Porsche slow to BEV Macan

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

GTB wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:05 pm
Rarecolour wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:44 pm I watched a "The Smoking Tyre" car review of a Hyundia (pretty sure it was a Hyundia) that was hydrogen, granted it was in USA, but he had a shocking time trying to get it filled up. You can't just follow a car that's just been filled up and get filled up yourself, the tank/bellow has to fill back up again, pretty sure you had to wait over 30 minutes before using the pump again.
Rarecolour,
If you are ever near Shell Cobham on the southside of the M25 go in and see the Hydrogen dispensers there. I was involved with the infrastructure and yes its a "Process" to fill a car as the tanks equal out and then fill also the thermal shock of the very cold temps involved anyway filling pressure is either 400 or 700Bar and then cycles down, but on there as one car leaves the next can start due to the larger vessel that acts as storage as there is a electroliser on site so Hydrogen produced on site and not delivered in a gas vessel.

Cheers GTB
That was another issue they had on the car review, they had to wait for hydrogen to be delivered and if I remember correctly it wasn't going to be any time soon.
Hydrogen being produced on site would definitely be the way forward.

I try and stay away from driving around London, Birmingham is bad enough!
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)

GTB

Post by GTB »

Morning All,
For those that may be interested here are some pics of the Hydrogen dispenser at Shell Cobham, you can see the dispenser that the public/ driver uses it very similar to the autogas dispensers. However a lot behind the scenes with the process equipment, substation for the energy needed to create Hydrogen from water and storage facilities, there are a few public facililities in the UK, but far more in western states of the USA and also Canada, a number in Scandanavian countries, Holland and of course Germany.

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

This is a really interesting watch for those considering going electric. Its in the US so certain elements will definitely be different in the UK, but interesting none the less especially if you drive lots of miles.

FYI, This guy is a fantastic YouTuber if you are into gadgets.
Deleted User 4436

Interesting article about Porsche synthetic fuel

https://apple.news/A8T5Cr3mHQa2V3zlhlCv3Og
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:25 pm Interesting article about Porsche synthetic fuel

Two things really stand out for me:
1) They have got the carbon element down to 10% and
2) 70% of all Porsches built are still in existence!! :o
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018
Deleted User 4436

F1 Nut wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:12 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:25 pm Interesting article about Porsche synthetic fuel

Two things really stand out for me:
1) They have got the carbon element down to 10% and
2) 70% of all Porsches built are still in existence!! :o
Yeah, I was surprised about point 2 too.
Joe390

Post by Joe390 »

If anyone’s read latest Autocar, someone from Porsche confirmed anyone who wants an ICE version of the Macan had best order “soon” as it’s likely to go off sale 2024. Guess the BEV will take precedence moving forward. Wonder what that will do to residual values for ICE Macan’s 🧐
sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

Joe390 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:03 pm If anyone’s read latest Autocar, someone from Porsche confirmed anyone who wants an ICE version of the Macan had best order “soon” as it’s likely to go off sale 2024. Guess the BEV will take precedence moving forward. Wonder what that will do to residual values for ICE Macan’s 🧐
Push them up higher IMO
Basic supply and demand
People will want ICE cars for many many years yet but they will be very HARD to get
Driving enthusiasts aren’t just going to disappear ina couple of years
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Wait till the price of fuel and road tax goes through the roof for ICE vehicles, they will try and stop us having fun some way!
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Deleted User 4436

Rarecolour wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:27 am Wait till the price of fuel and road tax goes through the roof for ICE vehicles, they will try and stop us having fun some way!
I tend to agree with this. My suspicion is that in about 15-20 years ( tops ) ICE cars will be pretty much worthless. Not only will nobody want them because they are socially unacceptable ( in the same way smoking indoors is now ) but the fuelling infrastructure will pretty much disappear.

I am a total petrolhead, as I suspect most of us here are. I also think the UK is in no way ready for EV’s yet and that the technology still has a fair way to go. BUT, like it or not, EV’s are here to stay and will end the ICE for good.

And for those that say you can’t be a driving enthusiast in a EV you’ve clearly not driven a Tesla Model 3 performance. The acceleration is totally intoxicating. There are very very few Porsches that will keep up with it, even in 911 territory. It also goes round corners pretty well. It just sounds like a milk float whilst it does it. Even that last part is easy to remedy. I assume you’ve all been on a Porsche forecourt and heard a Tycan warble past ? They definitely don’t sound like a milk float, more like something from the jetsons.

I believe Porsche intend to sell the ICE and EV Macan together for several years ( presumably to hedge their bets ) but I would be amazed if anyone in 3-5 years time would buy an ICE Macan over and EV one, and that will absolutely destroy your residuals.