Factory tyres

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
ecmacan

Post by ecmacan »

Any recommendations for the 20” winter tyres? (Ideally that are Porsche “approved”)?

Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

With our weather you could have the winters on in summer and the summers on in winter :D

Have to say, this will be the last of my considerations.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

pmg wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:00 pm
Bazza06 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:15 pm Forgive my ignorance but how significant a difference will the winter tyres make as opposed to the summer tyres if you're just driving day today on UK town roads and motorways?

If I was in the Nordic countries I'd understand better the need for changing according to the seasons but for the UK we'll just be sitting in traffic regardless of our tyres because the mere mention of snow brings us to a standstill!
My understanding is that the Nordic countries have tyres beyond the Standard EU winter tyre spec. Some [url]www.tyrereviews.com[/url] go into all this.

[url]https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Summer-All-Season-All-Weather-Winter-Nordic-and-Studded-Tyres.htm[/url]

Snow brings the UK to a standstill because the vast majority of our motorists don't fit winter tyres. I admit in the South this winter as so far been generally above the 7deg test but not many days well above. Having said that on a Facebook group for fans of Exmoor. yesterday there was a sad picture of a Ford Focus owned by a dog walker that had skiddy off on an icy road on a bend at the bottom of a valley by a stone bridge. I suspect winter tyres would have saved the day
If that is the case I'm surprised we don't have more education around it. Other than this forum I never hear of a discussion about tyres other than those that are illegal.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

ecmacan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:02 pm Any recommendations for the 20” winter tyres? (Ideally that are Porsche “approved”)?
Michelin Latitude Alpin LA2
Dunlop Winter Sport 4D
Pirelli Scorpion Winter

These are the only 20" winters on the Porsche approved list and are all N0 rated.

I'm a Michelin fan so that's what I would go for, however Pirelli and Dunlop are good too, according to independent tests I've seen in the past.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
ecmacan

Post by ecmacan »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:19 pm
ecmacan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:02 pm Any recommendations for the 20” winter tyres? (Ideally that are Porsche “approved”)?
Michelin Latitude Alpin LA2
Dunlop Winter Sport 4D
Pirelli Scorpion Winter

These are the only 20" winters on the Porsche approved list and are all N0 rated.

I'm a Michelin fan so that's what I would go for, however Pirelli and Dunlop are good too, according to independent tests I've seen in the past.
Thank you Sir!
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

If it helps I have in 20 inch format Michelin Lattitude Alpin supplied by Porsche as a winter set on Spyder rims, I have to admit I do not really notice a fall off in handling capabilites from the P zero summer set up to the winters, probably a tribute to the overall design but also could be due to less opportunities to push on hard in the winter.
The Michelins seem quite hard wearing also.
Good luck.
ecmacan

Post by ecmacan »

Thanks all.

Just wondering, what are the Porsche approved winter tyres for 21" wheels?
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

ecmacan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:44 pm Thanks all.

There aren’t any.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
ecmacan

Post by ecmacan »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:40 pm
ecmacan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:44 pm Thanks all.

There aren’t any.
Thanks for the swift response!

Interesting... looks like I have no choice but to stick with 20” turbos!
nick265sprint

Post by nick265sprint »

It depends where in the country you live, up here in the North East near Newcastle, I and few friends always fit winter tyres to a normal car. So it will be the same with the Macan, although it's got the Michelin Latitude factory fit tyres on mine, so should be OK. But snow is a certainty some time during the year. Not had the car long, but given the comments above, feedback on how they drive is good so far, no complaints. Like others I also like Michelin tyres and find them great for wet/bad weather tyres. But also they have some good tyres if your going on track eg Cup2
Black SD, Pan Roof,18 way seats, Nav, PCM, PASM etc
Avid car collector :D really should sell some ;)