Update - GTS Driven & Deposit Paid!

All your ordering information here!
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

Test drove a very basic MY20 GTS today. I think the only options were metallic paint and turbo design 20s! Have put a deposit down, with a Nov/Dec build slot and have until mid Sept to confirm my spec.

What I learned:
  • Air Suspension not needed on 20s
  • 20s look small
  • Standard stereo is good, BOSE is better
  • I am not a fan of the Alcantara (Did not see Race Tex)
  • I don't need an SC timer on the dash
  • On an MY20 the smoker pack does not change the sockets in the arm rest, or in the back
  • I like the extended leather on the doors etc.
  • I don't need to pay for heated seats, front heated seats are included
However my open questions:
  • Is Air needed on 21s?
  • Is BOSE £800+ better
  • Is SC worth it for the "I" mode and the power button?
  • Is the MY21 smoker pack the same as the MY20 (I read somewhere here you lose the USBs?)
  • Do I need extra air bags in the back - is this scaremongering
  • Should I colour code the mirrors, now they come standard in black
I am assuming that without SC, the selections you make for "Sport", or PASM / Exhaust are forgotten whenever you start the car. I used to always get in my 997 and go through pushing the various buttons each time I used it. However with SC you could save this under "I" and leave the rotary dial in "I" and the car would start in that mode each time?

Does anyone have any more info on the MY21 smoker's pack? I agree with the consensus that this is worth the money to have the cover on the 12v socket, however am concerned by a post I read here somewhere saying you lose the rear(?) USB power points for an additional ash tray on the MY21?

kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Elrao wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:00 pm Test drove a very basic MY20 GTS today. I think the only options were metallic paint and turbo design 20s! Have put a deposit down, with a Nov/Dec build slot and have until mid Sept to confirm my spec.

What I learned:
  • Air Suspension not needed on 20s
  • 20s look small
  • Standard stereo is good, BOSE is better
  • I am not a fan of the Alcantara (Did not see Race Tex)
  • I don't need an SC timer on the dash
  • On an MY20 the smoker pack does not change the sockets in the arm rest, or in the back
  • I like the extended leather on the doors etc.
  • I don't need to pay for heated seats, front heated seats are included
However my open questions:
  • Is Air needed on 21s?
  • Is BOSE £800+ better
  • Is SC worth it for the "I" mode and the power button?
  • Is the MY21 smoker pack the same as the MY20 (I read somewhere here you lose the USBs?)
  • Do I need extra air bags in the back - is this scaremongering
  • Should I colour code the mirrors, now they come standard in black
I am assuming that without SC, the selections you make for "Sport", or PASM / Exhaust are forgotten whenever you start the car. I used to always get in my 997 and go through pushing the various buttons each time I used it. However with SC you could save this under "I" and leave the rotary dial in "I" and the car would start in that mode each time?

Does anyone have any more info on the MY21 smoker's pack? I agree with the consensus that this is worth the money to have the cover on the 12v socket, however am concerned by a post I read here somewhere saying you lose the rear(?) USB power points for an additional ash tray on the MY21?
Is Air needed on 21s?
Only you can really answer this, as like colour ride comfort seems to be very personal: I test drove 20s and 21s and honestly I could not feel the difference, I bought the latter and I drive in PASM sport setting unless in the town; It’s a GTS and for me air is not a sport addition, it’s a comfort selection. I feel, even with no air, the car can be a little "floaty" on fast undulating B roads in standard PASM so air I would imagine would be more so. We have a Cayman so that really is firm and might be why I prefer the firmer settings. Air on the lowest setting does look better than steel springs and that I would prefer.

Is BOSE £800+ better.

Not good VFM IMHO, its louder, better maybe, that’s subjective, but for me the standard is good enough for a car system and its better than the Bose in my previous A4; I mostly turn it down anyway so I can hear the PSE :) Personal preference.

Is SC worth it for the "I" mode and the power button?

I chose not to add SC and can’t say I miss the individual setting, the power button I don’t really get, as it just seems to be the same as flooring the car for max power on a timer. SC is something (Like Pan roof) that dealers indicate is a must have for a GTS

Do I need extra air bags in the back - is this scaremongering?

It’s a very well built 2 tonne SUV.... could be overkill, but really, it’s down to your personal thoughts on risk, more so if kids in the back regularly.

Should I colour code the mirrors, now they come standard in black

Yes, and I would recommend you add the Sport design mirrors and in body colour look great on a GTS (would also add heated GT wheel too) 2 of my favourite options.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

On the question of Air, if you can, try cars with all the different options and decide from there. I've had an S with standard steel suspension, a GTS with PASM and my current GTS with Air and PASM all on 20" Spyders. While none of the cars were harsh or crashed badly over poor surfaces you can definitely tell the difference with Air especially when lowering the height on Motorways. I've not driven a car on 21s so can't offer an opinion on that.

My first Macan had the standard stereo which was ok, the last 2 have had BOSE. BOSE it better in my opinion but that doesn't make it brilliant.

I think I've used SC once in my current GTS. A bit of a gimmick on a Macan I think.

Can't offer an opinion on the other questions but hope the above helps in some way.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

Thanks, unfortunately I didn't have an opportunity to drive any Macan on 21s - good to see one report at least that they aren't massively different. I didn't notice a massive difference in ride quality switching the PASM from sport to normal. Typically the sales rep was pushing Air with 21s and it is on my current order.

I think is BOSE was £300-£400 more then maybe I would get it. Hard to judge without being able to move from one to the other instantly, with the same road noise, same music etc. It may well be the sacrificial lamb on my order form.

Surprisingly the sales rep agreed with the view that SC on a GTS was a must have ... if that GTS is a 911, but not so much on an SUV. I asked if the power button actually did anything with the engine timing / fuelling etc, or it just adjusted the gear changes. I don't think he really knew!
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

Miopyk wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:36 pm On the question of Air, if you can, try cars with all the different options and decide from there. I've had an S with standard steel suspension, a GTS with PASM and my current GTS with Air and PASM all on 20" Spyders. While none of the cars were harsh or crashed badly over poor surfaces you can definitely tell the difference with Air especially when lowering the height on Motorways. I've not driven a car on 21s so can't offer an opinion on that.

My first Macan had the standard stereo which was ok, the last 2 have had BOSE. BOSE it better in my opinion but that doesn't make it brilliant.

I think I've used SC once in my current GTS. A bit of a gimmick on a Macan I think.

Can't offer an opinion on the other questions but hope the above helps in some way.
Key questions...would you buy Air again (on 20s). I assume as you have had BOSE twice, you would buy it again! Given your comment on SC, you probably wouldn't buy this again?
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Elrao wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:52 pm
Miopyk wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:36 pm On the question of Air, if you can, try cars with all the different options and decide from there. I've had an S with standard steel suspension, a GTS with PASM and my current GTS with Air and PASM all on 20" Spyders. While none of the cars were harsh or crashed badly over poor surfaces you can definitely tell the difference with Air especially when lowering the height on Motorways. I've not driven a car on 21s so can't offer an opinion on that.

Key questions...would you buy Air again (on 20s). I assume as you have had BOSE twice, you would buy it again! Given your comment on SC, you probably wouldn't buy this again?
On balance yes I would buy Air on 20s again as I think it does make a difference. Yes again to BOSE. SC is expected on a GTS so that was the choice on that for me but wouldn't bother on other Macan variants.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

I have on my 2017 S air & 21”, which I believe is a good option as you can have it comfort or as sport as you want to go. However I had a loan 20 reg GTS on 21” with air for about 12 weeks, and the lowered spring/ride height in my opinion was not for me, it was just too crashy maybe that has a lot to do with the local roads or not.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Toddie wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:50 pm I have on my 2017 S air & 21”, which I believe is a good option as you can have it comfort or as sport as you want to go. However I had a loan 20 reg GTS on 21” with air for about 12 weeks, and the lowered spring/ride height in my opinion was not for me, it was just too crashy maybe that has a lot to do with the local roads or not.
Some of the magazine roadtests (admittedly the less sporting ones Autocar / What Car) have made the same point about ride on the Gen 2 GTS
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

Hmm

Like I said, normal springs on 20s was fine. The only reason I am considering AIR is as I want 21s and people tend to say the two come together!

Interesting that you like the 21"/AIR combo on an S, but not on a GTS
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Elrao wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:00 pm
If you press the "information" button on the configurator for the GTS (MY21) you will see that the two USB "C" sockets in the rear are replaced by an ashtray.

In answer to a question you raised about PASM, the setting is retained even when the ignition is switched off (as is the height setting on air suspension). I don't know about "sport". It's quite possible it is cancelled in order to comply with the claimed WLTP fuel consumption.

The springs in a GTS are shorter but I don't know if the spring rate changes. If PASM is fitted then most of the work is done by the adaptive damper. I managed to drive 12 miles with a broken spring and couldn't feel any difference.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel