Disillusioned by ownership

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

So I’ve had a few Porsches over the years including a beautiful 991.1TTS but never have I suffered so much road rage and inconsiderate driving since owning the new Macan GTS.

Let me put a little context to the statement.

I don’t drive like a boy racer, I can make progress like the best of them but generally if it’s 30 I do 30, 40, I do 40, etc unless the odd overtake permits safe progress.

My Macan is now 9 months old and shows a little over 2500 miles and this week is the first time I’ve even used the sports exhaust button!! Well actually my 12 year old wanted to hear it, generally I don’t use it.

My my miles are personal use, no commuting but I do school runs etc. over the last few months I have constantly had inconsiderate drivers try to stop me filtering where a particular road goes from 2 lanes to 1, every other car ahead of me takes turns to merge when it’s my turn I get a second car try to force me out of turn! Most recently yesterday and that was by a silver haired female driver!!! This happens regularly as this particular road is on the school run route.
This morning, taking my 12 year old to school I had to pull out of a junction onto a dual carriageway, the nearside lane was clear at the time and the offside lane had a couple of cars, I needed to cross into the offside lane as I was turning right at the island just a couple of hundred meters along.
As I checked again to my right was a LGV coming along in the nearside lane but would cause no issues to cross and be out of his way so I did, a few moments later lorry came by on my nearside and then the horn sounds!! The traffic ahead of me had stopped so obviously I did too, the lorry pulled up alongside me and the abuse started!! Swearing and shouting so loudly and aggressively I thought he was going to have mental breakdown!!! All in front of my son!! I just looked up at him and and thought WTAF!!!!!

These are just a couple of issues but it’s nearly every time I take the Macan out!
Frankly I’m sick of it and cannot understand WTF is wrong with people these days as I’ve never had these issues before.

I got home and chatted with SWMBO and her response was get rid of the Macan and go back to a 911.

Suffice to say this afternoon I picked my lad up from school in the 1 series, and apart from some old twat in an X5 who constantly drove between 2 lanes to stop people passing him I had no issues!!

I am disillusioned to be honest, I don’t need the car being a target and I don’t need the abuse in front of my son! He would love me to be back in a 911 & I’m seriously considering it!!

End of my rant. :oops:
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D

Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Blimey, sounds like carnage up the roads in Worcestershire!

I've not had anything yet in my Macan GTS. In fact, I've noticed other 'luxury SUV' drivers let you out more - Range Rovers, Jag F-Pace and the like.

Had endless twats on the road in my S3 though, proper magnet for idiots that car was.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
kalniel

Post by kalniel »

I'm not sure how any of that is related to or the fault of the Macan!

Many people are just rude and inconsiderate. Unfortunately they stand out in the memory more than those who are otherwise inclined. The solution isn't to get rid of the Macan (as you'll inevitably still suffer the same but now be minus a rather nice car), but instead try not to worry about it. Continue to drive respectfully and defensively and then let go of the things you can't control. Your blood pressure will thank you.
penport

Post by penport »

+1 think positively !!
Turning right out of my driveway involves somewhat of a leap of faith as there's a corner 70 metres away and cars come round there at a rate of knots sometimes (30mph limit supposedly). I went through a phase of pulling out just before a screamer came round the bend every single time.....spoke to SWMBO who pointed out I was now expecting it to happen.....switched to expecting it to be nice and clear and hey presto!! It really does work (....cue the sceptics....).

I've never had issues as you describe in the Macan although probably foolishly I let such behaviour put me off when experienced constantly on a test drive of a Cayman several years ago.
MY18 Macan GTS Volcano ACC, PAS, Air, PASM, PSP, PSE, Bose, PDLS+, carbon heated steering wheel
2015 Macan S Sapphire PSE, PSP, PASM, K&N [sold but not forgotten]
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

One would tend to think that the school run time is busier, and hence be more likely to encounter all sorts of twats.

I commute to Hammersmith and there's all sorts of moronic drivers about I encounter on the daily. Most the time I just laugh at them. On the few times I've take the GTS I can't say I've been treated differently for it. Granted my kid isn't in the car so if I get grief I would not hesitate giving it back but that is rare. I wouldn't let these clowns cloud my thoughts on the car.

Easy to say but try not to let it affect your ownership. Unless someone has specifically cited the car then the two are unrelated and prob more likely your perception than anything else.
happy days

Post by happy days »

It'll be because of the colour...
Macan S D
718 S
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Thanks everyone, you are all correct, I really am letting it all get to me and taking things to heart too much.
I’m quite a courteous driver and let cars, vans out of junctions if the flow of traffic permits, ie, it’s slow in front of me and stacked behind, etc, I don’t hold people up either I either move out the way or I’m going quicker than they are.

You guys probably drive a lot more miles than I do as I work away a lot so when I do go out the % of encountering such drivers is higher maybe.

pstrat, your 100% correct, school runs are busier times I agree and everyone is trying to get somewhere quickly so no doubt their stresses are much higher than mine as if I’m on the school run it means I’m on a day off and my day is my own afterwards so I don’t need to rush anywhere.
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

happy days wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:55 pm It'll be because of the colour...

:shock: What colour is it?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

r1flyguy, if the Macan suits your family better, stick with it, much as I love a 911! ;)

Probably just an unlucky run of morons that you encountered.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:13 pm
happy days wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:55 pm It'll be because of the colour...

:shock: What colour is it?
Accoring to the OP's Porsche Code, the colour is Crayon. Maybe people just don't like Macans in Crayon or it blends into the background so well they just don't see it :lol:
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel