Pads and discs

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
CamGTS

Post by CamGTS »

OK so I finally got round to doing rear discs and pads on my Macan GTS and it is very straightforward provided you do it in the correct way. So usual of jacking up rear and removing wheels. Turn ignition on and release EPB then switch off ignition. Parking brake will stay off. Remove wear connector by tilting and turning 1/4 turn. There is no need to remove connector to the EPB motor but you can if you want. Next remove the EPB motor - 2 smallish torx on rear. Now this is the important bit - before you do anything else like trying to remove calipers etc you need to put the caliper into service mode. You do this by turning the female torx on the back of the caliper clockwise until it stops. No need for a wrench as it is only finger tight. you do NOT need a computer/diagnostics to do this - another OPC myth! Once you've done this the piston caliper can be pushed back. Note it is not a screw type and it's easiest to do this with the old pads/discs still in place. If you put a screwdriver down through the top of the caliper at the "U" section and pull it towards you the piston will retract quite easily (remember to remove brake fluid reservoir cap). Once the piston is retracted fully back it is a simple case of removing the 2 bolts holding the caliper and lifting it off the caliper carrier along with the pads. Again no need to remove the caliper carrier and if you are replacing the discs you can still get the old disc out and the new one in without removing the carrier. Remove all the old parts and replace with new pad spring carriers, new pads (and new discs if required - my rear discs and pads were more worn that the fronts surprisingly) and new wear indicators (lube as required). Refit the EPB motor. Now here is an another important bit. Once you have everything in place and tightened you need to apply the EPB before you do anything else. You will hear it whirring in the same way as usual when you apply the EPB but it will take a lot longer - up to 10-15 secs. Now you can push the brake pedal which should be firm. I did this cycle a few times just to be sure. Refit wheels, torque etc. Fire it up and drive forward gently and apply foot brake - all should be good. Also drive forward and apply the EPB - it should go into emergency brake mode and bring you to a halt. Finally check the "hold" feature is working by applying foot brake when stationary - again you should hear the EPB working.
Once I had worked out the correct way to do this it only took about 15 mins each side. Sorry but I didn't take photos but hopefully this is detailed enough.
,As for parts the caliper is VW/Audi TRW and the old pads that came out were TRW pads so if you use TRW they will be same as factory fit/OEM. I fitted Ferodo. No marking on the discs that came off but I used Brembos which have painted edges so don't rust and look as bad as OEM Porsche discs once rusty. All parts were from buycarparts.co.uk in Berlin - for just £133.00 as follows
09.B969.11Brake Disc2
FDB4410Brake Pad Set, disc brake1
LX0383Accessory Kit, disc brake pads1
98046500Warning Contact, brake pad wear1
GBP 132,98

The fronts are even easier to do and need no further explanation
Forward Edit Quote Reply #17

Paul

Post by Paul »

Great post for any DIYers out there👍
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

good job CamGTS, THANKS
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

Thanks CamGTS, exactly the method I used. All pads front and back on mine were worn almost identically, just goes to show that Porsche know how to set up the brakes.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

Yes thanks to both CamGTS and Andy352 , worth noting that the parking brake reset problem is a DIY fix, great savings can be found.
happy days

Post by happy days »

Great post!
Macan S D
718 S
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

A candidate for Golden Spanner Award.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
happy days

Post by happy days »

Tom 2000 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:15 am A candidate for Golden Spanner Award.
As opposed to the Total Spanner Award?
Macan S D
718 S
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Brakes are one of the few things left these days that a confidant amateur mechanic can attempt. Great write up and very helpful
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Uni11

Post by Uni11 »

If I didn’t have 2years 2months warranty left I would’ve gone down the route of upgraded discs and pads. For now I guess il just have to buy genuine parts and get a local garage to fit them.

That was a great write up camgts