How good is the S?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
2japs

Post by 2japs »

I had similar on a run, however the missus needed a shopping top up at local Asda, only a 3 Mile round trip at 15.7mpg. She can walk next time! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)

Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

School run about 8 miles round trip from cold , about 22 mpg..
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Wow, some very interesting comments here. I do now have the corroded harness back but not yet examined it. Changing the subject slightly, it annoys me a wee bit that the stereo in my 2015 Tiguan is miles better than the one in my SD. No matter, still love the SD and maybe I should just stop looking at Autotrader. Can someone please explain the Gen1, Gen 2, Gen 3 stuff to me as I have not found anything online about this.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Chilgrove wrote: ↑Mon May 22, 2023 6:02 pm Wow, some very interesting comments here. I do now have the corroded harness back but not yet examined it. Changing the subject slightly, it annoys me a wee bit that the stereo in my 2015 Tiguan is miles better than the one in my SD. No matter, still love the SD and maybe I should just stop looking at Autotrader. Can someone please explain the Gen1, Gen 2, Gen 3 stuff to me as I have not found anything online about this.
At each new gen some improvement in suspension and road feel.

Gen 1 petrol v6 's Porsche with more noise but risk of broken bolts leading to leak and repair cost

Gen 2 and3 V6's quiter audi engines with ppf filters and minor gains in power and efficiency. gen 2 S 3 litre single turbo 354 bhp Gen 3 S 2.9 litre twin turbo 380 bhp

Gen2 and 3 have later improved PCM with bigger screen

Gen 1 and 2 physical centre buttons Gen 3 haptic
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Thanks pmg. Looking at adverts for S Macans I have not seen any reference to which Gen each car is. How can you tell which one it is? Maybe it is just a case of asking the seller and hope they know ! Also assuming the bhp is shown then that can show whether 2 or 3 Gen.
Last edited by Chilgrove on Tue May 23, 2023 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Gen 3's have a different front grill than the others and some wheels are unique to the Gen 3. If the grill looks different from what you see on the Porsche configurator then it's not a Gen 3 ;)

Similarly, inside, only the Gen 3 has the haptic touch centre console.

And Gen 1's have a completely different rear light cluster, i.e no light bar.
Macan S MY 2023
pmg

Post by pmg »

Chilgrove wrote: ↑Tue May 23, 2023 2:32 pm Thanks pmg. Looking at adverts for S Macans I have not seen any reference to which Gen each car is. How can you tell which one it is? Maybe it is just a case of asking the seller and hope they know !
pictures offer best guide and age and for petrol S what is said about engine bhp

to MY 2018 Gen 1 lacks rear light bar across the whole rear of car and also smaller center screen, engine bhp 344

Gen 2 Model years 2019 to 2021 engine bhp 354

Gen 3 lacks physical centre buttons and MY 2022 onwards, engine bhp 380
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

I'm learning all the time Skyway. Thanks for the info. And thanks again to pmg.
andreas

Post by andreas »

MacMark wrote: ↑Mon May 22, 2023 3:03 pm Some very real world mileage this weekend across a mix of dual carriageway and single carriageway A roads.

+30mpg wasn't too depressing over 400 miles. The average speed probably speaks to that though.
You could have bought a base and saved yourself a lot of money...
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Wolands Advocate

Post by Wolands Advocate »

Could have. But life is too short.

I am reminded of my elderly mother, who went to her local Mini dealership to buy herself a Countryman and came out with a Cooper S All4.

As she puts it, it's not because she wants to drive everywhere at warp factor 9, but it's just nice having the extra power when she wants it. She says overtaking is more relaxing. I like that, at 76, she's still sufficiently confident behind the wheel to overtake other drivers.
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper