Any views on covers, please?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

RGS wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:00 pm Wish I had one, my car lives outside and yesterday on hottest day so far a passing bird scored a direct hit on my clean bonnet. By the time I noticed, it had already hardened and when I cleaned it off the acid had cut through all the paint protection down to the clear coat. Unable to polish out, tried the hairdryer trick to no avail. Looks like I've got to live with it because past experience has shown these marks are impossible to remove and car only 6 months old
Can be a pain got to approach it carefully, although if not burned into the clear coat you could try a scratch and swirl remover to polish it out.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

They aren’t impossible to remove. A professional detailed can easily polish it out. You also might find it fades over time as heat can help repair it but not likely to make it go invisible. The detailer is the key.
RGS

Post by RGS »

Thanks for advice, I thought about a detailer but most seem to have closed down because of Coronovirus and being in a vulnerable category I've been self isolating. I had a similar problem some years ago on a brand new Mercedes that had clearly been stored in a compound without protection. The bird damage wasn't visible initially but as the weeks passed it was clear that all flat surfaces had been affected. The dealer took it back to their bodyshop who certainly made it look better, but after a few weeks the markings re-appeared. I rejected the car and had a replacement. There are some thoughts backed up by research that if the clear coat has been etched by bird lime deposits, heating the area affected can cause the clear coat to "flow & expand" and the marks will gradually disappear with repeated applications and no damage to the surrounding paintwork or paint protection, but that needs someone who knows what their doing I guess, I tried a hairdryer to no apparent effect but I haven't tried a mld abrasive yet. Any suggestions to the best to use would be appreciated. Should have used a cover lol !
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Try something not too abrasive at first like Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Then you can go for more abrasion if needed but to be honest I would wait until you can get it to a professional. Hear can help yes which is why sometimes even just the warm sun can make it go away.
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

SRP will remove birdlime etching easily. It has a surprisingly good 'cut' when used with an abrasive pad or even by hand with a 'german' applicator....
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
RGS

Post by RGS »

Thanks for your help, I only had Autoglym Resin to hand which didn't work so I have ordered some Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 which is clear coat friendly and contains micro abrasives. Thats about as brave as I want to go. Should have used a cover lol !
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Yes something like Scratch x is the correct next stage. Then polish it with Srp to remove the minor marring it will cause. Then it’s a Pro needed if that doesn’t do the trick.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

MikeM wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:58 pm
RGS wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:00 pm Wish I had one, my car lives outside and yesterday on hottest day so far a passing bird scored a direct hit on my clean bonnet. By the time I noticed, it had already hardened and when I cleaned it off the acid had cut through all the paint protection down to the clear coat. Unable to polish out, tried the hairdryer trick to no avail. Looks like I've got to live with it because past experience has shown these marks are impossible to remove and car only 6 months old
Can be a pain got to approach it carefully, although if not burned into the clear coat you could try a scratch and swirl remover to polish it out.
Top tip, carry a small can of WD40 with you to remove bird droppings, it works without scratching the clear coat. Spray and wait for 30 seconds or longer if there's a lot.

As for car covers. I had a tailor made one for a BMW 645ci some time ago. It was 'breathable' and waterproof. I bought as the car was parked close to a tree which was a meeting point for Pigeons with the obvious consequences. Kept the crap off bit my word it was a pain to put on and remove, especially in the rain and cold. I sold it and had the tree cut down, problem solved.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Even topper tip is carry a pack of Autoglym bird dripping remover wipes in the car. They soften the residue and you can gently lift the mess away, don’t wipe!

However neither the wipes or Wd40 will help avoid damage occurring if the mess has been there for a short time and caused damage.
Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

MCDK wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:24 am Even topper tip is carry a pack of Autoglym bird dripping remover wipes in the car. They soften the residue and you can gently lift the mess away, don’t wipe!

However neither the wipes or Wd40 will help avoid damage occurring if the mess has been there for a short time and caused damage.
Good shout although kept some in my Mk1 Golf R for 4 years or so and never needed them! :lol: