Caught the Bug!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
LesThAn<

Post by LesThAn< »

Hello all,

Another Porsche newbie here. Currently driving (and loving) my Golf GTI but now looking for something just that bit bigger, that bit sportier and that bit more refined. It seems to me that the Macan will tick all those boxes.

From my albeit limited research I think what I'm looking for is an SD, S or GTS with the following options in a semi-priority order:

• Panoramic Roof (Because why not?)
  • PASM (Obligatory isn't it?)
  • BOSE Sound (Presumably a worthwhile upgrade)
  • Air Suspension (Better comfort?)
  • Reversing Camera (Better safe than sorry)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (For the long drives)
  • Roof Rails (I'll need to get skis up there)
  • Tow Bar/Prep (I need to get the bikes on the back)
What do you think? Am I on the right track? Are some of those options a waste of time?

I've been looking at used as well and the Adaptive Cruise Control seems either rare, or only added to card with loads and loads of other kit which unnecessarily put the price up for things I don't really need.

Also, what's the latest with the SDs? I have no issue driving one, the question is regarding residuals when I come to sell. My guess is that there will always be a demand in the next 2-4 years I'm likely to keep it for the benefits of the SD.

Anyway, a big hello to all and I can't wait to get my hands on one of these four-wheeled pots of fun!

<

Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

The Macan should disappoint, it’s a brilliant vehicle. But it ain’t going to ‘sportier’ than a GTI, It will look the part, has the Porsche DNA & is ‘sportiest’ SUV out there by a country mile but it’s still an SUV. If a drivers car is what you are after, go for the GTS, if economy & practicality are slightly higher on the list perhaps a nice SD is the better choice.
Pan roof, brilliant especially if you have kids In the back, cabin is so much brighter. PASM yes, Bose, yes, air maybe if the car runs on 21” wheels, roof bars & tow bar essential by the sounds of it. I have the surround view cameras, very handy and the wife loves them also. Cruise up to you. Only thing I’d mention is be careful what seats the car comes with, I’ve got the 18 ways which are simply brilliant - but only if you fit in them!!
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Plus 1 for panoramic cameras, very handy for preserving your expensive wheels whilst parking, also air & pano roof. Mine has comfort seat package which I believe are 14 way & are very comfortable.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
LesThAn<

Post by LesThAn< »

Thanks for the tips.

I suppose in all fairness I don't expect the Macan to be my car of choice if I'm out up a mountain road for the shear hell of it, the GTI will still be my first love I think.

Having said that if I can get the practicality benefits, that bit more refinement, and not feel like I'm driving a rubber brick then I'll be happy. Sort of how I ended up coming to the Macan as an option. I'll likely be doing 10-12,000 miles a year including long drives the length of the UK and across France and the more I think about it a 2016 onwards (for the newer nav, etc.) SD with the right spec may be the sensible way to go. I live in London so all journeys will be to get out of the city and onto the motorways. It's not like I've got the perfect B-roads just outside my door and will crave that Turbo performance.

Once I'm in France I have my GTI there and do have the Alps on my doorstep. The Macan will come into its own when hauling four adults plus skis up a winter road though.

Hmm, maybe I've just convinced myself...
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Go for it. The 6-cylinder engines are amazing in the Macan. We have a 68 plate Leon 2.0i 190 BHP and both the SD and GTS are more sophisticated, rapid and luxurious. The SD does better mpg than the 2.0i Golf; the GTS gives more smiles :D both will make you happy.

Arrange a long Macan test drive.....
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

It ain’t no rubber brick & has refinement by the bucket load. From what you say it will be pretty much spot on for your needs.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
LesThAn<

Post by LesThAn< »

Thanks guys. As you mention, I think it is just what we're looking for.

Is there a trick to negotiating a long test drive?