EV in 2021 but Petrol to stay until 2024

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
paulmac

Post by paulmac »

A number of articles have appeared in the last day or two.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30852062/porsche-macan-gasoline-electric/

I hope this isnt just the US market.

Paul
Current : Macan Gen2
Current : Cayman 981

JBA

Post by JBA »

I hope so too.
EVs are over-rated and over-hyped. They are just not game-changing enough, all things considered, to overtake ICE any time soon.
I think manufacturers have jumped the gun a bit...just like they did with the rush to diesel..and look how that's shaped up.
ICE is still a brilliant technology and brings joy to us Macan drivers!
Long live the ICE.
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

JBA wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:05 pm EVs are over-rated and over-hyped. They are just not game-changing enough, all things considered, to overtake ICE any time soon. I think manufacturers have jumped the gun a bit...just like they did with the rush to diesel..and look how that's shaped up.
Blame the politicians, not the manufacturers. They are they ones who've changed the targets.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Hopefully GB will get some proper recharging infrastructure in the next few years.....

As the Top Gear TV review of the Taycan said - it can be recharged in 20 minutes......but there are only 4 of those fast public chargers here. Provided they are not already occupied, and then it still takes 20 minutes to recharge. Or it takes 24 hours on a home charger....really?!!!!
Last edited by SAC1 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
paulmac

Post by paulmac »

Ionity seemed like the company that would be able to roll out supercharging that would slowly become a game changer. Unfortunatly their announcement in January to replace the flat charge with per kw pricing will mean that without subsidies from the individual manufcturers (currently most potential support is coming from Germany) will mean around 45 euro for 200-300 km's.

I am told superchargers are very expensive to install. So much so that some OPC's are going to adopt fast charge instead.

Ionity is fast but expensive.

Paul
Current : Macan Gen2
Current : Cayman 981
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

paulmac wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:04 pm Ionity seemed like the company that would be able to roll out supercharging that would slowly become a game changer. Unfortunatly their announcement in January to replace the flat charge with per kw pricing will mean that without subsidies from the individual manufcturers (currently most potential support is coming from Germany) will mean around 45 euro for 200-300 km's.

I am told superchargers are very expensive to install. So much so that some OPC's are going to adopt fast charge instead.

Paul
Beginning to look like the idea that EVs are cheap to run if not buy are somewhat of the mark and thats even before government start to tax the electric used in a similar level to petrol. I doubt EVs are going to be very expensive indeed.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
JBA

Post by JBA »

SmallWheels wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:31 pm
JBA wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:05 pm EVs are over-rated and over-hyped. They are just not game-changing enough, all things considered, to overtake ICE any time soon. I think manufacturers have jumped the gun a bit...just like they did with the rush to diesel..and look how that's shaped up.
Blame the politicians, not the manufacturers. They are they ones who've changed the targets.
Yep agree. Politicians , green lobbyists and pressure groups will do anything for Greta!😉😉
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

paulmac wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:04 pm Ionity seemed like the company that would be able to roll out supercharging that would slowly become a game changer. Unfortunatly their announcement in January to replace the flat charge with per kw pricing will mean that without subsidies from the individual manufcturers (currently most potential support is coming from Germany) will mean around 45 euro for 200-300 km's.

Paul
Quick conversion tells me that is £40 for 150 miles. Compared to my Macan which returns £27 for £150 miles. The green will soon wear off that proposition.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Interesting. My Tesla costs me roughly £6 per 200 miles. Or free if I'm charging away from home on longer runs. So it's going to be a very long time before it costs more to run than any of my previous fossil cars.

I would think twice before moving away from Tesla simply because of their excellent supercharger network. But the reality of owning an EV is that I do more than 90% of my charging at home overnight, so the cost difference would be negligible if I had to pay for on-road charging for less than 10% of my total mileage. The big draw with the Tesla supercharger network is the convenience when travelling away from home, cost saving is more of a bonus.

As for an EV Macan being available in 2021 in the UK, I'll believe it when I can test drive one. Timing would be good for our next car change, but I can't see it happening fast enough.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Tom 2000 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:41 am

Paul
Quick conversion tells me that is £40 for 150 miles. Compared to my Macan which returns £27 for £150 miles. The green will soon wear off that proposition.
Yes but for non-Tesla owners, Ionity have no real fast charger competition at the moment. When the competition arrives the pricing should go down
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8