Pedal cover rattle

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Tonyedmunds

Post by Tonyedmunds »

Good morning to all
Does anyone have experience of a rattle coming from the plastic cover panel above the pedals 2015 gen1.
The cover seems to be properly fixed with torx bolts but it’s rather flimsy and rattles over our appalling Kent roads.
I was thinking maybe lining it with sound deadening material bur fearful of breaching warranty regs

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I’d start with anti rattle felt tape, or some foam padding. It’s probably what an OPC tech would do so won’t affect your warranty provided you don’t damage the panel or interfere with pedal movement.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Tonyedmunds

Post by Tonyedmunds »

Thanks Nick, that was my thinking too,
Have to admit to being surprised at rattles in a modern Porsche, my previous Evoque had all sorts of interior plastic mouldings but was rattle free after 6 years.
dlgis

Post by dlgis »

Yes, I’ve just dealt with this on my 2023 GTS. I was getting a slight but noticeable buzzing noise from the flimsy panel you describe on “Kent” roads. The solution i used was a small square of approx 5mm thick dense foam rubber (anything similar would do) above a tab at the centre rear to stop it rubbing against metal. It looked to me like the tab should really have a torx screw to pin it to the metalwork, but maybe got deleted to save costs?
No more buzzing on “Kent” roads, but I’ve yet to try the dreaded “Sussex” roads.😆
Darryl
Macan GTS 2023
happy days

Post by happy days »

Tonyedmunds wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:16 am Good morning to all
Does anyone have experience of a rattle coming from the plastic cover panel above the pedals 2015 gen1.
The cover seems to be properly fixed with torx bolts but it’s rather flimsy and rattles over our appalling Kent roads.
I was thinking maybe lining it with sound deadening material bur fearful of breaching warranty regs
Surely a 2015 would be well out of warranty by now?
Macan S D
718 S
Tonyedmunds

Post by Tonyedmunds »

Thanks for the help guys
Glad to hear it’s not just me , digis you are spot on with the vibration noise, the panel is secured on the front edge but seems to float on the back edge.
The panel sits close to what I think is a ventilation duct and I’m planning on inserting foam to brace it.
I was fortunate to get AP warranty to March 2026 hence my caution.
Tonyedmunds

Post by Tonyedmunds »

Success😁
Pushed a 100x50 piece of closed cell foam ( 10mm thick) between the panel and the air duct .Double checked it doesn’t interfere with any moving parts and is also easily removed ( just a friction fit)
Panel no longer vibrating with that annoying tinny noise, which to be fair was only on poor road surfaces.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Tonyedmunds wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:06 pm Success😁
Pushed a 100x50 piece of closed cell foam ( 10mm thick) between the panel and the air duct .Double checked it doesn’t interfere with any moving parts and is also easily removed ( just a friction fit)
Panel no longer vibrating with that annoying tinny noise, which to be fair was only on poor road surfaces.
Saved yourself £500 at an OPC, result! :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP