Spray on rear window

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Wolands Advocate

Post by Wolands Advocate »

I’ve noticed that my GTS, now with about 500 miles on the clock, appears to have a foible I’ve not seen previously on any other car, and I’ve had over 20.

If I accelerate after a period at a steady lower speed, eg to 70 when joining the M4 after 5 mins at a steady 40 on the elevated A4, the rear window gets coated in water spray as if I’ve just driven through a puddle no matter how dry the conditions.

I can only assume this is from water vapour which has condensed in the tailpipes being ejected by the increased gas flow from accelerating.

Is it normal?
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Wolands Advocate wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:31 pm I’ve noticed that my GTS, now with about 500 miles on the clock, appears to have a foible I’ve not seen previously on any other car, and I’ve had over 20.

If I accelerate after a period at a steady lower speed, eg to 70 when joining the M4 after 5 mins at a steady 40 on the elevated A4, the rear window gets coated in water spray as if I’ve just driven through a puddle no matter how dry the conditions.

I can only assume this is from water vapour which has condensed in the tailpipes being ejected by the increased gas flow from accelerating.

Is it normal?
Definitely NOT normal. Unless mine is abnormal, as I have never seen this! 🤔
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Never experienced or heard of that before
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
wingless

Post by wingless »

Was the Smoke Screen or Oil button pushed accidentally?

2022 Macan
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I saw that much water coming out of the back of a 72 plate X3 yesterday but failed to notice if any reached the rear window, most hit the road.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Given the conditions you describe, and assuming the car was cold, then yes it's normal. We know that the Macan sucks everything it possibly can onto the rear screen so if your pipes were throwing out a lot of water vapour from a cold engine and exhaust then it was very likely going to end up on the glass. Perhaps the weather conditions helped, then the rapid acceleration and cold system all conspired to create the 'perfect storm'.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:00 am Given the conditions you describe, and assuming the car was cold, then yes it's normal. We know that the Macan sucks everything it possibly can onto the rear screen so if your pipes were throwing out a lot of water vapour from a cold engine and exhaust then it was very likely going to end up on the glass. Perhaps the weather conditions helped, then the rapid acceleration and cold system all conspired to create the 'perfect storm'.

George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg weren’t in the car with you, were they Wolands? ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Wolands Advocate

Post by Wolands Advocate »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:00 am Given the conditions you describe, and assuming the car was cold, then yes it's normal. We know that the Macan sucks everything it possibly can onto the rear screen so if your pipes were throwing out a lot of water vapour from a cold engine and exhaust then it was very likely going to end up on the glass. Perhaps the weather conditions helped, then the rapid acceleration and cold system all conspired to create the 'perfect storm'.
Thanks. I figured something like that; it was just uncomfortably reminiscent of the time many years ago barrelling along an autostrada at high speed in my father’s then-new second-gen Range Rover 4.6 (the late 1990s one) and thinking why is my rear screen continually getting wet on a dry day, only for the car to then proceed to emit so much white smoke out of the back that it was creating its own high-speed fog bank. Coolant leak if I recall correctly.
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Wolands Advocate wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:51 am
Thanks. I figured something like that; it was just uncomfortably reminiscent of the time many years ago barrelling along an autostrada at high speed in my father’s then-new second-gen Range Rover 4.6 (the late 1990s one) and thinking why is my rear screen continually getting wet on a dry day, only for the car to then proceed to emit so much white smoke out of the back that it was creating its own high-speed fog bank. Coolant leak if I recall correctly.
I had a similar experience on the M1, about 30 mins from home, family all loaded up in the Mondeo on Friday night departure for a holiday in Dorset. It wasn't steam though, smoke! Mild panic! Turned out that, having had a service the day before, the oil filter had been tightened properly, hence oil + hot exhaust = smoke. Thankfully not 🔥. Recovery tightened the filter topped up the oil, job done, just a minor delay.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP