Proof In Car Tech does Distract

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Something I've always felt to be the case:

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/campaign-p ... fotainment

Especially true in the UK with most drivers being right handed.......
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

This confirms my suspicions. I do not use Android Auto and Apple CarPlay via touch control in cars for this reason.

I use the car's radio, but leave it on the station I selected from starting the car. Similarly with the Sat Nav. If i have to reset it I find somewhere safe to pull in and stop. I'm no saint, but having driven over 1.6 million miles in my life time, I've seen the results of unnecessary distractions. That's why I'm amazed that the proliferation of touch screens has been allowed / tolerated vs hard buttons / turn knobs.

HUD is good because it's passive; just giving information in your immediate field of vision without driver input. Why has HUD not been universally adopted like touch screens have become.

I'm continually astounded at the number of drivers that still hold there smartphone while driving, especially when their vehicle is in motion. A lot of these people are driving [expensive] vehicles too where Bluetooth is standard fitment, so why not use it. :evil:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

As I think I've said before I have recently been struck, thankfully not literally, by the number of drivers I meet looking down at screens and not the road ahead.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

I think you should be able to gag your passenger as well. :lol: :lol:
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Ferdie wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:07 pm I think you should be able to gag your passenger as well. :lol: :lol:
Agree Denis! But she comes in quite handy for operating the touch screen, and she’s right handed! :lol:
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

amazed that the proliferation of touch screens has been allowed / tolerated vs hard buttons / turn knobs.

Back in the day in pursuit of improved road safety legislation was introduced to make control recognition tactile. Switches laid out in order with a definable on/off.

They call it progress!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Dombo

Post by Dombo »

One of the things that sold me on the Macan was the array of physical buttons compared to its peers.
Macan S
996 C2 cab
Fiat 500 Twinair
Deleted User 3304

Post by Deleted User 3304 »

Using Apple Car Play with my left hand when I'm right-handed is certainly not a good thing!
Luckily (in my 2020 Macan) the right hand knob does basic navigation of the screen so makes it easier and avoids fingerprints too!
mid-life

Post by mid-life »

left-hander here, so I can safely use the screen with my left, while eating a sandwich with my right and steering with my knees .. perfect …. who says men can’t multitask 8-)