Re-progamming DME Control Unit

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Ngautrey

Post by Ngautrey »

Hi All
Had a letter too but have been withholding having the work done.
Found this link which is interesting.
https://www.caremissionslawyers.co.uk/porsche-emissions-scandal-compensation
Porshe Macan S Diesel Sapphire Blue Metalic 2016

gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

good find Ngautrey, I am signing up once I get a reply to my request sent off to Porsche , perhaps we all should before or after the Porsche fix, bit of a group action.
Paul

Post by Paul »

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/vw-dieselgate-damages-civil-case-begin-today
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

My questions to Porsche.

I am in receipt of your letter of 20 February 2019 offering me a software update for the above motor vehicle.
I would be obliged if you would advise me on the following:-
a) Under what “certain circumstances” does the software update improve nitrous oxide emissions?
b) What noticeable differences, if any, will there be to my Porsche driving experience?
c) Is the update merely “available” or is implementation recommended or indeed required by Porsche?
I await your response as my car is due shortly to visit a Service Centre.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Response from Porsche.

a) The manufacturer's specifications determined during the general certification procedure for the Macan S Diesel (EU6) still apply in relation to maximum engine power, fuel consumption and maximum torque. This was also confirmed by the TÜV (German Technical Inspectorate) and was an important prerequisite for approval by the German Federal Road Traffic Authority (KBA) as the responsible regulatory body. Furthermore, all other general certification-relevant emission values remain unchanged after implementing the measure.

b) To guarantee optimal emission levels for the vehicles at all times, the software parameters for Sport and Sport Plus mode have been updated. The further optimised gearshift characteristic in Sport and Sport Plus mode is only effective temporarily, depending on driving style. For example, your vehicle delivers the sporty performance you require, and are used to, during sporty driving. However, if there is no real dynamic driving requirement after activating Sport or Sport Plus mode, the gearshift characteristic reverts to normal mode. When the vehicle detects dynamic driving (e.g. sporty driving), however, the gearshift characteristic changes to Sport or Sport Plus mode - with lower gears and higher revs - to provide a sporty driving experience. For a steady driving style, the coasting function works at higher speeds.

c) The software update is mandatory for the officially ordered recall campaign.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Paul

Post by Paul »

?? “Recall”......these are safety related campaigns and are done with the approval and mandate of the DVLA.

The DME reprog is a service action and is manufacturer (“officially ordered”) initiated.
(Splitting hairs I know, but the “mandatory” bit only affects you and your relationship with Porsche)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I was told it isn't mandatory and I could opt out, if required, which I have?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

Porsche's reply to tom 2000 sounds like they are trying to sell a red herring, (laying off issues with gear box not engine) as I cant see how a gear change time would effect emissions. after all we are taking about limiting soft wear when a car has an MOT. (stationary and low revs)
I would like to understand what emissions saving happen up to say 2500 rpm, as reply suggest savings only happen in sport and sport plus?
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

At the risk of tempting fate it’s now 12 months since I had the DME software upgrade for my 2018 SD. Since the upgrade just had one DPF grey warning light in May that I had to clear with a spirited drive. Up until the upgrade was getting them every 3 weeks. Car is running really well and will be due it’s first service in February.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

7 months on since the DME sw upgrade and absolutely no issues. No drop in performance or fuel consumption either. In fact it's going better than ever. Never had a DPF grey warning. No AdBlue top up required over these last 7 months

I have always run my SD on BP Ultimate premium diesel. Has that made a difference. Or just that I never do short trips in it.

My dilema....what to order to replace it in the next month and so before it's 3 years old? Any date for the new model Macan GTS yet?
)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver