New Macan S owner - with grief already :(

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
saxondean

Post by saxondean »

SAC1, great call.
Have just spoken to previous OPC who did the last service July2021. No advisories relating to oil; they also did a 6yr service Nov 2021, including an oil change & again, nothing found. So my issue is post Nov 21. I bought in June with no accompanying warranty. Now to Porsche UK...............
MartinB - cheers.

Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Sorry to hear your grief, I had the same issue on my petrol s, when I was discussing it with the technician @ the OPC he said it was very rare on Diesel engines. The reason I was given was that a Diesel engines are much more thermally efficient & therefore do not suffer from the same range of heat cycles that occurs on the petrol engine. I had extended Porsche warranty which covered the cost, the engine was not removed it was sorted in situ.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Had mine done in April at the main dealer, they did not remove the engine and was only £550. So dont be too depressed, if it can be sorted for similar money then that’s not a massive issue in the scheme of things.
The internet will be full of stories of having to remove the engine, but earlier this year Porsche changed their policy and simply change the accessible bolts without engine removal. Fortunately it seems most of the broken bolts are accessible.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
saxondean

Post by saxondean »

Toddie wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:19 pm Sorry to hear your grief, I had the same issue on my petrol s, when I was discussing it with the technician @ the OPC he said it was very rare on Diesel engines. The reason I was given was that a Diesel engines are much more thermally efficient & therefore do not suffer from the same range of heat cycles that occurs on the petrol engine. I had extended Porsche warranty which covered the cost, the engine was not removed it was sorted in situ.
Confirms what I believe, Petrol = no engine drop

Klynie: Fortunate! Petrol? £500, I wouldn't be have this conversation. Perhaps in your case, it was just a question of how many & how accessible the bolts (evidence of leakage from that spot) needed replacing. Or did they all get replaced with a new torque setting plus gasket & new cover?

Can anyone please clarify the difference on a petrol as opposed to a diesel regarding this issue?
My understanding: with a petrol car, snapped bolts, either completed sheared off or still in situ but snapped at the gasket, can be fixed/accessed without dropping the engine - a Porsche bulletin has a procedure. My OPC tells me NOT applicable to a diesel since the TCC "is at the back" where said bolts can't be accessed & the engine has to be dropped. What does 'at the back' mean - aside from the obvious :)

Understanding the 'fix' is perhaps key to the issue not recurring. I believe the replacement bolts, now torqued correctly but again, has to be aluminium (albeit a higher grade) because of the magnesium block? Also, there's 5 pages of other parts, assume 1 time use only, that have to be replaced - including top & bottom covers?

If I had a current warranty, I wouldn't need to bother myself with ally grade10 v grade8; torque/angle & torque/yield settings etc. :? Dry & no longer leaking is all I'd wish to know. Lesson learned.