The dreaded oil leak

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
dpg123

Post by dpg123 »

So the car went in for it's 8yr service (Major) on Saturday (40k miles).

The health check came back with brakes needed (which I knew) plus the following more worrying issues:

QTE
1) Oil leak down front of engine. Believe this to be front casing leaking from failed front cover bolts, advise further investigation.

2) Aux belt tensioner has leaked damping fluid and tensioner will need replaced, once being replaced advise inspection of pulley and belt to see if oil contamination is present.
UNQTE

So it sounds like the car is a victim of the dreaded timing cover leak, plus a separate tensioner oil leak...

The car is under Porsche Warranty from when I bought it at Brooklands Porsche. I am hoping and praying both of these issues are fully covered under by that!!!

The car was in for a week over Christmas with a coolant hose failure (where the hose enters the top of the head of the drivers side bank of the engine) and has only done 200 - 300 miles since. Getting a little tired of visits to the dealer TBH.
Current ride: 2015 Macan Turbo and 2004 Boxster S

tigertrout

Post by tigertrout »

It’s crazy that quite a few macans are suffering with this problem and Porsche are not interested. Lucky you have got warranty as I have heard this can be a very expensive repair.
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

That's not ideal by any means but exactly what the warranty is for.

Hope it gets resolved quickly.
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

dpg123 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:00 pm So the car went in for it's 8yr service (Major) on Saturday (40k miles).

The health check came back with brakes needed (which I knew) plus the following more worrying issues:

QTE
1) Oil leak down front of engine. Believe this to be front casing leaking from failed front cover bolts, advise further investigation.

2) Aux belt tensioner has leaked damping fluid and tensioner will need replaced, once being replaced advise inspection of pulley and belt to see if oil contamination is present.
UNQTE

So it sounds like the car is a victim of the dreaded timing cover leak, plus a separate tensioner oil leak...

The car is under Porsche Warranty from when I bought it at Brooklands Porsche. I am hoping and praying both of these issues are fully covered under by that!!!

The car was in for a week over Christmas with a coolant hose failure (where the hose enters the top of the head of the drivers side bank of the engine) and has only done 200 - 300 miles since. Getting a little tired of visits to the dealer TBH.

There was a big thread running on this forum about the oil leak issue, I had this issue & was sorted by Leeds OPC under the used car warranty, my car was the first car they did without removing the engine, done about 3K miles since, no apparent issues. I have also answered your post on BXA.net. Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

They use aluminium bolts, and they shear off. It used to be a major fix, but I believe Porsche have now produced a modified process, and different bolts to repair with.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Had my casing oil leak done last March at Brooklands under warranty. I saw the invoice and it was £550 all in, so not the worst. In my experience Brooklands are one of the better franchised dealers.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
dpg123

Post by dpg123 »

Toddie wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:29 pm
dpg123 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:00 pm So the car went in for it's 8yr service (Major) on Saturday (40k miles).

QTE

UNQTE

There was a big thread running on this forum about the oil leak issue, I had this issue & was sorted by Leeds OPC under the used car warranty, my car was the first car they did without removing the engine, done about 3K miles since, no apparent issues. I have also answered your post on BXA.net. Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.
Thanks Toddie! A man of good taste, being a box’s.net forum member! I’ll post how it goes.
dpg123

Post by dpg123 »

Update!

So last week the car went in to Brooklands for the brakes and warranty issues. The warranty issues covered an ineffective windscreen washer jet, timing cover oil leak and hydraulic tensioner leak.

Dropped it off on Tuesday morning and had a VW ID4 as a loaner. Brooklands don't seem to do Porsche loan cars, the worst I had previously was a 1.0L Ford Fiesta Automatic, which was probably the worst car I've driven. The ID4 was actually very relaxing, if not exciting.

Drop off was all fine, talked through the work and was told it would take 2 days.

Thursday arrived and I had the call to go and collect the car. I arrived at 5:30pm and immediately saw the front bumper was waaaaaay too low (it was removed as part of the oil leak repair) and the car wasn't washed. I asked for the bumper to be fixed (it took 30 mins to have it adjusted) but I ran out of time to wait for the car to be washed, which I was a little annoyed about given I had been told I could collect the car from 1pm onwards plus I'd just dropped a lot of ££££'s on new brakes and extending the warranty plus assistance cover for another year.

Other than that, the leaks seem to have been fixed (as far as anyone can tell having not even known there were leaks in the first place) and the brakes feel night and day better.

Overall, was I happy? I was happy the items were covered under warranty, I was happy that the work was completed on time. I think Brooklands could improve a lot in their loan car choice as well as their attention to detail when handing cars back to customers. If this had been Porsche West London, for example, I would imagine these issues wouldn't have come up, but then they'd have charged several hundred £ more for the chargeable work.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Mine is booked into Brooklands on 22nd May with a loan car, I hope I don't get the Fiesta again!

I actually ask them not to wash my car as I don't like the thought of someone with an oily rag wiping over my stage 2 detailed car.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
SP6IGHT

Post by SP6IGHT »

I'm just about to lockdown my spec on a GTS.

Has the oil leak issue been sorted ? do the latest cars suffer with the oil leak.