Porsche Surface Coated Brake (PSCB)

All your ordering information here!
Deleted User 611

Post by Deleted User 611 »

Logic for the standard pad wearing faster with the PCSB disc was that using a relatively soft pad with a very hard disc would wear the pads faster. Porsche have changed the pads to match the disc.

Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

I'm convinced that the popularity of PCCB is largely for aesthetic reasons - the huge discs & calipers simply look fantastic. Every time I've talked to a dealer about them, the response is the same, they last almost indefinitely "unless they are damaged". At £6k they'll likely never make economic sense to me. But would I buy a 1 or 2 year old sensibly priced car with PCCB's - absolutely! Would I buy a 75,000 mile car with ceramics - not a chance, it's just an expensive liability and I suspect many PCCB equipped cars, when they reach these milages, will be priced accordingly.
As for PSCB, the jury is still out for me. I've a new GTS in the pipe line, so I'm looking forward to less brake dust on the wheels, but I would not have spec'd them if the option was available.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

They last longer, I was reliably informed by two OPC techs that significantly longer than standard set ups and that they woud both spec their cars with them.
And by the time you did need to change pads/discs there are so many other options for Porsche/VAG set ups you'll be spoilt for choice if you want to go away from tungsten.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Nelladrahcir wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:19 pm They last longer, I was reliably informed by two OPC techs that significantly longer than standard set ups and that they woud both spec their cars with them.
And by the time you did need to change pads/discs there are so many other options for Porsche/VAG set ups you'll be spoilt for choice if you want to go away from tungsten.
Like everything - depends on use. If you are a really heavy braker then they will still wear.

As somebody said above people like to have them for show

Many of my friends have had them on their track cars (GT3 RS / Performantes etc) and they have taken them off before going on track because you will still kill them on track
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
MH82

Post by MH82 »

Alfanut wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:25 am I'm convinced that the popularity of PCCB is largely for aesthetic reasons - the huge discs & calipers simply look fantastic. Every time I've talked to a dealer about them, the response is the same, they last almost indefinitely "unless they are damaged". At £6k they'll likely never make economic sense to me. But would I buy a 1 or 2 year old sensibly priced car with PCCB's - absolutely! Would I buy a 75,000 mile car with ceramics - not a chance, it's just an expensive liability and I suspect many PCCB equipped cars, when they reach these milages, will be priced accordingly.
As for PSCB, the jury is still out for me. I've a new GTS in the pipe line, so I'm looking forward to less brake dust on the wheels, but I would not have spec'd them if the option was available.
If it makes you feel any better, I sold our 911 at 50k miles and when measured the PCCB’s had zero wear and the pads (still first set) were only 10% worn.

I’d much rather pay the extra £3.5k for the upgrade on a GTS and know that I’d never have to worry and incur future cost.

Just my opinion….
2022 GTS order cancelled
2023 718 Spyder order cancelled
Gone rogue and bought an Aston Martin V12 Vantage S :shock:
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

MH82 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:49 pm
If it makes you feel any better, I sold our 911 at 50k miles and when measured the PCCB’s had zero wear and the pads (still first set) were only 10% worn.

I’d much rather pay the extra £3.5k for the upgrade on a GTS and know that I’d never have to worry and incur future cost.

Just my opinion….
Your wear over 50k miles is pretty much is in line with what OPC's have told me, for real world motoring they'll last indefinitely when not damaged. An amazing bit of kit really. I've just spec'd my 3rd Porsche, if I'd gone the ceramics route on all 3 it would have been in the region of £15k...... spending that sort of money to avoid the occasional £1,500 bill makes little sense (to me, but each to their own). However you do raise an interesting point, as the GTS already spec'd with the PSCB (which are also £££ to replace) it makes the PCCB's slightly less of an upfront cost. It will be interesting to see how many cars are spec'd with them.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
MH82

Post by MH82 »

Alfanut wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:19 pm
MH82 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:49 pm

Just my opinion….
Your wear over 50k miles is pretty much is in line with what OPC's have told me, for real world motoring they'll last indefinitely when not damaged. An amazing bit of kit really. I've just spec'd my 3rd Porsche, if I'd gone the ceramics route on all 3 it would have been in the region of £15k...... spending that sort of money to avoid the occasional £1,500 bill makes little sense (to me, but each to their own). However you do raise an interesting point, as the GTS already spec'd with the PSCB (which are also £££ to replace) it makes the PCCB's slightly less of an upfront cost. It will be interesting to see how many cars are spec'd with them.
And that’s my rationale, I see me keeping this car a while and so the extra is worth it to save the future big bills for PSCB replacement.
2022 GTS order cancelled
2023 718 Spyder order cancelled
Gone rogue and bought an Aston Martin V12 Vantage S :shock: