Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Top gear are a bit more positive….

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/porsche/macan

Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Tracky wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:23 pm
pmg wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:47 am
Tracky wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:06 am So they don’t like it
They seem to like torque vectoring which a lot on here say is a waste of time!! Certainly, they are not keen on interior and make the point others now equal the performance which was probably not true when the original Turbo PP came out. However, they give it 4.5 out of 5 probably because cars like BMW X4M do not ride or handle anything like half as well.
Well I bet 90% of Macan drivers wouldn’t know if they had ptv or not

I’ve never felt the need for it on the road and I driver ours hard
From the research I did before ordering ours, it's pretty pointless on a 4wd car.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
pmg

Post by pmg »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:37 pm Top gear are a bit more positive….

This review is very messy. Although dated 3182021, they still talk about the turbo as if it still exists and details are of Gen 2 in some places. Basically, they have half or quarter updated an existing review.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 4436

pmg wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:10 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:37 pm Top gear are a bit more positive….

This review is very messy. Although dated 3182021, they still talk about the turbo as if it still exists and details are of Gen 2 in some places. Basically, they have half or quarter updated an existing review.
yep,I thought it was an old review with a couple of bits added too, not unlike the Macan itself
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:33 pm I will say all the reviews I have seen so far seem to be saying the same thing. The base Macan is a little underwhelming, the GTS is a bit OTT and the S is the sweet spot. They have also said hardly anything has change apart from a dubious front grill and plastic buttons nobody likes. They also say its too small in the back and doesn’t compete with cheaper cars on boot space or standard features.

Most of them then go on to say the Macan is still the best handling and most absorbing SUV on the market and none of its competitors even come close as a true “Sports” utility vehicle.

So in short, grumble grumble grumble, its excellent, grumble.

For me the fact that its a bit smaller than other SUV’s on the market is a major selling point. I don’t want to drive a bus. The fact that it hasn’t changed a great deal from the Gen 2 macan is, well, standard Porsche behaviour. The 911 still fundamentally looks like a beetle. And if you asked me to guess the age of any 911 over the last 20 years I frankly wouldn’t have a clue, because they are all pretty much identical, and yet people still keep buying them ( in droves ), I wonder why that is?
Dubious front grill...it's horrible, particularly on lighter colour. Only my opinion though.
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White
pmg

Post by pmg »

Rarecolour wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:04 pm
Tracky wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:23 pm
pmg wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:47 am

They seem to like torque vectoring which a lot on here say is a waste of time!! Certainly, they are not keen on interior and make the point others now equal the performance which was probably not true when the original Turbo PP came out. However, they give it 4.5 out of 5 probably because cars like BMW X4M do not ride or handle anything like half as well.
Well I bet 90% of Macan drivers wouldn’t know if they had ptv or not

I’ve never felt the need for it on the road and I driver ours hard
From the research I did before ordering ours, it's pretty pointless on a 4wd car.
Maybe how worthwhile on a 4WD depends on the front-rear split and how it is controlled
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:33 am
sd1985 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:20 am
Tracky wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:06 am So they don’t like it
Quite the opposite
Not how I read it. They say there are faster and cheaper options and its felling its age and the haptic buttons aren’t great. Not saying I agree with them but I would say that review was damning with faint praise
It’s not all about speed though. The Mercedes and bmw equivalents they keep talking about are cheaper and it tells. The ride comfort on those and the handling are no comparison - coming from experience having driven both.

Buttons - some will like and others won’t. Price is price… you always pay more to drive a Porsche, that’s life and nothing about how good the car is.

Apart from the haptic buttons being a hit/miss I only heard positives.
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

JurassicGTS wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:28 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:33 pm I will say all the reviews I have seen so far seem to be saying the same thing. The base Macan is a little underwhelming, the GTS is a bit OTT and the S is the sweet spot. They have also said hardly anything has change apart from a dubious front grill and plastic buttons nobody likes. They also say its too small in the back and doesn’t compete with cheaper cars on boot space or standard features.

Most of them then go on to say the Macan is still the best handling and most absorbing SUV on the market and none of its competitors even come close as a true “Sports” utility vehicle.

So in short, grumble grumble grumble, its excellent, grumble.

For me the fact that its a bit smaller than other SUV’s on the market is a major selling point. I don’t want to drive a bus. The fact that it hasn’t changed a great deal from the Gen 2 macan is, well, standard Porsche behaviour. The 911 still fundamentally looks like a beetle. And if you asked me to guess the age of any 911 over the last 20 years I frankly wouldn’t have a clue, because they are all pretty much identical, and yet people still keep buying them ( in droves ), I wonder why that is?
Dubious front grill...it's horrible, particularly on lighter colour. Only my opinion though.
At least it didn’t inherit terrible ‘beaver teeth’ like the latest BMW’s :lol:
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018
Deleted User 4436

ignore the ad at the beginning

if you have ordered a GTS this will make you very happy.

sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:03 pm ignore the ad at the beginning

if you have ordered a GTS this will make you very happy.

Think the reviews in general are very predictable, could have easily guessed all of it.

Excellent drive, handling and very fast. Haptic buttons are on the fence and interior is a nice and expensive feeling but dated. It’s expensive as well. These are all things we all knew - nothing surprising at all. Same was said with the gen 2.

Main thing for me is that it’s still mega fun to drive and desirable. So it’s a predictable pass.