Base, basic Macan

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Ok folks, I know this question is going to be akin to scratching your nails down a sheet of glass to some extra junkies here but lets hear your opinion. I am in the process of looking for a replacement for my wife's Audi TT. A new car I might add. With a number of grandchildren appearing in the last year or so she wants an SUV to make getting them in the back easier. With this in mind I started to look at a Q3 either normal or possibly sportback. Now I find myself in a rather odd position that by going 2L and a nice spec i have ended up with a Q3 costing in the late 40K region. This got me thinking with a basic Macan at 48k or so would I be better buy one of those. So the question is Base Macan with only metallic paint or well specked Q3 ?
Last edited by Rab J on Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Macan and its roomier than the Q3. It will hold its value better too.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Rhys2004

Post by Rhys2004 »

My first Macan was reasonably basic.White,sunroof,19wheels,reversing camera and heated seats,plus a few cheaply bits.I have just part exchanged it for a much higher spec one that is being built today.When I sold it I lost very little money as many of the options are worth very little money when you change.I know I will lose money next time around with the extras I have ordered.It is a beautiful car .I have had many Audi’s in the past and there is no comparison with the Macan.

Post by 0000 »

Basic spec is cloth seat middles. Might not be so practical with kids. Leather seats are another £1k.

If you're open to used, there are Gen 2 2 litres out there for under £50k now, even from OPC, with good specs.
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Rab J wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:46 am Ok folks, I know this question is going to be akin to scratching your nails down a sheet of glass to some extra junkies here but lets here your opinion. I am in the process of looking for a replacement for my wife's Audi TT. A new car I might add. With a number of grandchildren appearing in the last year or so she wants an SUV to make getting them in the back easier. With this in mind I started to look at a Q3 either normal or possibly sportback. Now I find myself in a rather odd position that by going 2L and a nice spec i have ended up with a Q3 costing in the late 40K region. This got me thinking with a basic Macan at 48k or so would I be better buy one of those. So the question is Base Macan with only metallic paint or well specked Q3 ?
I'm guessing that subliminally you knew what the answer was before coming on the Macan Forum to ask Macan owners if you should buy a Macan ;)

On that basis stop messing around and get it bought. Oh, and you do know you could get an S with better spec for just a few £'000 more 8-)
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

If the Q3’s list price as over £40k you will get socked for a lot of extra tax. Much better to keep the options down below that level or consider a switch to its Seat Ateca sister. If you’re prepared to pay the tax I would have thought there should be decent discounts available on an Audi which is where shopping around comes in. That will get you to a more accurate starting point for comparing the cost with a Macan. Another factor is that a highly spec’d Q3 will depreciate a lot whereas the Macan won’t but the initial Audi discount should compensate. If you can’t get a big discount then a Macan is much better value. I bought a lightly optioned S and am very pleased with it but having said this I simply would not consider a 4-cylinder myself. The V6 is special every time I drive it. That doesn’t help you, I realise.

If you’re keeping the options down I would at least recommend the all-round camera, air suspension and spare wheel.

Lastly I'll add my usual plug of considering a BMW i3 (electric) which has a high seating position and is a lot of fun although the ride quality is poor. It makes a great local run-around car and can be optioned below £40k list. The i3S has amazingly responsive performance.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)
Rhys2004

Post by Rhys2004 »

I would never consider a 6 litre.At nearly 80 I have a Porsche for the quality and badge, and I am not interested in the speed, acceleration any more.My new spec doesn't include a spare wheel.At eighty if I get a puncture I will call out the assistance teams who will have a spare wheel to fit to get me to the garage.Same reason I don't spec extra lighting functions or dimming mirrors etc.At my age I never drive at night!!!!!!!!
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Rab J wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:46 am Ok folks, I know this question is going to be akin to scratching your nails down a sheet of glass to some extra junkies here but lets here your opinion. I am in the process of looking for a replacement for my wife's Audi TT. A new car I might add. With a number of grandchildren appearing in the last year or so she wants an SUV to make getting them in the back easier. With this in mind I started to look at a Q3 either normal or possibly sportback. Now I find myself in a rather odd position that by going 2L and a nice spec i have ended up with a Q3 costing in the late 40K region. This got me thinking with a basic Macan at 48k or so would I be better buy one of those. So the question is Base Macan with only metallic paint or well specked Q3 ?
I’d go for the Macan but could be a bit biased!

If you could stretch the budget, some low cost options I’d suggest considering would be:

Power Steering Plus
Heated Steering Wheel
Spare Wheel
75l tank
Comfort Lighting
Reversing Camera
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
GWL

Post by GWL »

I would definitely choose reversing camera and power steering plus before metallic paint.
I don’t think you need air suspension - especially if you’re on a tight budget. My Turbo is on 21 inch wheels with PASM and is comfortable enough.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Of course, there is always the option of letting her use a Cayenne E Hybrid Coupe when she's carrying the grandchildren :twisted: :twisted:

There are any number of "SUVs" for less than £40K (from VW, Kia, Hyundai and Seat) that would be ideal if the real objective is a child carrier. Presumably you let your wife drive your Macan GTS when you had it so you could let her make the choice as to whether a Macan is what she wants. Mind you if you do that you might have another GTS in your family :lol: :lol:
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel