Worth changing an SD for a Turbo

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

Hi, I have a first world problem I’d appreciate any thoughts on

I have had a MY14 SD for 2 yrs and have loved it. I bought from an indie and took a 2 yr aftermarket warranty which was soon useful to replace the transfer box. Im a keen driver and enjoy the low down torque and having the option to flip to sport mode in the twisters. Could have a bit more pace but not sure whether I’d be able to use much more in the real world (?)

The decision is whether to do the next service (6yrs) and extend the warranty or trade in for a turbo to change up the driving experience. I’d buy second hand and estimate the cost of switching at £10K-£15k

I’ll do a test drive when things open up again but in the meantime any thoughts of whether it’s worth the cost and hassle to make this change? How much more fun is a turbo in the real world?

Thanks!

kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Not sure £15k would be enough. GTS territory maybe? I came from an A4 quattro diesel and the move to GTS petrol is not something I regret, fun factor is significantly higher; the torque from a diesel is great, but it quickly runs out of steam where the petrol is just getting started. I cant comment directly on the SD, which many rate highly.

I guess it also comes down to running costs and how much you like the MPG and performance you get from your SD - how many miles you do? would it be a problem going to low 20s MPG?
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

thanks kmacuk, thats good context.

I do 4-5k miles a year in the SD and have a second daily driver that does the family daily driving so consumption is not really an issue.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Normally I would say that using a diesel for 4-5k a year is not a good idea. But you have another car for regular use so I assume you just use the diesel for longer journeys. The turbo has the same suspension setup as the SD but obviously there is a lot more power available.

I'm changing to a GTS based on one test drive but I've not driven a pre-facelift version of either the GTS or the Turbo. The cheapest Turbo on the Porsche website is £39,250. It has covered nearly 60k miles and was first registered in March 2015. If you want anything newer than that then your cost to change is likely to exceed £15k.

Happy hunting.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

GTS seems a more logical set, better mpg than the turbo and all the fun.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

You would be lucky to get £25k for the 2014 SD, maybe lower depending on spec. Talk about going from the sublime to the ridiculous, m.p.g.wise of course. I think my next steer will have an M in front of it and a V8 just behind that.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:18 pm You would be lucky to get £25k for the 2014 SD, maybe lower depending on spec. Talk about going from the sublime to the ridiculous, m.p.g.wise of course. I think my next steer will have an M in front of it and a V8 just behind that.
MGB V8 then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

pmg wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:05 pm
Cheshire Cat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:18 pm You would be lucky to get £25k for the 2014 SD, maybe lower depending on spec. Talk about going from the sublime to the ridiculous, m.p.g.wise of course. I think my next steer will have an M in front of it and a V8 just behind that.
MGB V8 then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sold! to that man 😉

34D7721E-BDC4-428D-A5CB-95EB59D56D56.jpeg

Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

The pre-plastic bumper ones or a Costello, were great cars.................... not least because the V8 was about 20 pounds lighter than the 'B' series engine.......
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
pmg

Post by pmg »

bennachie wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:58 am The pre-plastic bumper ones or a Costello, were great cars.................... not least because the V8 was about 20 pounds lighter than the 'B' series engine.......
There is a USA Porsche enthusiasts YouTuber who has just imported one of the later ones(I suspect ) to the States. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AivbLBshmWo
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8