Newbie to brand - but which car should I buy

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

nickjwilliams wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:50 pm
RGS wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:25 pm There are two big differences between the S & GTS to consider. The first is brakes, the GTS comes with PSCB as standard. When the Turbo came out with these brakes there was a lot of scepticism relating to the difference in cost to replace Pads & Discs over the standard iron brakes. That scepticism seems to have gone quiet since the GTS has arrived. As a Turbo owner all I can say is they are the best thing out in terms of no (or very little ) brake dust generated also braking performance is increased over the standard set up. The other difference relates to Air Suspension, the GTS is fitted as standard with the sports suspension set up which lowers the ride height by 15 mm and provides a slightly stiffer set up. There were some negative comments from the motoring press when the GTS arrived saying the suspension was a little too firm for UK roads, however there is a no cost option to choose the standard air suspension if ride quality is a priority. That would also be the suspension on the S if opted for. Most GTS owners are happy with the Sports suspension but Its worth knowing there is a second option to choose.
Thanks - my research this far has come across that and also a mix of GTS's with either standard sports or no-cost standard air suspension. Info on brakes useful too - appreciated.
Just remember it's only the Gen 3 GTS that comes with PSCB discs. Gens 1 & 2 had larger discs than the S but still iron. Uprated discs were available as an option. Comparing ride heights between the S and GTS is a bit of a minefield and if you're opting for a new build S with air suspension it's probably not worth going in to.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

nickjwilliams

Post by nickjwilliams »

[/quote]

If you have a cancelled order slot, go with the S. The GTS apart from badge really isn't much different from the GTS. But the Letters GTS will always hold more value down the line.

Also, a cancelled slot is like gold dust. I ordered my S back in February last year. It `Should` be arriving at the dealers next month. The wait has been long and nearly cancelled due to how long it was taking and lack of updates from Porsche.
[/quote]

Yes I got very lucky picking the slot up and in reality it's probably May delivery I presume if an April build, so 3 months rather than 12 months by the sounds of it!
Current and last few vehicles: -
22 Macan GTS (MY23) - bought March 2023 (ex Demo), still loving...
22 M3 Comp xDrive (LCI MY23) - SOLD
21 X4 M40D (LCI MY22) - SOLD
21 Merc GLE 400d - SOLD
19 Merc AMG GLC63s - SOLD
19 RR Sport SDV6 HSE Dynamic - SOLD
nickjwilliams

Post by nickjwilliams »

[/quote]
It’s a tough one but I was in the same boat, 5 months for an S or 18+ for a GTS. I went with a specced up S and love it but then I knew I would be keeping it all things being equal.
You won’t regret either option from a driving and enjoyment standpoint but in a market that is starting to soften I think it would be bonkers to pay more than list for a used car… 🤷‍♂️
[/quote]

Yeah totaly get that and hence the err'ing over the used GTS as lovely as it is and had it been closer to a 100% match I may not be on the fence so much! I enjoyed driving both the S and GTS
21 Merc GLE 400d - SOLD
nickjwilliams

Post by nickjwilliams »

cowdray2 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:54 pm I waited 409 days from placing order to picking up the car so your very lucky to get a slot like that…I spent ages considering all models but I still think the S is the sweet spot of the range….luxury SUV but nearly as fast as a Golf R!
Hopefully my "ragging" days are over and any speeding will now be in style and higher up in an S, or a GTS...
21 Merc GLE 400d - SOLD