My First GTS spec

All your ordering information here!
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Plyphon wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:39 pm I can't believe some of you wouldn't spec a system designed to save your bacon over some macho sense of "being able to drive properly". That's honestly the biggest amount of nonsense I've read in a while.
Not sure macho is the correct word

Sense of control might be more appropriate

Anybody that is a pure petrol head would want to be in control of what they are doing not dictated by a computer hence most people with that kind of interest will turn these items off

I appreciate that too many people buy Porsches for the badge though so they can tell their mates down the pub/library that they have one as opposed to buying in to the engineering and true driving experience
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Spot on Tracky! A few folk here don’t understand the difference between safety systems and ‘driver interference’ systems.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

It's just not a simple yes or no, different for each of us, varies depending on which "system" you are referring to and pprobably even to the traffic conditions prevalent where we use our cars.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

When the system is superior to the nut behind the wheel, I agree. For example ABS is far better than any human could achieve. Unfortunately the new autonomous aids have a long way to go. On my way to work on Friday, on a route I have driven for 37 years my Macan decided to slap on the anchors without warning. My immediate thought was catastrophic drive train failure. It then puts a message on the dial about collision avoidance.

It had perceived that the van ahead of me had slowed down too quickly (it was turning left). My opinion was that the van would be gone by the time I got there so no need to change my speed or direction. Fortunately there was nothing following.
I have now turned off collision avoidance and wish I'd listened to Rarecolour in the first place about speccing ACC.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Tracky wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:32 am
Plyphon wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:39 pm I can't believe some of you wouldn't spec a system designed to save your bacon over some macho sense of "being able to drive properly". That's honestly the biggest amount of nonsense I've read in a while.

Anybody that is a pure petrol head would want to be in control of what they are doing not dictated by a computer hence most people with that kind of interest will turn these items off
If only the configurator allowed you to remove the PDK gearbox so you could be further in control of your Macan. I can only image the driving experience offered if we could remove traction control and ABS also.

I, personally, hate that you can't remove climate control. True Porsche enthusiasts will understand the connection to the air-conditioning system and will be able to create their own perfect cabin temperature without the interference of these 'automated systems'. But then again some people are only into Porsche for the badge.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Plyphon wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:18 am
Tracky wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:32 am

If only the configurator allowed you to remove the PDK gearbox so you could be further in control of your Macan. I can only image the driving experience offered if we could remove traction control and ABS also.

I, personally, hate that you can't remove climate control. True Porsche enthusiasts will understand the connection to the air-conditioning system and will be able to create their own perfect cabin temperature without the interference of these 'automated systems'. But then again some people are only into Porsche for the badge.

You know you can turn climate control into manual mode to create your own perfect cabin temperature!
Guess you've got lazy with all your special computer controlled gadgets that you rely on. Hey, at least you can check your phone more often now you have these life saving systems 👍🏻
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Pretty sure you can put the pdk in manual too….
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:07 am When the system is superior to the nut behind the wheel, I agree. For example ABS is far better than any human could achieve. Unfortunately the new autonomous aids have a long way to go. On my way to work on Friday, on a route I have driven for 37 years my Macan decided to slap on the anchors without warning. My immediate thought was catastrophic drive train failure. It then puts a message on the dial about collision avoidance.

It had perceived that the van ahead of me had slowed down too quickly (it was turning left). My opinion was that the van would be gone by the time I got there so no need to change my speed or direction. Fortunately there was nothing following.
I have now turned off collision avoidance and wish I'd listened to Rarecolour in the first place about speccing ACC.
The problem is that Porsche Active Safe (PAS) consists of two systems. One is Automatic Emergency Brake (AEB) and the other is Emergency Brake Assist (EBA). If PAS is on then both systems are active but you can't have one without the other so if you turn off PAS to disable AEB then you also lose EBA and that (IMHO) is the really useful part of PAS. As I've posted a number of times over the years, EBA was developed by Bosch for Mercedes as part of the Sensotronic Brake System (SBS). When SBS was discontinued the principle was carried over to conventional brake systems. The reason for its development was Mercedes research found that in an emergency a significant number of motorists did not press hard enough on the brake pedal. So if you move your foot rapidly from the accelerator to the brake pedal and press hard, the car assumes an emergency and boosts brake pressure to the maximum possible. Any easing of foot pressure by the driver turns the system off.

I doubt there will be many forum members who want to go back to early sixties motoring when there was no servo assistance for car braking systems so having the car give extra assistance in an emergency is helpful. If the option was there to disable AEB, I'd go for it every time but it looks as if the EU will make it compulsory so I'll put up with its false alarms in order to keep EBA.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
SanPorMGTS

Post by SanPorMGTS »

Just to let you know, I’ve been playing with the car this morning. Unfortunately I’ve to make an unplanned trip to Ireland so delighted to have the car now, this is what it was about and being able to bring the pooches with me.
I was asking about aircon above, more of a problem in summer - but you can lock the car and leave window open - without alarm going off :) :). I’ve also checked the turning off the internal sensors.. All seemed to work fine…

Found portable battery type fans online that can be attached to the headrests - so they can be purchased for warmer weather trip.