Intelligent Speed Assist

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:38 pm It will happen and in time it will get far worst from a petrol heads POV.

Self driving vehicles will become the norm so they will tootle along at the posted speed limit and will accelerate at a Miss Daisy rate so as to provide a serene environment to the passengers.

Hence nobody will have the need for a road going sub 3 second 0-60 mph car.

Because all the vehicles will be driven by a computer with AI the safety devices and design will not be needed in the form they are today, net result will be that the vehicle weights will reduce, less materials will be needed in their manufacture, wear and tear on roads will reduce, the environmental impact of car ownership will reduce markedly.

I’m depressed.
Start planning your guerilla tactics now. There will be an integration period. Homocars and Robocars will have to coexist. So whenever you see a train of Robocars trundling along the motorway at 69.5mph get to the head of the train and brake. See how good the reaction times are. I reckon the 15th Robocar will not make it.

When you leave your property wait for a Robocar to come along and make as if you are pulling out . Keeps the software designers on their toes.

No need to be depressed. It's going to be great fun designing ways to show how stoopid machines can be. I mean they can't even get two panels to align yet

T
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PS4LDHS7

Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I'm already not that interested in new cars coming out now. The Macan is fine as it's my daily driver and hasn't got any obtrusive tech like the mandatory speed limiter, however I think GPF/OPF's have really killed sports/supercars for me. My AM Vantage is a 2019 and one of the last cars without these filters, so it sounds amazing. Side by side with a filtered car you wouldn't believe the sound difference. Part of the reason for buying one of these cars is the way it makes you feel and the noise, so to have regulations muting that experience is a real shame.

It's affected all new cars, sports and supercars are very noticeably muted compared to a couple of years ago which is a sad thing. It's not an easy fix either, as the filters can't be removed without a remap which invalidates the warranty. As more and more annoying tech is going to become mandatory it just makes things worse for us proper petrolheads, I don't want to be getting into my car and turning multiple systems off every journey - at some point it's going to be difficult to explain to your insurance company why all the assistance systems were off when you crashed!
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Been working my way through the various functions on my car and switched the speed limiter on. Went to overtake on the motorway, moved to the outside lane and put my foot down and there was this moment of nothingness as the limiter kicked in asking “are you sure you want to exceed 70?” That function is now confined to the “do not use” pile. I simply can’t see how it can be a safety feature when you need your vehicle to be at one with you and not fight you. I suppose you could set it to, say, 90 but if I need something to tell me I’m going 90 I probably shouldn’t be on the road on the first place.
I have similar concerns with the LKA. It tries to make me do crazy things like drive in the middle of a country lane without lane markings.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
Cobnapint

Post by Cobnapint »

Our work vans were limited to 69.999999 mph. Believe me, it's stressful. It's frustrating. And it's downright dangerous.
MY23 Macan S
2012 Cayenne Diesel
2009 997.2 C4S Cab pdk
2006 997.1 C2S Man
2006 SLK 350 (factory collect)
2004 350Z
1999 Audi TT 225
1990 944 Turbo (250)
1990 Celica GT4
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Cobnapint wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:10 am Our work vans were limited to 69.999999 mph. Believe me, it's stressful. It's frustrating. And it's downright dangerous.
Bet that was annoying when you went to overtake someone and they do the real fecking clever thing of speeding up just as you got along side :roll:
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)