Colours

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Rarecolour wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:55 am

Quick question then, why is it optional on Porsches "4" models, and not standard if they are that bad?
You comment on Audis Quattro, but times have changed and most vehicles have active bias. Look in your Macan dash and see how the power is split and when.

Probably for the simplest reason you can imagine - because Porsche can charge for it as an extra!

Many, if not the majority, of Porsche cars are sold to people who won't ever track or drive them to the limit. I can see most people being happy without PTV as standard as they're not looking to maximise any apexs any time soon. But for those that do care... theres money to be made for Porsche.

Yes active torque distribution exists. Even Audi's have gotten the hang of that now. PTV+ is still effective with rear wheel driven vehicles to improve turn in.

The real question is whether you'd ever drive the car hard enough to encounter/use PTV+.

Apologies for thread deviation. Yes I think deviated stitching is also very nice.
Last edited by Plyphon on Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94

PowerMalc

Post by PowerMalc »

My just sold Boxster 981S had PTV+ and it definitely made a difference on corner turn in.
It tipped into the corner as soon as you turned the wheel and it 'settled' down much more easily and you could aim for the apex much more accurately.
I am comparing this to my earlier Boxster 981 which did not have PTV+.
Our new Macan S will not have it. I was pleased and surprised on our lengthy test drive how easy it was to apex aim and this was in torrential rain.
Our other car, VW Tiguan, is bit wallowy in the corners and my OH used to say if I was 'making progress' in it, 'Your are not in the Porsche now'.
She won't be able to say that once we get the Macan LOL
https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PPHDBG45
Macan S ordered 14-1-22 Gentian, extended Mojave, Walnut, Air, sunroof, 14 way, ACC, LCA, keyfree, surround, spare, HFW, PS+, PDLS+, Heated wheel, rear airbags, autodim, vented seats
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

crockers wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:22 pm Went in today to the OPC to look at colours in the bright sunshine. We had originally ordered Crayon but in the sunlight it looks too flat and “beige”. I thought it was more like a grey colour but I couldn’t see grey there at all. Next to this was a Dolomite silver car which really sparkled and popped in the sun. We’ve decided therefore to save a £grand and go for the silver.

Now to pin down the interior. I really like the standard black and pinstripes but am pulled with going extended grey. On a T would it be best to stick with a T interior or go custom ?

Just to get this back on topic before I throw it off again, I personally think it would be better to stick with the T interior on the T model.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

crockers wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:34 am Good Question and one I’ve asked myself.
Firstly around 5 mpg difference ( I know a weak argument)
Secondly there is a max budget I can afford - when I option up the S it’s about £5k more.
My wife doesn’t want a V6. It was hard enough convincing her to go 💯 % petrol.
She wants all the safety items we have on the Volvo so cutting spec back would be difficult.
Also the wait for a T is long the wait for a S is almost double that.
But yes I can see why you’re asking the Question as it’s one I ask myself 😎
If you've not test driven a Macan yet, I think you'll be ok with the T. But as soon as you drive one with the bigger engine, I think you'll regret not getting the bigger engine. Can't miss what you've never had!
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Plyphon wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:55 pm
Rarecolour wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:55 am

Quick question then, why is it optional on Porsches "4" models, and not standard if they are that bad?
You comment on Audis Quattro, but times have changed and most vehicles have active bias. Look in your Macan dash and see how the power is split and when.

Probably for the simplest reason you can imagine - because Porsche can charge for it as an extra!

Many, if not the majority, of Porsche cars are sold to people who won't ever track or drive them to the limit. I can see most people being happy without PTV as standard as they're not looking to maximise any apexs any time soon. But for those that do care... theres money to be made for Porsche.

Yes active torque distribution exists. Even Audi's have gotten the hang of that now. PTV+ is still effective with rear wheel driven vehicles to improve turn in.

The real question is whether you'd ever drive the car hard enough to encounter/use PTV+.

Apologies for thread deviation. Yes I think deviated stitching is also very nice.
Do you realise that Porsche fit PTV as standard to some of their cars?

Also just going back to your Quattro theory for them understeering, (I've been mega busy today) you do know where the engine sits on the old Audis with Quattro, almost in the car infront (check my sig and you'll see the cars I've had). You could really help the understeer by getting upgraded ARBs, but when the engine is infront of the axle you can only do so much.

And yes I know PTV is still effective on rear wheel driven cars, that's where it's most effective.
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
andreas

Post by andreas »

Rarecolour wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:32 pm

If you've not test driven a Macan yet, I think you'll be ok with the T. But as soon as you drive one with the bigger engine, I think you'll regret not getting the bigger engine. Can't miss what you've never had!
Essentially agree with this, although I still think many drivers will find the T's engine/transmission to be too highly stressed.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Rarecolour wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:29 pm
crockers wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:22 pm Went in today to the OPC to look at colours in the bright sunshine. We had originally ordered Crayon but in the sunlight it looks too flat and “beige”. I thought it was more like a grey colour but I couldn’t see grey there at all. Next to this was a Dolomite silver car which really sparkled and popped in the sun. We’ve decided therefore to save a £grand and go for the silver.

Now to pin down the interior. I really like the standard black and pinstripes but am pulled with going extended grey. On a T would it be best to stick with a T interior or go custom ?

Just to get this back on topic before I throw it off again, I personally think it would be better to stick with the T interior on the T model.

Hear, hear! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
TK421

Post by TK421 »

Just want to add to the thread with my experiences with Crayon 2 months down the line since purchase. I too was in the ‘is it beige’ camp and to be honest prefer black cars, so this crayon was a real wild card for me.
It’s simply one of the best colours I’ve had on any car for many reasons. Firstly it hides the dirt better than any other colour I’ve had, it still shines and looks clean even when covered in crap. Second, the colour does change through the day as mentioned, but there isn’t one shade that doesn’t look good. It’s a definite grower for sure, living with it seeing it every day I love it even more. Not that it has any scratches but there was the typical dealership microswirls on the paint from new, which I couldn’t see unless I viewed the paint under a purpose built paint inspection tool, even then it was very difficult to pick them out. What I could find where easy enough to correct, so another thumbs up there also.
My other order is currently sat there waiting for allocation in black, main reason being I want a different colour on my next Macan, but I’m seriously considering just flipping it to another Crayon. Living with this paint has been a refreshing change from the constant fettling I have to do with black. Just wish they did ice grey metallic on the Macan.

(Car is filthy in these pictures, zoom in on the side blades you can see the dirt and road film)

415E4343-4C15-4596-9C1D-D560654AA906.jpeg

90417860-A8D1-4C85-B35F-3271C16B24BD.jpeg

23 Macan GTS
EX - 22 Macan GTS

The final Hurrah http://www.porsche-code.com/PRSB8KW7
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Agree TK, I have a Cayenne loaner from a friend at the moment in crayon and it does look good nearly all of the time. In fact I almost prefer the colour on a dull day than a sunny one but both are good.
I prefer the Carmine on my Macan on a sunny day but also good in overcast, but both hold a nice shine even when fairly dirty - must be something to do with non metallic paints??
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Nella

Post by Nella »

TK421 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:20 am Just want to add to the thread with my experiences with Crayon 2 months down the line since purchase. I too was in the ‘is it beige’ camp and to be honest prefer black cars, so this crayon was a real wild card for me.
It’s simply one of the best colours I’ve had on any car for many reasons. Firstly it hides the dirt better than any other colour I’ve had, it still shines and looks clean even when covered in crap. Second, the colour does change through the day as mentioned, but there isn’t one shade that doesn’t look good. It’s a definite grower for sure, living with it seeing it every day I love it even more. Not that it has any scratches but there was the typical dealership microswirls on the paint from new, which I couldn’t see unless I viewed the paint under a purpose built paint inspection tool, even then it was very difficult to pick them out. What I could find where easy enough to correct, so another thumbs up there also.
My other order is currently sat there waiting for allocation in black, main reason being I want a different colour on my next Macan, but I’m seriously considering just flipping it to another Crayon. Living with this paint has been a refreshing change from the constant fettling I have to do with black. Just wish they did ice grey metallic on the Macan.

(Car is filthy in these pictures, zoom in on the side blades you can see the dirt and road film)
I have to agree I’m very happy with primer/crayon. Been up in Scotland a week now and the car is minging but actually still looks good. Had to clean the glass as I could barely see through the dead bugs and boom the colour still pops. Just hope we have no hosepipe ban when I get home as it will take some work to get it back to its usual pristine state!

image.jpg