, the car may not need another oil change at its Nov 20 service. 🤔
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
mjrennie

Post by mjrennie »

I had this only recently. I argued that I was told it was a 2 year service interval, mileage permitting, only to have to do an oil change after 12 months. They said an oil change was not a service. I beg to differ.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

From my own experience, I know that it is not only Porsche who fit cars with a system that monitors oil condition. All my Mercedes did as well.

With my Cayenne diesel, I had a similar situation to that of the original OP. In my case the gap between oil change and service was only three months so I just had the service done early.

Oil holds its condition better if the car is mainly used for long motorway journeys: 2800 miles in just under two years implies short journeys (particularly if most long journeys are in the motorhome) which is why the oil condition monitor is predicting the need for an oil change early.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
robbie

Post by robbie »

Thank you all for your feedback to-date, the car is just over '10' months old as I write.
Peter, concur with your thoughts, a few weeks back the oil service was predicted for 02/2020 but after a couple of recent longer motorway trips to Cardiff & Heathrow this moved back to 04/2020, now back to short journeys it has slipped back a month to 03/2020. Unless I undertake some longer trips, which we tend to do in our motorhome, I'm unlikely to get it back to 11/2020 which is when the first interim service is due.
Think this just highlights the fact the engine oil deteriorates a lot quicker if the car is mainly used for shorter journeys. So be aware when being told the service intervals are 20,000 miles or 2yrs, whichever comes first, the engine monitoring system may decide otherwise!! :?: :(
Robbie
MY23 Macan S - Delivered on 9th March 2023
Sold - MY19 Macan 2.0 - Delivered on 28th Dec 2018
Bleedsoff

Post by Bleedsoff »

Where is the service interval in the car displayed? I have looked everywhere for it in the PCM etc. It prob the most simple thing but I can't seem to find it.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Right hand screen. 'Vehicle' Menu, then 'Info', and then 'Service Interval' It should then list Main, Intermediate and Oil Service on separate pages :D