718 Cayman S

The place to discuss everything else..
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Hi

The turbo engine gives you the low down performance, which base and S both have compared to the 6 cylinder NA 4.0, so the turbo sounds like what you are looking for.

The 2.5l S has a twin scroll turbo, the 2l a single. I have not driven an S, but my understanding is the power lives above 5k. Many posts on the 718 forum attest to this.

I like the low down pull, which is strong in the 2 to 5k and then power takes over beyond, this is where the S will show the extra power, but you will need be beyond motorway speeds in 3rd to hit those revs, particularly in the 6 speed vs the 7 speed pdk we have.

Centre console is a little dated compared to the new Macan, but pretty good for a sports car.

Add 64l tank and we would Upgrade the interior trim to carbon or aluminium , as standard looks a little cheap - the only thing really.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)

gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Pivot wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:25 pm Hey @GTIPirelli,
My test drive got cancelled, stock sold, so few questions:

1. I read that 2.0L (base) and 2.5L (S) performance differs mostly at +5000 RPM. Is that true? I like to ride 2000-4000 RPM and this is why I selected S with larger engine.
2. I read that 2.5 S is more drivable than GTS 4.0. Have you driven all three to compare?
I like the idea of 4.0 GTS but the extra power is once again at high RPM, and it comes with lower ground clearance again
3. What is your view on the centre console, is it as bad as journo say? Or did you get used to it?
Hi Pivot

1. Some good friends of mine have 2.0 caymans and boxsters and on our roads day to day and on spirited drives there is literally no difference in performance. A a drag strip the 2.5 will be quicker in a straight line but not by much. It really does come down to the driver and knowledge of the roads
2. I have not driven the 4.0 but the same friends above tested a 718 GTS 2.5 versus a new 4.0 in a drag race and the 4.0 only pulled a small gap at silly speeds. They did say the the sound of the 4.0 was amazing
3. Sorry not sure what you mean here. I love the combination of touch screen for navigation, music and phone and physical buttons for the other stuff. I think you can opt for the standard 10mm drop over steel springs rather than the 20mm drop that comes as std on the new GTS. I have no issues with PASM on my S over speed humps etc.

Hope that helps
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Thanks a stack, very good insights. I am looking forward to a test-drive.
I love the sound of flat-6, but I know that I cannot take advantage of the 4.0 motor and the ground clearance remains an issue for me.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Hello Pivot, last February we swapped our 718 Cayman 2.5 GTS for the new 718 Cayman GTS 4.0, both cars with manual gearbox.

With regards to the ride height, you can get the GTS 4.0 with the optional "option no. 475 - Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) with ride height lowered by 10 mm" (which in fact means that it is 10 mm higher than the standard GTS 4.0 sports PASM (whereas on the 718 2.5 l turbo, you had to spec the lower 20 mm sports PASM as an option).

The 4.0 l engine pulls very well even from low revs, it's very smooth and linear.

They are both great little cars for driving enjoyment with great chassis.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

I've recently sold my base 2.0 Boxster as the offers I was getting for it were too irresistible. In terms of performance it was quite brilliant apart from an initial hesitancy when pulling away. lots of low down grunt was always there for the asking and very little noticeable lag. I've not driven a 2.5 but I suspect it'll be a similar proposition as others have said.

As far as spec goes the only must have item I would add if you are intending driving it at night would be the auto dim rear view mirror. It seems that every SUV and 4X4 have their headlights at exactly the same hight as the Cayster's mirror and it gets very annoying have to constantly flick it manually to avoid being blinded every time one is behind you.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Thanks @Semerka, I will be driving the GTS in a weeks time. I do enjoy torque at lower rpm, so larger engine should theoretically have a good fit.
I also looked at GT4, but these are only available for clients with a secret handshake and funny walk.

@Miopyk, very good point. My pet-hate is driving behind a load box of a pickup truck. IMO agricultural vehicles should not be allowed on national roads.
SUV lights in a mirror would be equally annoying.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

GT4 is quite hard-core for every day driving, and low ride.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
happy days

Post by happy days »

No matter which one you choose, it will be an excellent car. Mine is 4.5 years old and I have no desire to change Still turns heads.

I too would ditch the Bose and include auto wipers, dimming mirrors and foldable exterior mirrors.
Macan S D
718 S
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Today, I took GTS 4.0 manual shift for a 3-hr ride with my wife… what a machine!
The performance was breath-taking, great throttle response, minimal lag… and what a sound track! Four hours later, I still have a grin on my face.
Also, the GTS 4.0 has cleared both streams on each side of my house, so I should be fine in rainy season with at least one of them.

I absolutely loved the stick-shift, but my wife didn’t, as a passenger, it was hard on her neck.
The close-gear ratio is soooo cool, but I am not entirely convinced that I would want to live with it for the next 3-5-10 years.

So, before I commit to the final spec, I must take PDK for a ride.

Also, thanks ALL for your insights. The BOSE sound is a waste of ‘option resources’, the dimming mirrors are a must, so is dual-control auto-temp-control. I must do new spec!
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I bet it will be a gem with pdk too
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S