Taycan test drive

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

wab172uk wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:39 pm
neilj007 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:19 pm This must be mis-priced - a 6 month old Turbo for nearly £25k below list...others on the used site are way more
https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en-GB/det ... der=newest

I called my SE - yep, it's available at that price!!
He now thinks you're interested. He'll be badgering you every 5 minutes to get rid of a car that won't sell. :lol:

:lol: it’s a nice looking car, but no, I’m not interested. ;) :P :D
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

neilj007

Post by neilj007 »

wab172uk wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:39 pm
neilj007 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:19 pm This must be mis-priced - a 6 month old Turbo for nearly £25k below list...others on the used site are way more
https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en-GB/det ... der=newest

I called my SE - yep, it's available at that price!!
He now thinks you're interested. He'll be badgering you every 5 minutes to get rid of a car that won't sell. :lol:
I told him I'll wait until the end of the month... lol
It has a GFV of £63k after 4 years and 40k miles.
I like the colcour, my wife hates it. Been there, done that with a taycan...not sure I want to go there again
Macan
Taycan Turbo
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

The ST’s seem worse affected of all by depreciation. CT’s not much better but buying a new one of these at the moment (privately) is going to cost big time it seems…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Jon A wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:06 pm The ST’s seem worse affected of all by depreciation. CT’s not much better but buying a new one of these at the moment (privately) is going to cost big time it seems…
I doubt anyone will be buying these privately. Or at least not many.

911's on the other hand ......
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

wab172uk wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:07 pm
Jon A wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:06 pm The ST’s seem worse affected of all by depreciation. CT’s not much better but buying a new one of these at the moment (privately) is going to cost big time it seems…
I doubt anyone will be buying these privately. Or at least not many.

911's on the other hand ......
Yes you are probably right there. Lovely car but would take a 911 over one of these in a heartbeat 😊
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

It does seem odd, as I think that the ST is a good looking wagon, and a bit more practical than the saloon. :)

1BD4DE51-D578-4F9A-91FE-22B5C8989CF4.jpeg

Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

So to answer a few questions... So far it has been reliable. I have actually had 2. I started with a 4S and at the time there was a massive chip shortage then the waits went up to >1 year so I put down a deposit on a second one. Couldn't get a 4S in a sensible timescale so ordered a Turbo. My thinking was that there would be little or no depreciation. I was correct - only 5k in 10 months. Now of course is a different story and my current plan is to keep the Turbo for a long time. Bought through a limited company so the depreciation is tax free. Over 5-6 years it will still be a lot of money but more palatable than a short term exchange at the moment.

My heater works fine although I accept it could pack up. As per the loaner described, my screens occasionally go blank and re-boot. In the past it has periodically forgotten my radio favourites but that bug seems to have been sorted now. There are a few quirks, but so far nothing has stopped it driving. The 4S did spend some time getting a communication issue sorted out. I think it eventually had an electronic bit unplugged to reset it.

Both cars have been fantastic to drive. If you spend some time on the Taycan forum you will see that the RWD is probably software limited and a lot slower than the others. The 4S drops the 0-62 down to 4 seconds (I think RWD is 5.4) and Turbo down to 3.2.

Currently the 4S I sold has caught up the depreciation I never had and the difference between my old 4S and the Turbo remains the same as the difference between the new purchase prices (Autotrader figures). I suspect this is because I had to add £15k extras to the 4S but only £5k to the Turbo to get the same spec due to the standard Turbo spec being higher. Also got various extras that I didn't spec on the 4S. Like warp speed acceleration :D :D

I have to say that the cars are just awesome to drive. They are not going to handle as well as a 911 due to their weight, but the responsiveness is like driving around with the sport response button pressed all of the time. And when you want it to go, it really goes.

I do think that the whole electric thing is not quite ready for everyone yet, but since I do relatively few long journeys and have charging at home it is great for my use. The 4 seats are good as I can take people in the car easily. I recently went to Liverpool for a meeting - 3 of us went up and stayed for a few days and 4 came back in the car, no problems. There were strict instructions to limit luggage size though!

Now I have moved to a night time EV tariff the charging costs have dropped to ~3p/mile and it is easy to plug in at home. My charger is set to connect overnight and it works well.

I have no regrets buying either Taycan. If you think the electric could work for you then there are probably quite a lot of 1-2 year old cars around at a very good price. I doubt you would regret it!
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Ian.g wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:30 pm So to answer a few questions... So far it has been reliable. I have actually had 2. I started with a 4S and at the time there was a massive chip shortage then the waits went up to >1 year so I put down a deposit on a second one. Couldn't get a 4S in a sensible timescale so ordered a Turbo. My thinking was that there would be little or no depreciation. I was correct - only 5k in 10 months. Now of course is a different story and my current plan is to keep the Turbo for a long time. Bought through a limited company so the depreciation is tax free. Over 5-6 years it will still be a lot of money but more palatable than a short term exchange at the moment.

My heater works fine although I accept it could pack up. As per the loaner described, my screens occasionally go blank and re-boot. In the past it has periodically forgotten my radio favourites but that bug seems to have been sorted now. There are a few quirks, but so far nothing has stopped it driving. The 4S did spend some time getting a communication issue sorted out. I think it eventually had an electronic bit unplugged to reset it.

Both cars have been fantastic to drive. If you spend some time on the Taycan forum you will see that the RWD is probably software limited and a lot slower than the others. The 4S drops the 0-62 down to 4 seconds (I think RWD is 5.4) and Turbo down to 3.2.

Currently the 4S I sold has caught up the depreciation I never had and the difference between my old 4S and the Turbo remains the same as the difference between the new purchase prices (Autotrader figures). I suspect this is because I had to add £15k extras to the 4S but only £5k to the Turbo to get the same spec due to the standard Turbo spec being higher. Also got various extras that I didn't spec on the 4S. Like warp speed acceleration :D :D

I have to say that the cars are just awesome to drive. They are not going to handle as well as a 911 due to their weight, but the responsiveness is like driving around with the sport response button pressed all of the time. And when you want it to go, it really goes.

I do think that the whole electric thing is not quite ready for everyone yet, but since I do relatively few long journeys and have charging at home it is great for my use. The 4 seats are good as I can take people in the car easily. I recently went to Liverpool for a meeting - 3 of us went up and stayed for a few days and 4 came back in the car, no problems. There were strict instructions to limit luggage size though!

Now I have moved to a night time EV tariff the charging costs have dropped to ~3p/mile and it is easy to plug in at home. My charger is set to connect overnight and it works well.

I have no regrets buying either Taycan. If you think the electric could work for you then there are probably quite a lot of 1-2 year old cars around at a very good price. I doubt you would regret it!
Great write up Ian, very informative and balanced. I have admired Taycans for some time and have driven one and loved it!
My circumstances are similar to yours so running costs and ease of use will not be a problem - where we differ is that I would be a private buyer and depreciation will play a part as I doubt it would be particularly long term.
My only other concern is that it has a great party trick with its acceleration but lacks a little “soul” or drama at least for me.
Having said all that I think they look great and the interior is a fabulous place to be so swings and roundabouts.
Still probably best EV around and that’s saying something given how many get launched weekly it would seem 👍
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I’m also a private buyer. My decision was based upon wanting another Porsche, needing space for two teenagers and 2 small dogs and wanting a car rather than a SUV. the fact it runs on electric isn’t my reason but having another EV for the last two years I do enjoy the instant power and low running costs. Would love a 911 but it doesn’t suit my current needs.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

MCDK wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:59 pm I’m also a private buyer. My decision was based upon wanting another Porsche, needing space for two teenagers and 2 small dogs and wanting a car rather than a SUV. the fact it runs on electric isn’t my reason but having another EV for the last two years I do enjoy the instant power and low running costs. Would love a 911 but it doesn’t suit my current needs.
Similar to me. The Taycan is more usable than a 911 due to proper rear seats. If I hadn’t liked the Taycan I would have gone with a 911, but it wasn’t quite practical enough for my needs. Although a 911 would be fantastic to own I get more out of the Taycan because I can use it more due to the rear seats - adults just won’t sit in the back of a 911 for anything other than a short journey. It is probably the only car that would tempt me back from an EV though!