Hello & TDI Tuning box for SD

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

hello!

I bought a well spec’d Agate Grey MY14 SD about a year ago (air sus, pano, 14 way, 20” sport design, extended leather etc, gtechniq ceramic - this was my addition!) and love the car coming from mostly BMW’s. I don’t find it hugely sporty however I think it’s sporty enough for my liking and has a far wider range of abilities than my previous BMW’s being also a great long distance cruiser and the interior has a nice sense of occasion I never felt with BWW.

Thanks to all the forum members for the advice/commentary on options - reading this forum was invaluable in deciding what to look for and buy.

I have read the odd comments here and there wrt the TDI tuning box. It seems to have made a materially positive impact for everyone who’s used it.

I’ve never added aftermarket “stuff” to cars I’ve owned so am instinctively nervous about doing so however I would ideally like to extract a bit (ie a lot!) more torque out of the engine as it can feel underpowered at times.

Has anyone had a bad experience with the box or recommends not adding it? FYI if it’s relevant I have a third party warranty (already paid for itself with a new transfer box) and would ideally keep extending it.

Any thoughts / advice would be appreciated!

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

TDI V TDUK? I really want to do this on mine in one form or another.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

I had the TDI twin channel tuning box on my SD and it was very good, I ran it for 45k and then sold it when I sold the car - it owes me nothing and gave an overall better feel to the car across the range when set to the middle setting - higher ones are available if you like :D

For the money you can't go wrong.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

jesim1 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:25 am I had the TDI twin channel tuning box on my SD and it was very good, I ran it for 45k and then sold it when I sold the car - it owes me nothing and gave an overall better feel to the car across the range when set to the middle setting - higher ones are available if you like :D

Did it impact high speed, plus 100 mph, ability?
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Tom 2000 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:35 pm
jesim1 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:25 am I had the TDI twin channel tuning box on my SD and it was very good, I ran it for 45k and then sold it when I sold the car - it owes me nothing and gave an overall better feel to the car across the range when set to the middle setting - higher ones are available if you like :D

😱 why do you ask.....😉😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Paul wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:32 pm
Tom 2000 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:35 pm

😱 why do you ask.....😉😂
Purely scientific interest.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
pingman777

Post by pingman777 »

I have the TDI tuning box on my Diesel . makes a noticeable difference. my car is due a MoT and Warranty check so have taken it out. i did a round trip of 100miles today . with the box in , the MPG would be 45. today it was 34 without box. !
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

pingman777 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:24 pm I have the TDI tuning box on my Diesel . makes a noticeable difference. my car is due a MoT and Warranty check so have taken it out. i did a round trip of 100miles today . with the box in , the MPG would be 45. today it was 34 without box. !
Have you checked the MPG manually rather than going on what the on board computer says?

The reason I ask is that most tuning boxes either raise the fuel rail pressure modify the width of the injector pulse. The ECU injects more fuel than it thinks and gives a false reading on the MPG.

Most tuning box companies are happy to keep quiet about this as customers think they are getting better mpg when in reality they are not.

If you really are getting that sort of improvement in fuel consumption I would be amazed.

My on board computer already over estimates the mpg by about 4 to5%.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Just as an update to this I fitted the TDi Tuning box (with Bluetooth) a few weeks ago. Fitment is quite easy and took about 15 mins. The first thing to say is that I have experienced no real fuel saving. As I mentioned above the ECU is tricked and therefore the MPG from the trip computer is totally wrong. I keep accurate mpg records that are manually calculated. As standard without the box fitted the MPG reading on my Macan is overstated by 6%. So for example when the car says i am getting 40 mpg I am only getting 37.6. Now with the box fitted it is overstated by 12%. So the last tank was showing on the trip computer as 40.9 mpg but the actual was 35.8 mpg. So don't expect any real fuel consumption improvement. I wouldn't say it's worse (need a bit more data), just not any better for me.

The next point is that the Diesel Macan, due to it's single turbo, doesn't really come on boost until 1800-1900rpm. Hence there is little benefit at low rpm where most of us Diesel drivers spend our time driving. I have however noticed less hesitancy pulling away from islands This was one of the main reasons for fitment as I found it quite scary at times. Once on boost however the car is noticeably better. It just drives much, much better and pulls much more strongly to the red line. Some quick timed runs accelerating from 30 - 60 (simulated overtaking) showed about a 20-25% improvement so not to be sniffed at.

Overall quite happy.....so far.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

Thanks for sharing, great feedback