E10 fuel

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
pmg

Post by pmg »

Neil1911 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:30 pm Seems it just depends where you live. Shell "involves a 12 mile round trip in a direction I rarely go" namely, into town, Esso is marginally better on the SW of Sheffield. As far as price goes that seems totally random! I have tried the info from Petrolprices.com and also Confused.com and found both to be unreliable. The data in the in car app seems to come from Petrolprices so isnt 100% trustworthy either, once took me to a Shell garage that didnt even have a pump for super unleaded!
Petrolprices.com used to be very good and then they stopped buying the data and have relied on users updating. This is unreliable and quite often some enter the same price for 95 and 97 to99 octane fuel making the service nigh on useless for the premium fuel buyer. I made the point on their app site about two weeks ago and that generated an email from their programmer. So I wait to see whether the service improves.

When it was working it was very useful as the Premium to 95 price gap does vary substantially even between stations of the same brand. Of the two big national garage chains, I find the gap tends to be less at those run by Eg group compared to those owned by MFG
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

^^^ 👍 Like
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Slightly off topic, but it is related to fuel; how do you open the fuel filler cap an a Macan? Does it just unlock with the doors then you push it to open and unscrew the cap or is there a separate button to open the filler flap? I've had cars that work either way and I am bound to forget to ask when I eventually pick the car up and add to my numptyness when I arrive at the first petrol station. Thanks
Rashg60

Post by Rashg60 »

There's a fuel button inside on the window switch control panel.
Own:
19 Porsche Macan 2.0
15 Audi RS3
15 Audi A1 1.4 TFSI
Ex:
19 Jag E-Pace R-Dynamic S
15 RR Evoque Dynamic
06 VW Golf GTI
05 Audi TT 3.2 V6
00 Audi TT 1.8T
91 VW Corrado G60
86 Pug 205 1.9 GTI
84 VW Golf GTI
Deleted User 4436

Rashg60 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:19 pm There's a fuel button inside on the window switch control panel.
Ta
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Not in my Gen 2 there isn't, it's the former, unlocks with the doors then you push the flap to open, quarter turn removes cap which will sit in the holder while you empty your wallet. Registered > £100 in one go last night, although the bill via Esso Card will be less. It was 147.9ppl but I was just happy to find some, took 69.9ltrs so the predicted range of 20 odd miles at that point was more accurate than I'd expect.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Deleted User 4436

Neil1911 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:23 pm ....., quarter turn removes cap which will sit in the holder while you empty your wallet......
:D Yeah, I'm going to have to get used to that again. Thanks.

BTW, I just Googled how to do it and there are page after page of reports of the Macan filler flap failing to open, so I wonder if they changed it in the Gen 2 release.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Only on my third tank but I'm thinking Esso may last longer than Shell, but it could just be the nature of the miles I've done, needs 1,000s to be a fair comparison.
GTB

Post by GTB »

Industry ey going thru a change of flux as motirists wonder what all this change from 95 Ron E5 to 95 Ron E10 and if their cars are compatible or not!

I have listed below the "Typical" tank configurations for an average fuel company owned site, this one is in Basildon:

Tank 1: 46,500Ltrs Standard Unleaded E10
Tank 2: 46,500Ltrs Standard Diesel B7
Tank 3: 46,500Ltrs Standard Unleaded E10
Tank 4: 23,200Ltrs Super Unleaded E5
Tank 5: 23,200Ltrs Standard Diesel B7

Fuel deliveries are monitored remotely and automatically, so tankers arrive "Just in Time" before tanks reach low level, but they also arrived on historic selling history, so could fill tanks before known busy days, weekends etc.

So over the last month with introducction of E10 it could be that those with older cars that cant take E10, or those that just dont want to take the risk are now filling up with the premium fuel just to stick with the E5 Max Ethanol content so putting pressure on the premium fuels and as you can see capacity is not as much as the other main fuels,

Those of you finding filling stations with no premium fuels could just be because of this and things will sort itself out as more premium fuel delivered to site, that said tanks can only hold so much.

What may happen on some filling stations and this all adds into the EV take up is if sales of standard unleaded and diesel drop, some filling station retailers might decide to increase capacity of premium inleded by say in example above changing Tank 5 to Super Unleaded now instead of Diesel or swap the contents of Tank 3 and Tank 4 so giving more super unleaded capicity and slightly less standard unleaded.

As I have mentioned before the BS and EN standards for fuels are pretty tight with little flexability, so if you ever pass a refinery, there are huge storage tanks filled up with unleaded and diesel, at the loading gantries the tankers will be in all kinds of filling operator colours and some unliveried units as well all filling up with fuel from the one big tank!! Its the additives that the oil companies and some supermarket retailers that are closely guarded secrets. Also some loading gantries have no facilities to add Ethanol, or limited to whose additves go in, so a lot depends on the geogrpahical area where you purchase your fuel from.

Its the housekeeping on site and how well a filling station operator looks after their underground storage tanks that can lead to issues for motorists.

Cheers GTB.
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

I only fill up at Esso and use the super. Lucky to have a forecourt within a mile of my house, and its really busy so plenty of fresh fuel.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)