Intelligent Speed Assistance

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
pmg

Post by pmg »

All of us who have speed limit display whether in Porsche or in other brands know that the camera can pick up spurious signs from time to time or miss signs due to foliage/ trucks blocking view etc.

Unless capability improves to 100% reliable display, which i doubt, there will always be the need for manual override.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

andreas

Post by andreas »

pmg wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:31 pm All of us who have speed limit display whether in Porsche or in other brands know that the camera can pick up spurious signs from time to time or miss signs due to foliage/ trucks blocking view etc.

Unless capability improves to 100% reliable display, which i doubt, there will always be the need for manual override.
I thought the system also used GPS to determine the current speed limit. I don't have speed limit display on my Macan, but the satnav always shows the current speed limit, based on the location. Of course, the signage recognition is needed for temporary speed limit areas, as well as places where speed limits have been reduced but the satnav data hasn't been updated.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
pmg

Post by pmg »

andreas wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:57 pm
pmg wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:31 pm All of us who have speed limit display whether in Porsche or in other brands know that the camera can pick up spurious signs from time to time or miss signs due to foliage/ trucks blocking view etc.

I thought the system also used GPS to determine the current speed limit. I don't have speed limit display on my Macan, but the satnav always shows the current speed limit, based on the location. Of course, the signage recognition is needed for temporary speed limit areas, as well as places where speed limits have been reduced but the satnav data hasn't been updated.
GPS does not work on the likes of smart motorways or for temporary speed limits in road works so the current systems use cameras with a fallback to GPS but the cameras usually overruling.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

REITSY wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:26 pm I've sent a request to my OPC to see if they know whether all cars leaving the factort are getting it installed but just not activated here in the UK as opposed to Europe. I'll let you know if they tell me anything. The article says in europe for older cars they will have to have it fitted retorspectively and activated within 2 years. I assume if we follow suit not only will it come here for new cars at some point but we'll all get it retro as well :(
Someone mentioned above they thought it would only affect new models like the EV but it won't it affects new cars so S, GTS etc. will get it from next week in Europe.
I think you’ve read a little bit too much into this. It’s been clear for several years the Europe was planning on introducing ISA on newly designed, first time to market cars in 2022. That excludes all Macans, possibly even the EV version, as the original design has been around since 2013. The 2024 date is for existing models, so including Macans, to have the technology fitted for new cars leaving the showroom. There has never been any suggestion that it would be mandatory to retrofit this tech to existing cars, an impossible task frankly.

Let’s hope people like Rees Mogg hold sway in the UK so that that this stupid interference system doesn’t get applied here.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Blimey, this forum can be hilarious!
Most of you guys dare not put a sticker in the window for fear of voiding your warranty, but when a bit of tech comes around to stop you actually breaking the law AND make you and others safer, it’s virtual panic ffs!!
Priceless 😂😂😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
REITSY

Post by REITSY »

Jon A wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:10 pm Blimey, this forum can be hilarious!
Most of you guys dare not put a sticker in the window for fear of voiding your warranty, but when a bit of tech comes around to stop you actually breaking the law AND make you and others safer, it’s virtual panic ffs!!
Priceless 😂😂😂
I'll just turn it off mate same time I also turn off the engine cut out feature. If it isn't coming to our current cars then great :)
How's the car BTW ... you all run in now? Saw a similar example to yours other day and if my 718 wasn't Guards Red I spec mine in Carmine
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

REITSY wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:33 pm
Priceless 😂😂😂
I'll just turn it off mate same time I also turn off the engine cut out feature. If it isn't coming to our current cars then great :)
How's the car BTW ... you all run in now? Saw a similar example to yours other day and if my 718 wasn't Guards Red I spec mine in Carmine
All good thanks REITSY and yes all run in now at 2.5k miles. Can’t really fault it to be honest, a few little foibles I really don’t like but that will be the same for any car.
Strangely, it’s some of the options that I thought were just “necessary” that make me smile most and some options I thought I would really like are a bit “so so”.
Still, all in all, really happy 👍
wilko

Post by wilko »

It’s really simple to defeat. Tape over the windscreen behind the mirror where the camera is.
I have innodrive on my cayenne, and any muck on the screen, or the radar sensor and it all switches off. When working, it changes the cars speed as speed limits change.
Wife’s mk8 golf has a similar system, which is defeated by a mucky screen or radar sensor, or loss of gps
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Priceless 😂😂😂
Not quite sure about the analogy here Jon, but in respect of this technology ‘making you and others safer’ I’d be interested to know what you base this on. Certainly the EU’s assertion that this will save X number of lives is pure fantasy. If they can predict that then why aren’t they winning the lottery every week?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:54 pm
Priceless 😂😂😂
Not quite sure about the analogy here Jon, but in respect of this technology ‘making you and others safer’ I’d be interested to know what you base this on. Certainly the EU’s assertion that this will save X number of lives is pure fantasy. If they can predict that then why aren’t they winning the lottery every week?
Good point Nick, just being a little mischievous 😏
I think what I was trying to say is, there are a lot of risk averse folks in the Macan world (worries about warranties, bright colours etc etc) but seemingly “outrage” if the ability to break the speed limit is removed!
I don’t like the idea of it either, but I also know it will be easy to negate it I think… 😊