Will ICE Macans depreciate more

All your ordering information here!
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

It will be alot of years before the US move to EVs or countries like India. The U.K is one of the smallest nations and it’s impact is a pea in the ocean compared to those giants.

I have nothing against EVs at all except they are just nothing to me but a utility vehicle to move one from A to B, and their production and operation is currently very polluting, which is rarely mentioned as it doesn’t promote the green agenda. EVgate will come ;)
Macan S MY 2023

Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

Skyway wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:43 pm It will be alot of years before the US move to EVs or countries like India. The U.K is one of the smallest nations and it’s impact is a pea in the ocean compared to those giants.

I have nothing against EVs at all except they are just nothing to me but a utility vehicle to move one from A to B, and their production and operation is currently very polluting, which is rarely mentioned as it doesn’t promote the green agenda. EVgate will come ;)
Definitely agree on the US and India, but both of those places have a very large home grown car industry, which the UK does not. Like it or not most UK cars come from Europe. You are correct that we are pea sized but we aren’t driving car sales, change or legislation. That will come from Europe which definitely isn’t pea sized when it comes to car production. As the UK is “pea sized” we will have zero input into legislation and foreign car manufacturers wont make cars specifically for the UK market so we’ll get what we are given ( the speed limiter and the sound regulations being two obvious examples ). The EU will ultimately kill off ICE’s in Europe which means they will kill them in the UK. The Japanese market is also moving towards electric. Lets not forget EU legislation has just killed off the Skyline GTR globally because its where most of them were sold.

The US will continue to make large gas guzzlers, and sell 16 year olds assault rifles because that’s in their psyche. But EU companies wont make ICE cars and sell them in the US because the numbers wouldn’t make commercial sense.

There will be a tipping point where numbers of sales and legislation means making ICE cars isn’t commercially viable. Look at the massive investment VW/Audi and Mercedes are making in the EV market. I genuinely think that tipping point will be over the next decade or two. At that point petrol stations will become harder and harder to find as they are turned over to EV charging stations and that will totally destroy the ICE resale market.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I watched a report from a guy who’s regularly on YouTube. He was saying that a scientific adviser to the government, is stating that the poisonous particulates from tyres are far more dangerous than the emissions from ICE vehicles.
And went onto say that because of the extra weight of EV’s, this is having a damaging effect, on the environment, because of the extra wear of the tyres.
I wonder what will they say about people walking in shoes, with that having an effect, we should all be bare footed.
What will they think of next.
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

A scientist in search of a research grant will prove anything you want to pay for.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Deleted User 4752

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:30 am A scientist in search of a research grant will prove anything you want to pay for.
well said.👍

….Or a scientist being paid by a specific lobby group with a vested interest in proving their point. In this case I think we’re beyond trying to prove pro’s and cons of EV’s, its about commerce and legislation. We all know the ecological damage EV’s really do but nobody will care about that until they are the most common types of cars, then they will be a massive issue with them and calls to have them banned ( think diesel-gate ). But none of that matters for now unfortunately.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

To those of you with a magic crystal ball, I look forward to reading on Wednesday how you won the Euromillions Lottery. For the rest of us, who foresaw the effect of global shortages of semi-conductors or the effect of the war in Ukraine on energy prices.

At the moment, my nearly two year old Macan GTS is apparently worth more than I paid for it. I wish I could have forecast that a year ago as I would have ordered a replacement. Instead I will just hang on to it. What it will be worth when, or if, I decide to sell I will find out on the day.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

THHGTTG wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:48 am
Skyway wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:43 pm It will be alot of years before the US move to EVs or countries like India. The U.K is one of the smallest nations and it’s impact is a pea in the ocean compared to those giants.

Definitely agree on the US and India, but both of those places have a very large home grown car industry, which the UK does not. Like it or not most UK cars come from Europe. You are correct that we are pea sized but we aren’t driving car sales, change or legislation. That will come from Europe which definitely isn’t pea sized when it comes to car production. As the UK is “pea sized” we will have zero input into legislation and foreign car manufacturers wont make cars specifically for the UK market so we’ll get what we are given ( the speed limiter and the sound regulations being two obvious examples ). The EU will ultimately kill off ICE’s in Europe which means they will kill them in the UK. The Japanese market is also moving towards electric. Lets not forget EU legislation has just killed off the Skyline GTR globally because its where most of them were sold.

The US will continue to make large gas guzzlers, and sell 16 year olds assault rifles because that’s in their psyche. But EU companies wont make ICE cars and sell them in the US because the numbers wouldn’t make commercial sense.

There will be a tipping point where numbers of sales and legislation means making ICE cars isn’t commercially viable. Look at the massive investment VW/Audi and Mercedes are making in the EV market. I genuinely think that tipping point will be over the next decade or two. At that point petrol stations will become harder and harder to find as they are turned over to EV charging stations and that will totally destroy the ICE resale market.
Let’s not let preconceptions get in the way of data - India are only the 4th largest buyers of cars USA and China dominate new car sales globally. USA has arguably the most successful EV manufacturer in the world and China has a huge number of EV companies(their local brands never made a big dent on the global ICE market but they are at the cusp of EV innovation).

056E79DE-ABF8-4016-A850-CFD4F35F5ED3.jpeg

Deleted User 4752

BanZ wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:22 pm
THHGTTG wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:48 am

Let’s not let preconceptions get in the way of data - India are only the 4th largest buyers of cars USA and China dominate new car sales globally. USA has arguably the most successful EV manufacturer in the world and China has a huge number of EV companies(their local brands never made a big dent on the global ICE market but they are at the cusp of EV innovation).

056E79DE-ABF8-4016-A850-CFD4F35F5ED3.jpeg
The US may be the most successful manufacturer of EV but that’s not the same as the most successful purchaser of EV. Per capita they are a very low adopter of EV’s

49C3A316-CAC4-4C2F-95FB-2AEFE0712E97.jpeg

List of countries with the highest share of plug-in electric vehicles in new passenger car sales in 2020 ( so admittedly a little out of date ):

1. Norway (74.8%)
2. Iceland (45%)
3. Sweden (32.2%)
4. Netherlands (24.9%)
5. Finland (18.1%)
6. Denmark (16.4%)
7. Switzerland (14.3%)
8. Portugal (13.5%)
9. Germany (13.5%)
10. Luxembourg (11.4%)
11. France (11.3%)
12. Belgium (10.7%)
13. UK (10.7%)
14. Austria (9.5%)
15. Ireland (7.4%)
16. China (6.2%)
17. US (2.3%)
Meanwhile, in India, several state governments and automakers have come forward to boost electric vehicle culture in India.
According to the minister of state for heavy industries Krishan Pal Gurjar, a total of 1,590 electric vehicles (EVs) have been deployed in 160 central and state ministries and departments across 49 cities.
In fact, the government is reportedly considering slashing import duties on electric cars to as low as 40% from 60% presently.