Thoughts on This Used Macan Please

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
andywebber

Post by andywebber »

Hi There All - I still seem to have an itch that I need to scratch with regards to getting a Macan - just a base model 2 litre will do me fine I think!

I had sort of decided to keep my current car and put the money towards another property but that Macan itch seems to have some back over December / the New Year for some reason!

I am still very uninformed with regards to Macans and I know that spec is everything for future resale but I will probably end up keeping the car for many many years (I tend to only change cars every 10 years)!

Would you more informed guys please give me your opinion on the following car that I have seen at Saxton's in Chelmsford:-

https://www.saxton4x4.co.uk/used-car-de ... 286012812/

I think that standard trim is half leather on the 2017 models - is that correct? I would like leather dash as well but I think that I will have to go over £40K for
that?

With regards to other spec's I think that it does not have a lot but does have reversing camera and front and rear PDC (maybe front and rear PDC is standard?)

Looking at the official approved Porsche used car website there are not many cars available below £40K if I want to go for a 2017 car!

If I purchase from outside the Porsche dealer network, and I correct in thinking that I can go to a Porsche Dealer and pay for the 11 point check and then purchase a 2 year warranty.

I am not sure what warranty Saxton's put on the car, probably only 6 months?

Any other pointers would be much appreciated

Thanks
Andrew

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Similarly priced to other petrol cars same age/mileage on Autotrader

Yes you can buy the extended warranty after a 111 point check. I believe the check is free if it coincides with a service.

Servicing is stupidly expensive at a Porsche dealer but their warranty I understand is very thorough. I have it but not needed to use it (yet)

The RAC warranty (offered by Saxtons) gets TERRIBLE reviews. Have a look at this: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/thewarrantygroup.com

I had a test drive in a Taycan a few months back. I was following the salesman in a 2.0L Macan and I was shocked how quick it was!

Just do it!
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

What headlights does it have? Standard halogens get very poor reviews.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I bought a 2015 Macan S Diesel with almost every option bar PASM from Porsche dealership in August. Full dealership service history, 1 owner and 44,000 miles. I bought the car (2 year warranty included) for £30,000.

Unless i managed to get a bargain, that 2litre petrol with few options seems expensive? Albeit 2 years younger and half the mileage.

Perhaps irrelevant information given your post but i thought it would offer some sort of comparison.

Best of luck. They are great cars!
2015 Macan SD - Carrara White
Pan Roof, PDLS, Sport Design Kit with rear mid section painted, 20inch RS Spyders, PCM/Nav, ACC, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, Black Sports Tailpipes etc
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

You're right that the car is a fairly basic spec. Mind you, partial leather is an option on MY21 cars so I very much doubt it was standard in 2017.

From the picture, it looks as if it might have Bi-xenon headlights but the description of the static range adjustment (it's automatic with Bi-xenon) implies they might be halogen lights. Unless you don't intend driving in the dark, these should be avoided.

I think you're right about the Porsche warranty but it's worth a phone call to your nearest Porsche OPC to check.

There are better cars out there. Just looking at the Porsche used car locator with an upper limit of £40k shows seven cars on the UK mainland.

Good hunting.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
andywebber

Post by andywebber »

Great thanks for the quick replies guys - it is much appreciated.

I think that the headlights are standard halogens unfortunately!

Blimey those Trustpilot reviews do not inspire confidence do they!?

That sounds like a good deal PaulB - thanks for the information.

I have not looked on Autotrader yet - I thought that I would initially stick to the bigger dealers / Porsche dealer network with my limited knowledge.
What is the general opinion - buy from the dealer network for peace of mind and if the car has the absolute spec that you want even if you are paying a higher price?

Thanks on-track - I will check the Porsche website again

I believe that the Audi Q5 is based on the same chassis / engine? I had a quick look at one yesterday (did not drive it) but it just did not look anywhere near as nice as the Macan!! (That is probably an obvious and stupid thing to say!?)

Thanks Again Guys - I am learning lots

Andrew
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

andywebber wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:34 pm

I believe that the Audi Q5 is based on the same chassis / engine? I had a quick look at one yesterday (did not drive it) but it just did not look anywhere near as nice as the Macan!! (That is probably an obvious and stupid thing to say!?)

Andrew
The Macan was developed using the Audi Q5 platform but if you read the reviews you'll find that Porsche created an entirely different car.

The 2L engine in the Macan is actually the VW 2L engine. The only Porsche engine in the Macan was the Gen 1 3L. All the 2.9L and current 3l are Audi engines but that doesn't make them bad.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

andywebber wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:34 pm Great thanks for the quick replies guys - it is much appreciated.

I think that the headlights are standard halogens unfortunately!

Blimey those Trustpilot reviews do not inspire confidence do they!?

That sounds like a good deal PaulB - thanks for the information.

I have not looked on Autotrader yet - I thought that I would initially stick to the bigger dealers / Porsche dealer network with my limited knowledge.
What is the general opinion - buy from the dealer network for peace of mind and if the car has the absolute spec that you want even if you are paying a higher price?

Thanks on-track - I will check the Porsche website again

Andrew
Buying from a Porsche dealer means you'll get 2 years warranty included that is worth considering. If you buy a car under 3 years old it will be covered by the manufacturers warranty. I did and had exhaust tips, wheel centres, and a loose mirror replaced under warranty. All cosmetic parts but £1000 plus to fix

No comparison with the Q5 including when it comes to servicing costs!
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

On-Track wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:58 pm
andywebber wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:34 pm

Andrew
The Macan was developed using the Audi Q5 platform but if you read the reviews you'll find that Porsche created an entirely different car.

The 2L engine in the Macan is actually the VW 2L engine. The only Porsche engine in the Macan was the Gen 1 3L.
And the 3.6L in the Turbo :D
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

I had the standard halogens on the S I rejected. It was just awful driving at night. I cannot understand why they were so bad, other halogen cars I have driven didn't seem anywhere near as poor albeit nowhere near as good as Xenons.
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White