First Timer and a choice to make

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
VanB

Post by VanB »

GTS variants are now going for sensible money and unlikely to depreciate anywhere as near as much as a new car over 2 years of ownership. Personally I would look for a good spec used GTS (the new fangled interface on the new model isn't worth the extra depreciation IMO). It's a great driver's car but also very refined as needed.

Good luck whatever you decide; they are awesome cars.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

jone66

Post by jone66 »

Decision just about made, I'm heading for the "S" with some nice extras, the simple thing for me was the sport seat in the GTS just feels awkward to get in and out of however would be a good addition if your flying around a track. With the bones creaking some will know what I mean? Level of comfort has to be up there. ;)
1972 - MKIII Cortina 2L GT
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
And single again so time for....
Macan GTS - Ordering after lockdown (1st new car Ever) :D
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I would tend not to get the optional 18 way seats, from what you are saying. As you may find the same problem as you have mentioned. The 14 way are ample in optional settings.
gts964

Post by gts964 »

I was in the fortunate position of having the same decision, albeit intending to hang on to the car for much longer than you are. A good GTS is circa 50K from an approved dealership whereas a nicely specced brand new S is around 60K. The S seemed to make more sense. In the end I drove a 3-year old GTS and a 2019 Macan S back to back at the same dealership and they were night and day. The GTS has a beautiful engine noise, feels completely planted and was as good as new cosmetically (apart from the tech which looks a bit dated compared to the new set up). The 2019 S was a very nice place to sit but (for me) lacked emotional engagement - little or no engine noise and a bit floaty. You really have to drive them. They are different cars. Once I'd driven them both it was an easy decision for me and I could not be happier with my 3 year old GTS and I'm reassured by the 2 year Porsche warranty that came with it. Plus the tax is less if you get one registered before April 2017. Just depends on your priority. The new S is a lovely lovely car but I didn't connect with it in the same way.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

gts964 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:28 am I was in the fortunate position of having the same decision, albeit intending to hang on to the car for much longer than you are. A good GTS is circa 50K from an approved dealership whereas a nicely specced brand new S is around 60K. The S seemed to make more sense. In the end I drove a 3-year old GTS and a 2019 Macan S back to back at the same dealership and they were night and day. The GTS has a beautiful engine noise, feels completely planted and was as good as new cosmetically (apart from the tech which looks a bit dated compared to the new set up). The 2019 S was a very nice place to sit but (for me) lacked emotional engagement - little or no engine noise and a bit floaty. You really have to drive them. They are different cars. Once I'd driven them both it was an easy decision for me and I could not be happier with my 3 year old GTS and I'm reassured by the 2 year Porsche warranty that came with it. Plus the tax is less if you get one registered before April 2017. Just depends on your priority. The new S is a lovely lovely car but I didn't connect with it in the same way.
What a great first post! Welcome to our friendly forum & congratulations on your Macan GTS! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
jone66

Post by jone66 »

gts964 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:28 am I was in the fortunate position of having the same decision, albeit intending to hang on to the car for much longer than you are. A good GTS is circa 50K from an approved dealership whereas a nicely specced brand new S is around 60K. The S seemed to make more sense. In the end I drove a 3-year old GTS and a 2019 Macan S back to back at the same dealership and they were night and day. The GTS has a beautiful engine noise, feels completely planted and was as good as new cosmetically (apart from the tech which looks a bit dated compared to the new set up). The 2019 S was a very nice place to sit but (for me) lacked emotional engagement - little or no engine noise and a bit floaty. You really have to drive them. They are different cars. Once I'd driven them both it was an easy decision for me and I could not be happier with my 3 year old GTS and I'm reassured by the 2 year Porsche warranty that came with it. Plus the tax is less if you get one registered before April 2017. Just depends on your priority. The new S is a lovely lovely car but I didn't connect with it in the same way.
Thanks for the heads up "964" i will defo road test both. Whether a couple of years old or not to most it's still a bit of a chunk of cash and so would be nice to get it right, and the warranty for peace of mind. There still don't seem to be masses for sale which is a good thing in my mind so I'm expecting to do a few miles to find the new love in my life.
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
jone66

Post by jone66 »

Any pics mate?
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
jone66

Post by jone66 »

VanB wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:45 pm GTS variants are now going for sensible money and unlikely to depreciate anywhere as near as much as a new car over 2 years of ownership. Personally I would look for a good spec used GTS (the new fangled interface on the new model isn't worth the extra depreciation IMO). It's a great driver's car but also very refined as needed.

Good luck whatever you decide; they are awesome cars.
Thanks for your feedback vanB
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
VanB

Post by VanB »

👍
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Agree with the comments about comparing a GTS with a new S. I had a new model S out for a day recently and was really disappointed. I was ready to upgrade from my GTS to a facelift car but found the S lacking in any engine or exhaust noise, suspension felt soft and floaty. Also it didn't feel anywhere near as urgent as my GTS despite the new cars supposed to have better torque levels. All in all I was disappointed and very glad to step back into my GTS which also looks a load better with the black accents and all the GTS pieces