New gen Macan

All your ordering information here!
Deleted User 4439

Post by Deleted User 4439 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:05 pm Not blowing trumpets for anything, just stating the facts. Thatcham seem to agree with me when they gave Porsche a Superior rating for security. I’ve never heard of a relay attack after following someone into a car park. Once the car is locked and and the driver walks a short distance away relay attacks are not possible.

Hopefully this improves your limited understanding of car security.
Perhaps you should get a better understanding of how Porsche's keyless entry system works. Yes Thatcham give it a good rating but they also give Mercedes a superior rating. The Porsche system works in the same way as the Merc one. The key turns its self off after a period of time with no motion... i.e on a table top. As soon as you move it is activated again. If you are walking along with a key in your pocket then the key IS STILL ON. Any key emitting a signal CAN be hacked its that simple. Likewise if someone waits for you outside your house when you arrive home then the key will be active and they can relay attack.

If you think criminals don't follow people and study their movements then you are a very, very naive individual and you kind of deserve to get your car relay attacked.

I would suggest you actually do some research into car security as you just look a bit silly. Next you will be telling me that the WHO are an efficient, unbureaucratic organisation because you read it on the internet.

So as I was saying a physical key is safer.

pmg

Post by pmg »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:05 pm I’ve never heard of a relay attack after following someone into a car park. Once the car is locked and and the driver walks a short distance away relay attacks are not possible.
Prospective thiefs were known to wait with a scanning device in a local commuter station car park waiting for cars to arrive?.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Well that escalated quickly ….

Ps nobody would want to steal a merc !!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

i know, right ? ( btw, I had a friend with a Merc and it was stolen in exactly this way )
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I've noticed Nick go a bit nuclear before but without the ensuing chain reaction! I put it down to the heat, this damned heat! 😆 All good, well meant fun, I'm sure 😁
Btw give me a key any day, it was only my "required" list.... retreats quickly....
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Neil1911 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:43 pm I've noticed Nick go a bit nuclear before but without the ensuing chain reaction! I put it down to the heat, this damned heat! 😆 All good, well meant fun, I'm sure 😁
Btw give me a key any day, it was only my "required" list.... retreats quickly....
Yes Neil, I expect you're right, we're not used to this heat in this country. And yes, me too! At least I can guarantee none of our cars will suffer relay attacks. Keyless entry was one of those extras the manufacturers introduced that no-one really 'needs'.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:32 pm i know, right ? ( btw, I had a friend with a Merc and it was stolen in exactly this way )
Maybe I’ve been lucky or live in an ok having owned some thief’s favourites with keyless

Anyway

Pics of new Macan on autocar website

I’m going to sound like one of those annoying previous model owners when I say I don’t like the nee rear defuser and whilst the buttons inside look nice in the pics they won’t in time , need a firmer push.

I prefer the gen2….
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Deleted User 4436

i actually prefer the new rear defuser but would have preferred to keep actual buttons. in the pictures the digital centre console looks a bit cheap. Not having the configurator available is infuriating though 🤯
pmg

Post by pmg »

I don't like the front, the large amount of black means it looks far less like a member of the Porsche family and a 911, with the GTS being worse than the S.

Never liked non body colour side blades, but the new standard black ones with moulding look even cheaper
Last edited by pmg on Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 4436

The front looks a bit like the VW Up, unfortunately

The good news, however, is the £4k uplift has mostly been offset by the increased standard features plus some items seem to be a little cheaper.