718 speakers upgrade advice

The place to discuss everything else..
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Gibberish wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:11 pm
Jon A wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:22 pm So just a quick update on this.
I had the Boxster speakers “fettled” by CEN auto electrical in Nottingham today. The plan was change speakers and add sound insulation to inside of the doors but the plan got changed! Apparently the new speakers didn’t perform as well as the Porsche items in a back to back test and to get a better sound stage would require a different amp. This was not the route I wanted to go down but they advised that the Boxster has virtually zero insulation and doing a “stage 5 insulation job” would make a huge difference - I advised to go ahead and this has taken six hours to accomplish!
Net result is a night and day difference in sound quality with rich base that doesn’t resonate even at very high volumes. Now this is not surround and there is no subwoofer, just stereo door speakers so my expectation was to achieve serviceable quality at say 80% full volume.
I can happily report that is exactly what I have now got (Mrs A to be precise).
They do loads of Porsches with varying degrees of upgrades and he tells me that Macan has best insulation but still could be a lot better. The worst is 718 and Taycan!
Next week is adding the power steering plus so will report on that too but should be what it says on the tin.
Just revisited this thread Jon,
My Spyder will be heading to CEN for the same treatment as your Boxster.

Unfortunately Bose & Burmester isn't available so the standard sound package plus is my only choice 👍

It'll probably be an awful lot cheaper than Burmester or Bose too 😉
They are good guys Gibberish and very honest in their advice. Bear in mind we just ended up with more (some) soundproofing as new speakers offered little upgrade without a new amp and I didn’t want to go that far. Having said that, the soundproofing has made a huge difference albeit still with original kit and no surround sound.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0