Petrol​ or Diesel

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Maximus_84

Post by Maximus_84 »

Tom 2000 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:30 pm
Maximus_84 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:11 pm Sorry to hijack this post - I currently drive an Audi RS3 but am looking to change my car to a small SUV and I'm considering the Macan, SQ5 and new RSQ3. However the Porsche for me is top of the pile and like every petrol head, the boyhood dream was to own a Porsche :D

With the Macan due to my budget is be looking for 2018 model whereas the Audi's will be 2019. I'm also in the same dilemma and want to know the best route on model..

I drive around 8/9k miles a year and it's mainly 20-25 minute drive to work on country lanes but there's times where I'm driving to sites with work and it's motorway driving long distance.. what do people suggest?

I'm a petrol head at heart and love engine noise (hence the 5 pot!) But I've had diesels in the past with BMW 435d and enjoyed the power and noise too..
At your mileage I would probably go GTS. I can honestly say I love my SD. The only place it is lacking is at silly motorway speeds.
But is the SD punchy enough with torque etc?did you drive the petrol in comparison? I tend to Cruise on motorways anyway ...it's the lanes I drive spirited :D

nick265sprint

Post by nick265sprint »

Maximus_84 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:11 pm Sorry to hijack this post - I currently drive an Audi RS3 but am looking to change my car to a small SUV and I'm considering the Macan, SQ5 and new RSQ3. However the Porsche for me is top of the pile and like every petrol head, the boyhood dream was to own a Porsche :D

With the Macan due to my budget is be looking for 2018 model whereas the Audi's will be 2019. I'm also in the same dilemma and want to know the best route on model..

I drive around 8/9k miles a year and it's mainly 20-25 minute drive to work on country lanes but there's times where I'm driving to sites with work and it's motorway driving long distance.. what do people suggest?

I'm a petrol head at heart and love engine noise (hence the 5 pot!) But I've had diesels in the past with BMW 435d and enjoyed the power and noise too..
Hi Maximus, I have just this last weekend made the swap from a BMW 435d 2017 to a 2017 Macan S D due to wanting an SUV size vehicle again and to be honest getting fed up with just how much the BM had depreciated since I had owned it from new, now handing it back. I had also considered an SQ5 and been out in a friends which was a great car, but I couldn't get on with the seats, also could just see it losing a load. In the 4 days having the Macan I've enjoyed it, some nice things you don't think about, the daft stuff like surround view parking is really good, lane change assist is great. Nav seems better. Suspension & power aren't the same as previous car but very good for SUV. Anything up to end March 2017 will still be in the £200 / year car tax bracket otherwise you get caught out. Can't really tell you what to expect long term on MPG but it's showing 35ish at the moment, mind can be less when your enjoying yourself ;) Hope that helps, oh and I have a few other weekend toys, so this is more a daily :D :D :D
Black SD, Pan Roof,18 way seats, Nav, PCM, PASM etc
Avid car collector :D really should sell some ;)
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Maximus_84 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:11 pm

At your mileage I would probably go GTS. I can honestly say I love my SD. The only place it is lacking is at silly motorway speeds.
But is the SD punchy enough with torque etc?did you drive the petrol in comparison? I tend to Cruise on motorways anyway ...it's the lanes I drive spirited :D
The SD has more torque than God. I drove the petrol S and was not impressed by performance nor economy. That was accompanied by a sales exec. My only niggle is after having a Golf 7 R the SD doesn’t handle 3 figures very well.
I regularly drive country lanes and it does well. Not Golf R territory but that was scarey.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Maximus_84

Post by Maximus_84 »

nick265sprint wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:21 pm

Hi Maximus, I have just this last weekend made the swap from a BMW 435d 2017 to a 2017 Macan S D due to wanting an SUV size vehicle again and to be honest getting fed up with just how much the BM had depreciated since I had owned it from new, now handing it back. I had also considered an SQ5 and been out in a friends which was a great car, but I couldn't get on with the seats, also could just see it losing a load. In the 4 days having the Macan I've enjoyed it, some nice things you don't think about, the daft stuff like surround view parking is really good, lane change assist is great. Nav seems better. Suspension & power aren't the same as previous car but very good for SUV. Anything up to end March 2017 will still be in the £200 / year car tax bracket otherwise you get caught out. Can't really tell you what to expect long term on MPG but it's showing 35ish at the moment, mind can be less when your enjoying yourself ;) Hope that helps, oh and I have a few other weekend toys, so this is more a daily :D :D :D
Thanks! That helps a lot! My head tells me Diesely heart says petrol! You see at the minute my toy is also my daily! :lol: but can't afford to keep that and have a nice daily...I love the RS3 but it is savage (stage2 tune) and wants to be driven hard all the time, it's just not comfortable cruising or pottering, it's like it gets upset :lol:

I want a comfortable cruiser but has some poke when I want to drive in a more spirited fashion! I know I need to test drive them all but I've had Audi for years (TTs, TTRS) so fancy a change and something more prestige...

Btw I loved the 435d what a car! And gearbox (ZF) is so much better than Audi DQ500..that's another reason I'm considering Porsche because the PDK system is supposed to be epic!
Maximus_84

Post by Maximus_84 »

Tom 2000 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:27 pm
The SD has more torque than God. I drove the petrol S and was not impressed by performance nor economy. That was accompanied by a sales exec. My only niggle is after having a Golf 7 R the SD doesn’t handle 3 figures very well.
I regularly drive country lanes and it does well. Not Golf R territory but that was scarey.
Love the Golf Rs great car! And god it's fast for a 2 litre and handles so much better than RS! I'm currently sitting at 750Nm of torque in mine at minute and it's just light speed fast...I know il struggle to get that type of power again but want to still be able to feel I'm going fast when needed (overtake)

I'm starting to think SD is the right choice here because of practicality...at the minute I get 45p a mile at work and I basically use all of that in petrol alone :lol: any options I should look out for that people feel you'd be daft not to have?
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Maximus_84 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:54 am

Love the Golf Rs great car! And god it's fast for a 2 litre and handles so much better than RS! I'm currently sitting at 750Nm of torque in mine at minute and it's just light speed fast...I know il struggle to get that type of power again but want to still be able to feel I'm going fast when needed (overtake)

I'm starting to think SD is the right choice here because of practicality...at the minute I get 45p a mile at work and I basically use all of that in petrol alone :lol: any options I should look out for that people feel you'd be daft not to have?
As regards options just suit yourself. But remember wheels maketh the car.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
happy days

Post by happy days »

Maximus_84 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:50 am
And gearbox (ZF) is so much better than Audi DQ500..that's another reason I'm considering Porsche because the PDK system is supposed to be epic!
AFAIK, the box in the Macan isn't a true PDK - it's the Audi DSG box.
Macan S D
718 S
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

happy days wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:32 pm
And gearbox (ZF) is so much better than Audi DQ500..that's another reason I'm considering Porsche because the PDK system is supposed to be epic!
Where the heck did you get that from? Every description/specification/review I've seen, both Porsche and independent says all Macans, pre and post facelift, are fitted with the Porsche PDK 'box.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Tom 2000 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:05 pm
Maximus_84 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:54 am

As regards options just suit yourself. But remember wheels maketh the car.
+1
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:44 pm
happy days wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:32 pm
Where the heck did you get that from? Every description/specification/review I've seen, both Porsche and independent says all Macans, pre and post facelift, are fitted with the Porsche PDK 'box.
+1.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018