New here. Not an owner

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
MCKD

Post by MCKD »

Don't listen to anyone here lol. I live in London and just got a brand new Macan S last year. It's a great city car, comfortable, quiet (when trundling), smooth even on 21s (to me anyway coming from 4 series M Sport), absolute blast when you open it up.

It isn't huge if you genuinely need space and it is thirsty - around town I'm getting under 20, sometimes 15 but when you only do a few thousand miles a year who cares. For the few thousand miles I do outside London it's worth every penny.

Options wise I do think upgraded seats, I have 18 way, and again people that say Bose isn't worth it are literally wrong. I did side by side tests of both and the standard is weak, or at least in Gen 3 it is. Sunroof nice but not necessary, get the wheels that look best to you- don't listen to ride/kerb though I do have surround view to protect them and I haven't had a kerb yet.

Engine 2l is enough but I had a 2l petrol Q5 and the same engine in a Porsche wouldn't have felt special - the 2.9 V6 definitely does.

Plus with the residuals on a Macan you could buy a Kia with the difference after 3 years to be honest so to me that is also money down the drain.

Nothing wrong with owning a car in London - London is an awful lot bigger than the zone 1/2 people on here seem to think it consists of.

Didipots

Post by Didipots »

MCKD wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:33 pm Don't listen to anyone here lol. I live in London and just got a brand new Macan S last year. It's a great city car, comfortable, quiet (when trundling), smooth even on 21s (to me anyway coming from 4 series M Sport), absolute blast when you open it up.

It isn't huge if you genuinely need space and it is thirsty - around town I'm getting under 20, sometimes 15 but when you only do a few thousand miles a year who cares. For the few thousand miles I do outside London it's worth every penny.

Options wise I do think upgraded seats, I have 18 way, and again people that say Bose isn't worth it are literally wrong. I did side by side tests of both and the standard is weak, or at least in Gen 3 it is. Sunroof nice but not necessary, get the wheels that look best to you- don't listen to ride/kerb though I do have surround view to protect them and I haven't had a kerb yet.

Engine 2l is enough but I had a 2l petrol Q5 and the same engine in a Porsche wouldn't have felt special - the 2.9 V6 definitely does.

Plus with the residuals on a Macan you could buy a Kia with the difference after 3 years to be honest so to me that is also money down the drain.

Nothing wrong with owning a car in London - London is an awful lot bigger than the zone 1/2 people on here seem to think it consists of.
Thanks for the write up, super helpful.

I'm with you on a car with good sound, I also don't worry too much about wheels for comfort. I have pleasure driving hard cars.

Without having tested any Macan I do feel the 2L is not special enough.

Like you said, to me mpg is not a deal breaker. I want a special ride and I don't drive plenty of miles.

It's really great to hear you can drive around town in a Macan and enjoy it. We all know it's not the same as driving on open roads, but I'll get the chance to drive it that way during summer long road trips when driving back home.

You've made my brain yet closer again to a Macan 😁
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Bose is marginally better at best. When standard is bedded in the difference in sound is notional and I now have both!
If you really like your sounds, Burmester is the only choice.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Ntense

Post by Ntense »

Buying any Porsche is a usually a decision led by the heart, a Macan is a wonderful car whatever iteration you go for they all drive nicely. Most of the points have already been made so I won't go into too much detail but based on my experience, I found the 2.0L a very nice and responsive engine for city driving, ok it doesn't have the sound or other attributes of the v6's so test drive a few, you may find that the mpg is not all that different. The 2.0L is much lighter and this affects handling and turn in. A Macan is a lovely drive city or rolling road and if you can afford it why not? Mine's a 3.0s and I get about 25mpg average mixed, 30 on a careful run. However, if I'm being really critical, I would say that the Gen II 3.0 engine is adequate and not really special in the way a BMW straight 6 can be. the 2.9v6 is very special however and makes the Macan perfect IMO. Wheels are subjective but I feel that the size of the car suits 21's but I hear rides better on 20's. I have air suspension which I think makes the ride perfect in a cosseted way, you're not so connected to the road however. Air also makes the car corner pretty much flat with minimal roll. Having used Shell V Power for years, I was amazed at how good Tesco Momentum is and I now get c 10-20 miles more per tank. The comments above on seats are pretty much spot on, I', a medium and the 18 way fit well but the side bolsters are high, the 14 way are god but for me the upper bolsters don't provide as much support but are perfectly acceptable so I have specified these in my new Gen III S. I love my panoramic roof and the surround camera has saved my 21" Spyders many a time. Also don't fret about cleaning intricate wheels, I can properly each Spyder in under 5 mins incl inner barrel. Finally, the sound system, yes there is a difference between the standard and Bose, the sound is pretty similar although the Bose has more bass with a dedicated subwoofer. Now being a talk radio listener, the standard is plenty good enough for me and given the size of the drivers, can also kick out plenty of bass if the source material is good.

As an aside, I tested a BMW i4 the other day and was just blown away, definitely the future given a fill up is north of a ton and doesn't get me far. I have a lock down in a few weeks and feel really tempted to switch to the BMW. Good luck I'm sure you'll make the right decision, I love my Macan and it feels special every time I look at it and get into the cabin
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

^^^ agree with everything above 👍
I too tested the i4 edrive40 and was extremely impressed. I’ve driven pretty much all the main premium EV’s now (under about £80k) and would say this is the best package to date?
Didipots

Post by Didipots »

Jon A wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:10 pm Bose is marginally better at best. When standard is bedded in the difference in sound is notional and I now have both!
I've never tested a Bose myself. I drove a Porsche with the system but never did a good run on it.

I had Burmester experience with the Taycan and it's amazing. But had B&W on the BMW 850i and that blows anything else I've ever heard.

I think Burmester must be hard to find, so not aiming that high.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Didipots wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:36 pm
Jon A wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:10 pm Bose is marginally better at best. When standard is bedded in the difference in sound is notional and I now have both!
I've never tested a Bose myself. I drove a Porsche with the system but never did a good run on it.

I had Burmester experience with the Taycan and it's amazing. But had B&W on the BMW 850i and that blows anything else I've ever heard.

Agree will be hard to find and if buying used just get the Bose it won’t make a hill of beans difference on price. I have a new Macan with bedded in standard and my wife has a 2020 Cayenne loaned from a friend for a few months, with Bose. I’ve been driving both over the last couple of weeks and as I say the difference is very marginal and surprisingly sensitive to the source.
B&O is the pinnacle of factory fit systems imho. 👍
Ntense

Post by Ntense »

In answer to your specific question; so in my 3 years of Macan S ownership which has been faultless and driving 70% city roads with broken surfaces, speed humps, pot holes etc I can confirm that a Macan on 21's rides superbly, is very quick, has great brakes and is overall a lovely proposition.
Didipots

Post by Didipots »

Jon A wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:45 pm

Agree will be hard to find and if buying used just get the Bose it won’t make a hill of beans difference on price. I have a new Macan with bedded in standard and my wife has a 2020 Cayenne loaned from a friend for a few months, with Bose. I’ve been driving both over the last couple of weeks and as I say the difference is very marginal and surprisingly sensitive to the source.
I would expect more bass from BOSE I guess, that's their signature anyway. But not a high bass guy, so maybe you're right and won't be that different to me vs standard.

A Cayenne is something I really like too. But too big and too heavy. I presume.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Didipots wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:50 pm
Jon A wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:45 pm

I would expect more bass from BOSE I guess, that's their signature anyway. But not a high bass guy, so maybe you're right and won't be that different to me vs standard.

A Cayenne is something I really like too. But too big and too heavy. I presume.
I drove the Cayenne for the first few days exclusively (cos it is new to me) and it’s a noticeably bigger and heavier car. I have reverted to the Macan as first choice now as I just enjoy driving it more - it’s more responsive and agile even as an SUV, but less space in the back and boot than the Cayenne.
Tech is more up to date on the Cy but actually, it’s pretty good on the Macan too for everyday use. If moving people and stuff in comfort and style is the goal you would be hard pressed to beat the Cayenne. It is cumbersome though, although I believe this can be rectified with £120k for a turbo S version… 😂