E10 fuel

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
GTB

Post by GTB »

Hi SAC1,

Without wanting to fall out with any of my clients! I would only ever consider two retailers and premium fuels and thats bp Ultimate as my first choice, then Shell Optimax. In all my 40 years working in the filling station arena I nor my family never ever by fuel from a supermarket retailer, so take from that what you will.

bp and Shell have what they call COCO sites in other words company owned and operated, so my preference would always be to buy your premium fuel from one of those stations simply becuase of the good "Housekeeping" regarding their fuel infrastructure. Now both those companies also have dealer operators and they also sell fuel to private filling station owners/operators (DODO's) No they are not extinct just a dealer owned dealer operated site that has an agreement to sell bp or Shell fuel and in return they will brand the filling station so out of the approx 1200 bp sites across the UK just short of 300 are only COCO sites.

Where things tend to go wrong and motorists have issues and something we all need to remember is the EN Standard for both regular and super unleaded fuel across Europe and in the UK has pretty tight tolerances of the make up of that fuel, even the unique additives each fuel retailer uses has pretty tight standards to follow. So why does it all go wrong?? and we hear of garages with poor reputations or motorists saying their car runs on one retailers fuel better than others, is basically down to good housekeeping on site, particularly dealing with water content for those that use Diesel fuels. So in some ways the filling stations mostly get a good "Fillet" steak delivered to site, just that some have perfect sterile and hygenic operations and maintenance on their fridges to keep it in, others just throw it in the firdge they have always had and hey ho it works, and for some out there they cant even be bothered putting the steak in the fridge and leave it out on the worktop!! so the question is which of these restaurants would you want a steak in?
So back to our cars, where would you rather get your fuel from?

Cheers GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Thanks for your reply Gareth.

I use Shell V-power in my GTS from a fairly new site that also houses a Budgens supermarket and a Greggs. Don't know ouf it's COCO or DODO, but a big investment if a privateer.

Several on our Forum members are now using Esso as the best premium petrol. I note you do not mention Esso.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

By Optimax, do you mean V Power currently Gareth?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Seems petrol and real ale have a huge amount in common and that includes the tax burden! Yes, knowing who owns what seems to be the trick..
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
GTB

Post by GTB »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:00 pm By Optimax, do you mean V Power currently Gareth?
Yes Nick,

My Fault V Power in the UK, as they still have Optimax in some regions of the world.

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

SAC1 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:54 pm Thanks for your reply Gareth.

I use Shell V-power in my GTS from a fairly new site that also houses a Budgens supermarket and a Greggs. Don't know ouf it's COCO or DODO, but a big investment if a privateer.

Several on our Forum members are now using Esso as the best premium petrol. I note you do not mention Esso.
It's also down to availability. My nearest Shell station is a 22 mile round trip away whereas I have an Esso station just 4 mile round trip. Fortunately, I live in a part of the country where Esso 98 RON is reported to be Ethanol free.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
pmg

Post by pmg »

On-Track wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:30 pm
SAC1 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:54 pm Thanks for your reply Gareth.

It's also down to availability. My nearest Shell station is a 22 mile round trip away whereas I have an Esso station just 4 mile round trip. Fortunately, I live in a part of the country where Esso 98 RON is reported to be Ethanol free.
Very true, as a regular visitor to Mid wales I do not think there is a Shell V power Station between Menai Bridge in the North and Crickhowell nearly in the South. There is an Esso near Dolgellau and a BP in the hills behind Aberystwyth, Other than that its Tesco Momentum 99 at Newtown, Portmadoc and Bangor
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
RAA

Post by RAA »

I thought the Esso Supreme Unleaded was 99 RON when I last filled up.
pmg

Post by pmg »

RAA wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:06 pm I thought the Esso Supreme Unleaded was 99 RON when I last filled up.
It is except in North wales, some other parts of the north and far South West (?) where still 97
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Nick the Greek

Post by Nick the Greek »

RAA wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:06 pm I thought the Esso Supreme Unleaded was 99 RON when I last filled up.
It is, along with Shell, and I believe Tesco. Personally a Shell man. Run all my cars and bikes on V Power.