Hi! Cayman S owner ...switching to a Macan here

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
max99

Post by max99 »

nsm3 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:30 am This was my exact route from Cayman to Macan, right down to specs and mileage! Again, it was a head over heart decision, as I couldn't live with the lack of carrying capacity anymore.

That was back in Oct 2017. I've no doubt, like me, you will have moments of "what have I done", as the 2 cars are a completely different driving experience?

At times, you will miss that crisp, all encompassing sports car thrill (which the Cayman gives, the equal of the couple of 911's I had).

Then again, as a mid-size SUV, the Macan is difficult to beat, but as has been mentioned elsewhere, a switch to a petrol S (or even GTS), may be less of a 'transition' as fuel cost savings will be minimal? The diesel is a very torquey lump though (similar output to the Turbo?), so it can pick its skirts up and hustle along nicely.

Edit to add: You 'WILL' miss the PSE! :D
Thanks so much for replying, yep sounds like I’m In exactly same place as you a few years ago. Are you happy with your choice in the diesel or would you change if you went back in time?

nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

The diesel is a great engine for the Macan, could have a bit more welly like the SQ5, but Porsche drop kicked the engines to the curb 6 months after I bought mine and I'm disappointed with the current residual values tbh?

If I could go back, I'd probably go petrol and push for the GTS, but that is a financial consideration, rather than a criticism of the diesel version. If you are buying used, you may well end up better off, if overall diesel demand remains high?

At the end of the day, this is an SUV (a very good one), but it's not a sports car, so imho, the oil burner characteristics suit the car very well?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

nsm3 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:30 am
Why? My diesel has PSE and its fantastic, I only turn it off on the motorway and it leaves the car whisper quiet, otherwise it sounds like a Porsche should.

I had a Cayman T when my Macan was being fixed, I had it for three days and I can honestly say I was glad to get rid of it. It was too loud, uncomfortable and raw. It is probably a hoot on a track though.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Fair enough, but from what I see on the 2nd hand adverts, PSE isn't a very common option on the diesel versions?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

nsm3 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:34 pm Fair enough, but from what I see on the 2nd hand adverts, PSE isn't a very common option on the diesel versions?
No, not at all. I was lucky to find one with £24k worth of options.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Kleynie wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:20 pm
nsm3 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:30 am
Why? My diesel has PSE and its fantastic, I only turn it off on the motorway and it leaves the car whisper quiet, otherwise it sounds like a Porsche should.

I had a Cayman T when my Macan was being fixed, I had it for three days and I can honestly say I was glad to get rid of it. It was too loud, uncomfortable and raw. It is probably a hoot on a track though.
I doubt very much that your Diesel PSE provides anything like the aural effect you get when dumping a load of unburnt fuel into a petrol car exhaust system.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Probably right, but for a diesel it sounds great.
VanB

Post by VanB »

I think your biggest problem with a diesel Macan is the lack of mileage, particularly if it involves short journeys - e.g. school run. It's a great and efficient mile muncher but wouldn't touch one otherwise. And whilst the Macan is a supremely capable car it is no sports car and the transition from a Cayman S to a Macan can be a bit of a jolt. I went to a Macan GTS from a Cayman S kept it a year and now in a 911 GTS. I actually think the Cayman is a better "sports car" than the 911, incidentally (probably need to hide at this point).

However, if you need a mid-size SUV I still think you will struggle to find a car better than the Macan although I would still question your choice of a diesel.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

The DPF problems seem to have been largely cured on the later cars. Mine has done 18k in 3.5 years and is fine (touching wood), my previous BMW 535d did the same sort of mileage and I did 37k miles in that trouble free.
Anyhow, the petrol models have particulate filter now, so no escaping.
max99

Post by max99 »

Thanks for all the replies guys, from doing further research and taking into account replies on here I'm now more than likely going to go for the Macan S Petrol :) for both the reasons of we will be doing lots of short journeys and that extra power/noise you get? Plus the value I think will hold better in the petrol than a diesel