B pillar trim warranty issue?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
964steve

Post by 964steve »

Hi,
Has anyone else had any issue with cracked b pillar trim? I noticed a crack in mine when washing the car and it has not received and knocks. However, my OPC is refusing to cover under warranty, as they say it has been caused by "damage". Car is coming up 3yrs old and photo below. Just trying to get opinions of if I should fight it.
Thanks for your input. I think I saw one other post on here saying it was fixed as goodwill but not sure how widespread.
Steve

20200518_133854.jpg

Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Have you had a quote for a replacement. In my experience Porsche trim parts are normally reasonably priced.
964steve

Post by 964steve »

Total cost for them to fit is 300 but I haven't asked for just the price of the part yet. There is a YouTube video of how to fit so if it comes to that I may fit it myself, depending on what proportion is labour.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I was the one who had the driver's side replaced as a 'goodwill gesture' - although many on the US Forum have had it done under warranty. If it happened again I'd probably use the You Tube video and do it myself.
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Difficult one to argue it isn't damage. However in my limited experience Porsche won't consider it after the 3 year warranty runs out. I've had wheel centres replaced (once) and black exhaust pipes (twice) inside three year warranty but even with extended warranty they won't consider the tail pipes again.

I'd be firm but polite and push for Porsche to fix it for you

Good luck
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
davewf

Post by davewf »

The extended warranty does not cover cosmetic defects, so unlikely it would be replaced. Looking at the You Tube its only 3 screws so simple enough to replace. I wouldn't even think of paying someone else to do that.
Guy

Post by Guy »

davewf wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:02 am The extended warranty does not cover cosmetic defects, so unlikely it would be replaced.
His car is less than three years old, hence on the original warranty. However, as I have posted previously, the OPC wouldn't submit a warranty claim on mine despite similar circumstances (< 3 years old). However, they were quite happy to do it as a 'goodwill gesture' - I suspect that this was due to the low cost of repair balanced against the time and effort to submit a warranty claim to Porsche HQ.

For info, when I researched my replacement, I found the part number is 95B853318F. A quick search shows it should be < €40. Maybe buy it direct from the OPC and ask them to fit for free?
964steve

Post by 964steve »

The part is 28quid so I'm just going to fit it myself rather than argue. I guess just a warning to all to make sure the car door is closed using the handle rather than pushing the trim because I guess it could have been repeated pushing of that over time which caused it. Now I have got my wife a bmw i3 for the school run so the macan will be spared daily abuse😉
Guy

Post by Guy »

964steve wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:20 pm The part is 28quid so I'm just going to fit it myself rather than argue.
Makes sense at that price!
964steve wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:20 pm I guess just a warning to all to make sure the car door is closed using the handle rather than pushing the trim because I guess it could have been repeated pushing of that over time which caused it.
I owned mine from new and never closed the door by pushing the trim! I suspect a faulty batch, potentially made worse by hot weather/direct sunlight.