Factory tyres

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
ecmacan

Post by ecmacan »

Hi folks,

Silly question - but just wondering if I were to do factory order and say I’ve specified the 20” turbo wheels - which tyres come with them?

Will they be all season tyres?

Which make/model of tyres come with the 20” turbo wheels?

putt4par

Post by putt4par »

ecmacan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:45 am Hi folks,

Silly question - but just wondering if I were to do factory order and say I’ve specified the 20” turbo wheels - which tyres come with them?

My friend has a 2019 S, Porsche told him they no longer will supply all season tyres, summer tyres only ( P zeros in his case), he booked car in 4 months later and had them fit all season tyres as they were his preference, I now have the tyres he took off with only 2k miles on them, hope this helps.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

There's no such thing as a silly question!

The tyres will most likely be Michelin Latitude 3 or Pirelli P Zero. These were the only makes approved for 20" wheels on the last available approvals list. Certainly for the UK market they will be summer tyres, you can no longer specify all seasons on the Macan. And you can't specify a brand either, it will be whatever is fitted at the factory at that time.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:08 am

The tyres will most likely be Michelin Latitude 3 or Pirelli P Zero. These were the only makes approved for 20" wheels on the last available approvals list. Certainly for the UK market they will be summer tyres, you can no longer specify all seasons on the Macan. And you can't specify a brand either, it will be whatever is fitted at the factory at that time.
Hi Nick,
Do you think the demise of the all season tyre option dissapeared with the demise of the diesel engine option?
ecmacan

Post by ecmacan »

Thanks folks.

I wonder whether if you fit the ‘non-approved’ all season tyres, it would void/affect the Porsche warranty?
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

putt4par wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:22 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:08 am

Hi Nick,
Do you think the demise of the all season tyre option dissapeared with the demise of the diesel engine option?
It may have been a coincidence then, I think it may be due more to the WLTP regulations which require certification for every model and every configuration produced. Obviously tyres have a big impact on fuel consumption. Another factor will be the type approval for seasonal tyres ie summer and winter, particularly the different requirements in every market and the fact that few all season tyres meet the winter requirements.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Guy

Post by Guy »

putt4par wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:22 am Do you think the demise of the all season tyre option dissapeared with the demise of the diesel engine option?
I think that they disappeared when the German winter tyre rules changed on 1 Jan 18, given that there was no longer an N-rated all-seasons tyre available that meets the 3PMSF requirement.

I'm not a camper but there's a good explanation of the winter tyre rules here: https://www.eurocampings.co.uk/blog/listing/new-regulations-for-winter-tyres-germany/
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Forgive my ignorance but how significant a difference will the winter tyres make as opposed to the summer tyres if you're just driving day to day on UK town roads and motorways?

If I was in the Nordic countries I'd understand better the need for changing according to the seasons but for the UK we'll just be sitting in traffic regardless of our tyres because the mere mention of snow brings us to a standstill!
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

Bazza06 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:15 pm Forgive my ignorance but how significant a difference will the winter tyres make as opposed to the summer tyres if you're just driving day to day on UK town roads and motorways?

If I was in the Nordic countries I'd understand better the need for changing according to the seasons but for the UK we'll just be sitting in traffic regardless of our tyres because the mere mention of snow brings us to a standstill!
Haha,
How very true, the difference is in rubber compounds used in both and the temperature they both perform best in, so 7 degrees and below winter tyres are an advantage, 7 degrees and above them summers have the edge, But as you point out sitting going nowhere which appears to be a national pastime has the edge on them all!!
pmg

Post by pmg »

Bazza06 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:15 pm Forgive my ignorance but how significant a difference will the winter tyres make as opposed to the summer tyres if you're just driving day today on UK town roads and motorways?

My understanding is that the Nordic countries have tyres beyond the Standard EU winter tyre spec. Some [url]www.tyrereviews.com[/url] go into all this.

[url]https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Summer-All-Season-All-Weather-Winter-Nordic-and-Studded-Tyres.htm[/url]

Snow brings the UK to a standstill because the vast majority of our motorists don't fit winter tyres. I admit in the South this winter as so far been generally above the 7deg test but not many days well above. Having said that on a Facebook group for fans of Exmoor. yesterday there was a sad picture of a Ford Focus owned by a dog walker that had skiddy off on an icy road on a bend at the bottom of a valley by a stone bridge. I suspect winter tyres would have saved the day
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8