Porsche Active Safe

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
CliveH

Post by CliveH »

Another newbie question!

So my vehicle has adaptive cruise control which includes PAS and this works perfectly in all circumstances so far, although I am still cautious about relying on electronics to drive the car! First time I've had this toy :)

However, the manual suggests that this also operates even when cruise control is not active:

Integrated Porsche Active Safe (PAS) is designed to detect whether you are approaching the vehicle in front too quickly. In this event, you will be prompted to take the necessary action by an audible and visual warning as well as a jolt of the brakes.

I have PAS switched on but it only appears to operate when cruise control is active, or am I simply not driving closely enough to the car in front for the warnings to kick in?
95B.1 turbo in volcano grey with all the trimmings
987.2 Boxster Black Edition

Makanik

Post by Makanik »

CliveH wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:04 am
I have PAS switched on but it only appears to operate when cruise control is active, or am I simply not driving closely enough to the car in front for the warnings to kick in?
I think PAS is more or less impossible to test because you would need to get into a dangerous situation to try it out!
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

CliveH wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:04 am Another newbie question!

So my vehicle has adaptive cruise control which includes PAS and this works perfectly in all circumstances so far, although I am still cautious about relying on electronics to drive the car! First time I've had this toy :)

However, the manual suggests that this also operates even when cruise control is not active:

Integrated Porsche Active Safe (PAS) is designed to detect whether you are approaching the vehicle in front too quickly. In this event, you will be prompted to take the necessary action by an audible and visual warning as well as a jolt of the brakes.

The warnings definitely happen even if the ACC is not active. However, there are two levels of "active" and an inactive :roll: . When ACC is off there is no icon on the right hand screen on the dash. When it is ready but not active, there is a grey "car" icon and when it is active and targeting a set speed, there is a coloured icon with that speed on the screen.

My understanding is that PAS works in all three ACC modes provided that PAS has not been switched off in the settings. However, I don't think the manual is very clear so I wouldn't like to swear on it.
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Giz9 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:55 am
My understanding is that PAS works in all three ACC modes provided that PAS has not been switched off in the settings. However, I don't think the manual is very clear so I wouldn't like to swear on it.
I agree on both counts.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
pmg

Post by pmg »

Makanik wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:53 am
CliveH wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:04 am
I think PAS is more or less impossible to test because you would need to get into a dangerous situation to try it out!
I can confirm the PAS system certainly works when Acc on but a speed not set. (i.e non-lit ACC symbol showing in MFD) I have had instances when cars cut in front of me from left or right when warning bong appeared. As I never drive with acc completely off I cannot comment on that situation.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8