Wanted - Facelifted 2.0T Macan

Classifieds section for all Macan Owners.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

thewanted wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:04 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:03 am Why is a speed limiter a 'must have'? Are you saying you can't drive? Is it because you already have some fast driving awards? Or is it so you can do other things while not paying attention to controlling the car?

Setting the cruise control can be helpful in maintaining speed, including going downhill.
Your aggressive approach and judgemental nature don't warrant a reply. Please don't trash my advert.
Ooops, seem to have hit a raw nerve there. It certainly wasn't intended to be aggressive or judgemental, and I can't see how it could be taken as trashing your advert. I think it's a fair question to ask why a speed limiter is a 'must have', which to me means no car is acceptable without one.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

thewanted

Post by thewanted »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:46 pm
thewanted wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:04 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:03 am Why is a speed limiter a 'must have'? Are you saying you can't drive? Is it because you already have some fast driving awards? Or is it so you can do other things while not paying attention to controlling the car?

Setting the cruise control can be helpful in maintaining speed, including going downhill.
Your aggressive approach and judgemental nature don't warrant a reply. Please don't trash my advert.
Ooops, seem to have hit a raw nerve there. It certainly wasn't intended to be aggressive or judgemental, and I can't see how it could be taken as trashing your advert. I think it's a fair question to ask why a speed limiter is a 'must have', which to me means no car is acceptable without one.

You accused me of driving too fast, that I can't drive, and that I don't pay attention while I drive. If you don't understand why I consider your response to be negative, then there's very little I can do to educate you.

I owned a Model 3 that doesn't have a speed limiter after owning many cars that have, thus I am now well aware of how useful it is in certain situations like 20mph zones, school zones, average speed sections etc. Adaptive cruise control is a rare feature which I am not that fussed about having, and a speed limiter would work well for me in lieu of it.
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

I see no concern with a buyer deciding that a safety function is a "must have".

I regard Lane Change Assist a "must have" feature but it doesn't mean I don't use my mirrors or look over my shoulder. ACC was a must have, but it doesn't mean I can't drive to a constant speed, nor does it mean I like to take my feet away from the pedals.

If you've ever driven with a heads-up display, you might also think that was an essential feature. It works well and, like a speed limiter, allows drivers to spend more time looking ahead and less time looking down at the instrument display.

Why ask why a safety feature is deemed essential but not question Bose? One has far more value to other road users than the other, there is no problem here.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Looks people are getting tetchy too quickly again

I barely use Cruise control, hate it, makes me think I don’t need to concentrate as much - on my old AMG E class it meant it was far too easy to eat my sandwich and reply to emails whilst driving around the m25 as it had one of the best systems which adjusted the speed to the speed shown, steered with in the lines etc. If you used the I indicator (i said it was a merc not a bmw) it would move lanes for you too)

I thoughT the basic Porsche ones held the speed regardless of up or down hill ie would ‘guarantee the set speed.

Pretty sure it was standard on our gen 2 car too.
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

would not be without CC, unlike ACC which i think is dangerous, only used once in fact on a Porsche day at Silverstone ranged day in a Panamera.

following another car on duel carriageway with ACC set, the car in front decided to pull over and turn left leaving my car accelerating up to speed limit, fine but we were coming into a roundabout, glad the brakes worked as Porsche say.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Tracky wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:38 pm
I thoughT the basic Porsche ones held the speed regardless of up or down hill ie would ‘guarantee the set speed.

The speed limiter on my SD did not hold the speed on downhill gradients which is why I posted my comment earlier. I've got ACC on my GTS because of all of the emergency braking features that come with it. Sometime, I must take the GTS to the same stretch of road where the SD oversped and see if it's any better at holding the speed. It's a country road in Staffordshire with a 50mph limit controlled by average speed cameras. Just occasionally you see another car so you have to wonder what the great threat is to justify AS cameras.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

On-Track wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:15 pm
Tracky wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:38 pm

The speed limiter on my SD did not hold the speed on downhill gradients which is why I posted my comment earlier. I've got ACC on my GTS because of all of the emergency braking features that come with it. Sometime, I must take the GTS to the same stretch of road where the SD oversped and see if it's any better at holding the speed. It's a country road in Staffordshire with a 50mph limit controlled by average speed cameras. Just occasionally you see another car so you have to wonder what the great threat is to justify AS cameras.
Never seen my ACC go above the set speed and I use it on most journeys.
---

jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

gasgas1 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:10 pm would not be without CC, unlike ACC which i think is dangerous, only used once in fact on a Porsche day at Silverstone ranged day in a Panamera.

following another car on duel carriageway with ACC set, the car in front decided to pull over and turn left leaving my car accelerating up to speed limit, fine but we were coming into a roundabout, glad the brakes worked as Porsche say.
It was just doing what it was told to do, but easy to be caught out for sure. It's not flawless, but neither are the humans between the seat and the wheel. I wouldn't be without ACC.
---

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I’m sure ACC will hold exact speed that is the idea of idea of it

My old RS4 did together with the afformentioned AMG. In fact we have ACC on our Seat and it was included in the standard spec which always makes me laugh that Porsche charge for it and I get it for free on another vw group car !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Paul

Post by Paul »

ACC and cruise will hold the set speed (ACC obviously varies the speed up to the max dependant on trafic directly in front) They will both brake downhill as appropriate.
Speed limiter just prevents you from driving over a set speed (and can be over-ridded with a sharp push)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465